Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to object to Planning Permission

(13 Posts)
Socksey Wed 13-Jun-18 14:08:41

Hi,
Putting this here as not sure where is better... also I'm expecting lots of varied opinions.
I live on quite a steep slope in a terraced house and behind me is a lane with two semi detached houses. All houses have been there for over 100 years and no issues. The terraces all have gardens which run uphill to the lane (if that makes sense) and the semis also have this arrangement but with substantially larger gardens. So their amenity area and area for play and relaxation etc is behind their house... as is ours. One of the houses is directly behind mine and had a parking area and garage.... this was all fine.
Recently they have put in for planning permission to have a veranda area at the roof level of their former garage (they knocked this down already). This will undoubtedly give them a lovely view across the valley but will also have them basically directly looking into all of their neighbours gardens. There is no option of putting up fences or trees as the slope is such that their front door is above the level of our gardens anyway. They already have lots of outdoor space in comparison to us (I don't have an issue with that at all... ) but what I do have a problem with is that any time we want to sit out in the sun or my neighbours do, we can effectively be observed by our neighbour above us. This is a very different situation to the neighbour in the semi just coming in and out of their house as normal. I think the lower neighbours are all feeling a little uncomfortable about this.... as the only way to escape the higher level neighbour's gaze is to go indoors. We do not have front gardens, as our houses at the front are straight out onto the road.
Would WBU to object and is our objection likely to be upheld?
We are in Wales, if that makes any difference.
Thanks for any suggestions etc...

GardenGeek Wed 13-Jun-18 14:10:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GardenGeek Wed 13-Jun-18 14:13:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bathildab Wed 13-Jun-18 14:15:47

Of course object. It's your right.
In my experience planners are pretty hot on roof terraces and constructions that allow people to luxuriate overlooking a neighbour's garden where they did not have that right before.

TrickyD Wed 13-Jun-18 14:17:07

You have nothing to lose by objectng. I would. Good luck.

Socksey Wed 13-Jun-18 14:28:29

Thanks.
While part of me doesn't want to be 'that neighbour', the other part of me doesn't want to completely lose my privacy in my garden. And I don't really know what my right to privacy is here.

Kraggle Wed 13-Jun-18 14:33:08

I’m fairly sure the planners will look at this anyway but there’s no harm objecting. Our next door neighbour is having an extension done and on the plans they have to have high windows with obscured glass on the side that overlooks another neighbours drive to protect their privacy.

smudgedlipstick Wed 13-Jun-18 14:39:56

It used to be if they receive more than three objections it has to go to a planning meeting where residents can attend and give opinions and a decision is made there instead, so def worth putting a complaint in if it's going to affect you and your neighbours.

Seeline Wed 13-Jun-18 14:45:40

Definitely object. It might be useful to send photos to illustrate your concerns if that is possible. The Planning Officer should do a site visit, but you could ask if they can come to your property to view it from your perspective. They don't have to, but again it's worth asking.
Different Councils have different rules as to when applications need to go to a Planning committee. You should be able to find out from the Council website.

Marmablade Wed 13-Jun-18 15:13:17

Balconies aren't allowed under 'permitted development' because of how intrusive they can be so there's definitely precedence for objecting.

KentishLady2018 Wed 13-Jun-18 15:29:50

Definitely object. And get all your neighbours to too.

Our neighbour decided they were going to raise their lawn level so on their side of the 6 foot fence it was actually only 4 foot high, so any time anyone walked on their lawn they were looking straight down in to our NDN's garden!

They complained to the council as it hadn't had planning permission and they forced them to erect some screening to elevate their side back to 6 feet again. Of course, this does mean that my NDN now has an 8 foot fence at the bottom of their garden.

The point of this is that the council DO that these things in to consideration, and I would be hopeful that in the absence of being able to increase your screening that they would reject the planning permission outright.

Laiste Wed 13-Jun-18 15:30:08

Might be worth while mentioning that they will be seeing into your actual house OP, if that could be the case?

We’ve just got planning permission for a big extension so am aware of what the planning officers look for here. IIRC in our area you couldn’t have a new window or viewing area within 40 meters of a neighbors existing window.

(Luckily we’re well away from anyone else 😁)

Knittedfairies Wed 13-Jun-18 15:49:16

Of course you should object, if you have objections. That’s all part of the planning process.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: