Talk

Advanced search

Gutted for DD1 - prizegiving

(163 Posts)
BathshebaKnickerStickers Tue 12-Jun-18 22:45:01

Devastated tonight for Dd1.

She is brilliant at school. She tries so hard. She has just had an amazing report, great comments and near the top in almost all her subjects.

2 years ahead of her year group in 2 of her subjects.

Having counselling at the moment (school knows) about some MH problems.

2 lots of (intimate) surgery this year and months and months of healing and painful complications.

It was her school prize giving tonight. First thing I knew was her friends’ parents posting on Facebook about how proud they are.

I’m sure their children deserve it, it just seems so unfair that it’s almost a secret accolade for the chosen few.

No wonder her self esteem is through her boots - there is no system to positively feedback the “almost”.

Phosphorus Tue 12-Jun-18 22:50:35

Did she just not tell you about it?

Wasn't it mentioned online, or in a newsletter?

Bookemdannoplease Tue 12-Jun-18 22:55:47

Is she bothered by it? Sometimes as parents we can see how unfair things are but dcs aren't that bothered until we mention it. Prob a cliche but what doesn't kill you makes u stronger.In a few months time u and she hopefully will have forgotten about it. There's nothing u can do to change it. It's just a school prize. You sound proud of her already and as long as she knows that then she doesn't need a prize (or some daft posting on fb-why do parents feel the need to do this? -can't they simply tell their dc or does the dc have to read it on fb? No one else is interested really)

BathshebaKnickerStickers Tue 12-Jun-18 22:58:05

It’s invite only - as it is at out primary school.

You are only invited if your child gets a prize.

Despite an amazing report, being 2 years ahead of her levels in 2 subjects, and having broken the “reading age” gauge to the extent that she is out with the range of grading her “reading age”.... she hasn’t been acknowledged

It’s not just her obviously. It’s her and all the other “nearly a” in the school.

Dermymc Tue 12-Jun-18 22:59:05

Our school used to do the secret night for those who got a prize. It was bloody wierd and I was usually invited.

Looking back it was obviously a numbers limit. You couldn't fit 1000 kids plus parents in one room. So they only invited those with awards.

The Facebook thing is odd.

Notcontent Tue 12-Jun-18 23:00:45

I disapprove of prize giving at school for that reason. It can make children who try really hard and do well, but just short of “best”, feel very disheartened.

Btw, I avoid social media as I have no need to hear about how proud, how blessed, everyone is !!!!!!!

MaisyPops Tue 12-Jun-18 23:01:41

I get why you're gutted, but by the same token, there isn't space to give awards to everyone in a ceremony.

We get 2 nominations for our subject for prize giving per year group. I can think of at least 10 in each of my own classes who would deserve it. We get 10 nominations for over 1,000 students we teach in y7-11.

Sadly, it's not about not recognising the "almost" and I'm not entirely convinved you can blame school for her self esteem. Ultimately, schools will have more children who they could give awards to than there are awards. There has to be a line drawn and a decision made.

OwlinaTree Tue 12-Jun-18 23:02:11

They often reward children who have achieved from a low starting point or those who perhaps have less parental support, when an award might be the thing to spur them on to great things.

Equally sometimes very little thought goes into the choice.

We can't all be winners sadly. With your daughter's amazing scores she sounds like she will be fine without an award!

ICouldBeSomebodyYouKnow Tue 12-Jun-18 23:05:17

I hear you, OP. My DCs went through primary school with hardly a 'star of the week' between them, yet were consistently praised for good behaviour, politeness, helpfulness etc and were both strong at all or most subjects - but just never the outstanding one, so they never got any public recognition. Prizes seemed to go to the class swot / naturally brilliant pupils, or to those whose behaviour had improved a lot (usually from a very low base!).
Most kids hate prize-giving apparently: it's the parents who love it.

In a few years it won't matter any more, but that's no comfort today.

Wearywithteens Tue 12-Jun-18 23:05:39

My boss was invited as a VIP to offer a ‘prize’ at my dc’s school - she asked me if mine were getting anything - I was too embarrassed to admit I didn’t realise they had prize giving - my kids had never been nominated despite being hard workers, bright, kind, well behaved blah blah - I turned out when I interrogated my dc that the ones that always get the prizes are the ones that make the school look good - the musicians, sports medal winners, the freaky geniuses etc. I am still mad about it but my dc’s couldn’t have cared less - they saw it for what it was and more importantly it didn’t knock their ability to be good citizens (me on the other hand, am scarred by it...wink)

Guacamoledip Tue 12-Jun-18 23:05:51

My son has won a few awards over his time at school and they are invite only for only the winners parents. The class numbers are really small at his school and I obviously don’t know how many prizes are given out at yours but there are two lots of awards at my sons school. Winter and summer, it seems children will win one. I don’t think they leave people out so she will more than likely get one next time round especially given how hard she’s trying.

GreenTulips Tue 12-Jun-18 23:07:03

I disagree with the prize giving as schools push the equality message and how it's more important to work hard and try your best etc .... but then reward the 'top' sets.

Smacks of double standards

longlostpal Tue 12-Jun-18 23:09:59

Ehh I don’t know. Prizes are there to mark (usually) academic achievement, not boost self esteem. I don’t think it’s a problem that they’re competitive or go to the ‘naturally brilliant’ or ‘class swot’ hmm. It helps those kids stand out on university applications, and honours academic excellence for its own sake. I think that’s ok.

MrsDylanBlue Tue 12-Jun-18 23:13:15

Take her out, spoil her, tell her what a prize she is to you and how special she is l.

sweeneytoddsrazor Tue 12-Jun-18 23:18:12

Class swot is a horrid phrase

crunchtime Tue 12-Jun-18 23:18:42

my kid IS the class swot-top set for everything, involved in school drama in a huge way, consistently well behaved ...and he never gets anything at prize giving either!
I have no idea how they decide who gets the prizes!

Miladamermalada Tue 12-Jun-18 23:19:14

but she has been rewarded-by good grades and a fab report.
If we focused on winning prizes for self esteem most of us would have none.
And harsh but true-special circumstances don't mean you deserve them more than anyone else except on the x factor, you don't know the other kids' circumstances.
Just treat her and love her for everything she's achieved.
Are you sure it's her you're devastated for and not you?

Miladamermalada Tue 12-Jun-18 23:21:49

How old is she? I do find the focus on reading levels a bit odd if I'm honest, though she's obviously done amazing. They all catch up in the end.

ICouldBeSomebodyYouKnow Tue 12-Jun-18 23:22:08

Class swot is a horrid phrase
It was I who used it: I was the 'class swot' in my class, all the way through primary, and collected prizes galore.

MrsBertBibby Tue 12-Jun-18 23:22:23

My son's school gives "effort" prizes, so a decent number per class get an award despite not coming top. They give subject prizes too, and then millions of sport and music stuff.

DevaDiva Tue 12-Jun-18 23:23:09

My DD is yr11 always been in the top 3 of the class in every subject, great attendance, well mannered and excellent reports...but never been invited to the prize giving.

She's isn't bothered and it only annoys me once a year that she seems to be totally overlooked because she just gets her head down and gets on with it. DS is yr8 and I suspect the same will apply.

Talkingfrog Tue 12-Jun-18 23:23:43

When I was in school, they gave a prize for best in each subject and most effort in each subject.
My daughters primary has certificate assembly regularly. The school awards certificates for a number of reasons not just academic achievement (my daughter has been awarded one for following the school ethos in being kind and helpful to other children). They also allow children to bring in badges/certificates from out of school activities such as dance, swimming, gym, music, rainbows, cubs etc to celebrate those achievements too. It means everyone gets a chance.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 12-Jun-18 23:26:14

Tbf, Secret, invite only prize givings are much better than being forced to sit through the bloody things every year while the same people get the prizes.

MaisyPops Tue 12-Jun-18 23:27:44

deva That probably won't be the reason.
My guess is every other subject probabpy thought your DC would get loads of awards so they've gone for someone else.

I was talking about one of my pupils to our head of year about awards and the HOY and I said wr need to double check X for pastoral award because she'll probably already get A B C. We collect everything in and check there's nobody getting an award more than once (because there's not loads of awards and we have loads of talented and hard working students).
I bet your DCs school people have avoided her because she'll get an award from everyone and nobody has checked.

UghAgh Tue 12-Jun-18 23:35:24

Try being at a small private primary school (overseas) where a lot of your kids schoolmates have parents who donate a lot of money to the school and who are former students. Put it this way a kid who had previously had to be restrained by police having attacked teachers on two separate occasions got one of the main prizes and every single child who had an alumni as a parent got an award. It was shameless. ☹️

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: