Talk

Advanced search

Is Eurocamp the best holiday for toddlers?

(30 Posts)
sunsandandwaterslides Wed 13-Jun-18 13:35:40

People always come on here around this time of year asking for recommendations for holidays and no one ever recommends eurocamp.

I am right now saw by the side of the pool at a eurocamp site in France whilst my husband is in the pool with our eldest (3) and baby (20mth) is asleep in the pushchair. Holidays with toddlers can be a nightmare but this is surprisingly enjoyable. To be fair this is our second year at this particular camp. It has 3 good size outdoor slides that my toddler will go down on his own as long as someone is at the bottom of course, outdoor splash and indoor splash. Indoor pool etc of course good value as it is June.

As I am at here by the pool I am now thinking of next years holiday. We will be restricted to August due to work commitments. Is euro camp going to be our best bet again? Is it stupidly busy in August? It is perfect for our kids. The slides are all terrific. Is there anywhere better to go with toddlers? Next year we will have a 4 yr old and almost 3 year old. I don't know if I want to spend 2 weeks in a eurocamp -only eve done one week. Where else is good to go with very young children for 2 weeks?

As an aside, this place is awesome for toddlers. Le littoral. Vendee region.

thunderbirdthree Wed 13-Jun-18 14:28:59

Thanks for the recommendation...we're thinking of Eurocamping with a toddler next year so I'm going to look into that location.

I spent almost every summer as a kid at a Eurocamp site and I have the best memories of it, I really do. We had one of the huge tents. Loved every minute.

Ohsuchaperfectday Wed 13-Jun-18 14:38:20

Many camp sites have different operators in them including euro camp, eg canvas etc.

It's worth checking if your look at sole euro camp, or campsite with different options. The actual euro camp acxmd and reps have gone a bit down hill in recent years always check trip advisors etc.

StopMakingItDifficult Wed 13-Jun-18 14:43:39

We’ve just come back from a Eurocamp (Les Menhirs in Carnac) and we’re unimpressed. The caravans were no more than a few feet apart, you’d open your curtains and be staring directly at another person, the parking spaces were tiny and almost impossible to get in, the kids club was just ‘chuck a few footballs in the tennis court and leave them to it’, or some variant of that and the park was just a climbing frame and one little slide. The actual caravans were awful too, covered in stinging nettles and falling apart.

I had wonderful memories of Euro camp as a kid but it was a bloody long week and I’m glad to be home.

SometimesMaybe Wed 13-Jun-18 14:46:02

We did Eurocamp in August a couple of years ago and it was incredibly busy. Really hard to get sun beds and the pools were busy so hard to keep an eye on the children. The following year we did an all inclusive in a quieter hotel (though still with kids club, mini disco etc) and it was much better. Still busy, still hot but it worked out cheaper than the Europcamp for much better accommodation.

Ohsuchaperfectday Wed 13-Jun-18 14:47:04

I think Euro camp has taken over brand like hoover.

We stayed at camp site recently.. No euro camp operator.. Private and we stayed in lodge provided by owner. Really nice, hedges between each one lots of privacy..

We could see canvas on same site.. All crammed in no hedges etc.

Another site is berne riviera.. Again read reviews of people's staying through euro camp and its dire but people who booked through canvas had better time and you can stay direct with owners as well... But it's refereed to as a euro camp it's not. They just have some acxmd on site...

Notquiterichenough Wed 13-Jun-18 14:47:57

Loved eurocamp holidays - we have done around 15 over the last 10 years - but we weren't impressed with the cost/service at our usual parc this year. We've just rebooked with Al Fresco next year, and trying Canvas this summer.

Can't beat the holidays, and they even work with teenagers, but do look at the other companies.

August will be busy, lots of teenagers, so in your position, I'd go for a smaller parc.

flamingofridays Wed 13-Jun-18 14:52:36

im interested in this thread as I have booked to go to cala gogo in august with a 2yo and a 13yo and dp.

I thought it would be good as toddler can nap / go to bed and we can sit on the deck or outside the van in the evening sunshine instead of stuck in a stuffy apartment.

I haven't booked with euro camp I have booked with lifestyle as they were miles and miles cheaper.

hoping its good and we love it..

StopMakingItDifficult Wed 13-Jun-18 14:53:55

We were considering using Al Fresco if we ever went back - all the Al Fresco caravans seemed pretty new and nicely decorated and had one caravan in the same space that Eurocamp had 2 in.

Stinkbomb Wed 13-Jun-18 14:54:28

I went to Eurocamp last year and it was nice but a bit tired.
A friend has recommended yellohvillage to me though - they've just got back and it was cheaper and newer than Eurocamp, so going to look at that for next year.

faeriequeen Wed 13-Jun-18 15:01:01

That's really odd - we loved Eurocamp Les Menhirs in Carnac. We parked really easily and our lodge was great. We thought the pools were great too and loved the location. Didn't see a single nettle!

faeriequeen Wed 13-Jun-18 15:02:36

Didn't use the kids club though - our daughter was too little

StopMakingItDifficult Wed 13-Jun-18 15:06:35

faerie the pools were great and there was some fantastic stuff to do nearby. It was just a shame there was no open space in the site at all to play football/ frisbee etc. Every single square metre was accounted for.

You must have had a different area of the park to us. We were behind the little park and I think every single person on our little road knocked their caravan parking at some point. Whenever anyone saw the person opposite trying to leave/ get in everyone piled out to help and try and prevent anything else getting flattened! It was really stressful and the Belgian couple opposite completely flattened their bikes doing it.

dogdaydisaster Wed 13-Jun-18 15:07:37

I've been to Le Littoral in August and yes it is busy. Hard to get pool seats etc. Also there seemed to be very little shade around the pool. But its a great site with loads of amenities and the pool complex is great.

When dd was little, we camped for many years at Camping Bel in La Tranche, also with eurocamp. that's a smaller, family run site in walking distance from a lovely town and the beach. it was a more quiet park, with a very laid back feel. The only downside is the unheated pool, but kids didn't seem to mind it. We prefer the beach anyway so it wasn't an issue.

We didn't generally find better than camping bel and eurocamp in general.

sunsandandwaterslides Wed 13-Jun-18 15:12:54

Sorry - just been in the pool. I guess when I say euro camp I do mean all the other types of camp companies but we are using euro camp at the moment because of the military discount. Believe it is also nhs discount. The euro camp contingent on this site is small. About 10-15 vans. The rest are yelloh village which I believe is French and a small Irish company. The facilities are excellent and at this stage don't really have any interest in kids club but the set up for that looks good. There is a patisserie and a restaurant.

sunsandandwaterslides Wed 13-Jun-18 15:14:04

I don't really want to come back you the same place 3 years on the run and I am concerned about level of business. It is quiet here at the moment. A few Irish families as I believe they are off school at the moment.

sunsandandwaterslides Wed 13-Jun-18 15:19:26

I just want to go somewhere with a good pool complex for toddlers that isn't too busy in August. Such a place probably doesn't exist

Ohsuchaperfectday Wed 13-Jun-18 15:31:33

Yelloh have very good reputation at moment.

LadySerenaCarlow Wed 13-Jun-18 15:39:57

oh my dcs loved Eurocamp (or similar - I forget which companies we went with) when they were younger. Really loved it.

I didn't so much (I'm not a caravan fan) but we always went to a place (Spain or Italy mostly) where we could tour around and spend a few days elsewhere too.

It's cheap and easy and they love it.

My sister took her kids around the world for a year, starting off in a eurocamp place. The thing the children talked about after? The eurocamp.

LadySerenaCarlow Wed 13-Jun-18 15:41:33

oh OP we used to do a week in a eurocamp and then a few days in a city. So once did campsite in Spain and then went to Barcelona. Did the same in Italy - camp in Tuscany then off to Venice and Rome for a few days. Best of both worlds maybe, the the camping is much easier with little ones (and they enjoy it more).

froomeonthebroom Wed 13-Jun-18 15:43:14

I love that type of holiday but book direct with the site as it's cheaper!

FlowerPotMum Wed 13-Jun-18 16:23:25

It's something I'm looking into for next year. My two will be older and we've never been abroad. We'd be travelling from up North.. is it too long a drive? It do we fly?! I'm clueless. We love pools and nightlife but not mancially busy. The cheaper the better. Any starter points?! Sorry to thread hijack OP.

Jeezoh Wed 13-Jun-18 16:42:43

Try Siblu in France - cheaper than Eurocamp and you can choose the caravan pitch you want so you end up in the part of the park you prefer.

sunsandandwaterslides Wed 13-Jun-18 16:49:25

flowerpot you can fly and drive with a hire car but we live crazy close to a ferry port so boat makes more sense for us. We are doing Sat - Sun accom was £450 and ferry £400. We like to get the overnight on the Friday and cabin is compulsory so pushes price up but all in all good value

LagunaBubbles Wed 13-Jun-18 16:51:59

We are off to 2 Eurocamps this year, 1 in Brittany for a week and then 1 further south for 1 week. We drive to France every year from West Scotland, last year stayed in Brittany and met a couple who had booked the same camp through the Sun Holidays. and paid a 3rd of what we had paid, so thought we would try it this year. Got a week for £187 so thats why we booked the other one!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: