Talk

Advanced search

If I'm overdrawn will my atm card get swallowed?

(15 Posts)
HannaPintura Wed 13-Jun-18 07:22:13

It's the end of the month and I don't have much money. I just had enough for a single bus ticket in my account, but today I went and got a weekly ticket and paid on card on bus. I can't access cash to put in the bank, so inevitebly, I will go overdrawn. It'll be for two days til I get paid. My question is, if I use my bank card in an atm once I get paid again, will my card get swallowed by the machine? Thanks. I'm all of a tizz!

NewYearNewMe18 Wed 13-Jun-18 07:23:44

No, it will be spat back

ny20005 Wed 13-Jun-18 07:23:45

No

loobylou10 Wed 13-Jun-18 07:23:53

Hi. Not unless the bank have put a marker on the account to get it back. Your best bet would be to speak to someone there and get a temp overdraft.

bluerunningshoes Wed 13-Jun-18 07:24:16

no. if will not get swallowed.
you will have to pay fees on the overdraft though.

hannah1992 Wed 13-Jun-18 07:24:38

No it won’t. Once you get paid the amount you have gone overdrawn will be taken from it.

Is it a planned overdraft or not? If not be very careful because banks can put charges on and each bank varies as to how much so I would check that too

NewYearNewMe18 Wed 13-Jun-18 07:24:38

Sorry misread your OP

No, if you have funds after being paid, you're card wont be eaten by the ATM (unless its reported stolen or similar)

Whackytaco Wed 13-Jun-18 07:25:02

I would think once your wages are in and there is money in your account again, it would be ok.

HannaPintura Wed 13-Jun-18 07:27:15

Hello everyone, thanks for your replies. The money hasn't gone out yet so I will ring the bank and sort.

NotTakenUsername Wed 13-Jun-18 07:27:56

If this is a one off, contact your bank once the fee is applied. It will likely be about £20, but if this is the first time it has happened they should waive it for you if you ask and point that out.

Butterymuffin Wed 13-Jun-18 07:50:37

If you do online banking you can often request an increase to your overdraft via that. I've done this. But the machine won't keep your card, it just won't give you cash.

HannaPintura Wed 13-Jun-18 07:51:25

That's great thanks NotTaken smile

I have some very important bank transfers on the day I get paid. All in all, I will only be overdrawn £12 plus overdraft charges. Will the overdraft affect me making these bank transfers? Thanks for all your advice, you've all set my mind at rest.

TheActualRealCinderella Wed 13-Jun-18 07:53:25

It can swallow your card if you get the pin wrong too many times or if for some reason the bank has put a marker on your account that your card shouldn’t be used - usually to do with fraud.

WeirdAndPissedOff Wed 13-Jun-18 07:59:31

If your overdraft isn't arranged with the bank, then you won't be able to complete the transfers while overdrawn, but once your balance is back above zero it won't have any effect at all. If it's an agreed overdraft it won't have any effect at all.

Re the charges, if you can't get these waived keep an eye on your balance for the rest of the month, as charges tend to come out of your account about 2-3 weeks later and can send you overdrawn again if you haven't budgeted for it.

HannaPintura Wed 13-Jun-18 08:03:47

Thanks weird, I'll keep a close eye on it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: