Talk

Advanced search

To ask what's normal with MRIs?

(13 Posts)
Elspeth12345 Wed 13-Jun-18 11:32:28

My Mum had an MRI scan about two-three weeks ago. She phoned her GP practice for the results on Monday and was told that while there was 'No urgent issues', she needed to book to see her GP to discuss the results. She has an appointment for Friday.

She had a CT scan a couple of months ago and was just told 'All fine' when she phoned up so this is a bit odd. At the time she was told that the CT would not show up any aneurysms and as she has a family history of them (her grandma died from an aneurysm at a relatively young age), she should have the MRI too.

The MRI was for persistent, very severe migraines. She has had them for years, which I think suggests they're less likely to be caused by anything malignant BUT she has most recently been waking up in the very early morning with very severe migraines.

Is it normal to be called in to discuss MRI results or if everything is ok then would they have told her so?

Elspeth12345 Wed 13-Jun-18 11:49:17

Pleasegodgotosleep Wed 13-Jun-18 12:11:58

I think it's totally normal. My mum just had an MRI for persistent back problems. Took 2/3 weeks for results and she had to make a GP appointment to review them. Nothing serious either.

JamPasty Wed 13-Jun-18 12:27:47

Off topic slightly, but is she dehydrated? That can cause morning migraines.

Freaklikemeee Wed 13-Jun-18 12:32:12

An aneurysm would be an urgent issue. But the MRI could have shown a different abnormality. There might not be any urgent action required but it could still need discussion of options with GP.

eyycarumba Wed 13-Jun-18 12:32:39

Totally normal. They will need to speak to her about other options/investigations if the results are clear.

Missm00 Wed 13-Jun-18 12:36:33

Might sound strange but when was the last time she saw an optician? And had the photographs of the eyes done?
That can sometimes pick up if there are physical reasons for headaches/ migraines,

busybarbara Wed 13-Jun-18 13:35:33

It's probably the doctor wanting to talk about further courses of action rather than just ending it here.

With that said, very minor aneurysms are not urgent. Indeed it is not uncommon to have something minor with a negligible risk of trouble on an annual basis. This is why people are not suggested to get scans they don't need as it can cause distress if they're faced with the impossible choice of holding on to an aneurysm with a 1% annual chance of rupture or go through an operation with a 10% fatality rate.

Elspeth12345 Fri 15-Jun-18 11:59:23

Thanks busybarbara, that's what I wondered about. She's at the GP just now so I'll find out soon.

Thanks Pleasegodgotosleep, that's reassuring. I hope your Mum's back condition improves.

Thanks JamPasty. I don't think so because she's always drinking water/tea and keeps a jug of water in her room at night. She doesn't drink alcohol so is never hung over either.

Thanks Freaklikemeee, just waiting to hear from her now.

Thanks eyycarumba. I would love the results to be all clear.

Thanks Missm00, I think she had a sight test within the last 6 months including the scan/photographs.

Elspeth12345 Fri 15-Jun-18 13:30:13

Just to update- my Mum has a 2mm aneurysm and is being referred to a Neurologist.

busybarbara Fri 15-Jun-18 14:26:29

Oh no, poor you and DM. However, the good news is 2mm is considered very small in most people. The dilemma comes if it makes the patient nervous enough to consider risky treatment versus just letting it sit. If it turns out to be non-urgent and she is of an age/wisdom where she is happy to leave things alone, it could well turn out to not be a big deal at all. Fingers crossed for you!

BlackeyedSusan Fri 15-Jun-18 14:54:55

good they have have found it.

Elspeth12345 Tue 19-Jun-18 12:16:47

Thanks busybarbara and BlackeyedSusan.

It does seem very small but I've read a few papers suggesting that they do still rupture sometimes particularly if there is a family history of ruptured aneurysm. My Mum's grandmother died from a cerebral aneurysm and had a related heart condition. Hopefully the Neurologist will just want to monitor it but she might also have an Echo to check that she doesn't have bicuspid aortic valve.

There was another finding on the scan which might also suggest that they'll opt to treat it but I'm hoping not as I know coiling carries risks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: