Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Colchester St Johns area soon

(12 Posts)
Catskel Tue 12-Jun-18 20:18:51

Hi, we are moving into the St Johns area soon. We like the area hence why we are moving there, but we don’t know the area overly that well, so would appreciate any feedback on ‘living in St Johns area’ please.

Many thanks in advance 😊🏡

FASH84 Tue 12-Jun-18 20:37:03

Hi are you talking about the highwoods area?

Catskel Tue 12-Jun-18 21:13:29

Hi, if your heading up the Ipswich road round about, instead of going left onto highwoods, go right instead that’s St John road. 😊

FASH84 Tue 12-Jun-18 23:18:12

I think it's better than monkwick or greenstead. Largely residential. Colchester town is nice, little cafes and independent shops, good stuff at the local theatre and lots of available community groups if that's your thing, as well as the usual suspects shop and restaurant wise. I used to work in the area, lots of home visits etc and nothing really stood out about st John's or Highwoods, but in my industry that's not a bad thing.

Singlenotsingle Tue 12-Jun-18 23:24:27

Just a normal little residential area, not got a bad reputation. Just a short bus ride into town but it's handy for the A12 as well.

Colchester's good, especially the Castle and grounds.

Dieu Wed 13-Jun-18 00:21:27

I live in Edinburgh - and am Scottish - but spent years living in Colchester. My two eldest were born there! I loved it; it truly was a really nice place to bring up children, and the toddler groups were incredibly friendly. I also taught there. SUCH a nice town. Not sure everyone would agree, but I have only positive stuff to say.

Catskel Wed 13-Jun-18 06:43:35

Thanks for your message back 😊

Catskel Wed 13-Jun-18 06:45:39

Thanks everyone, glad to hear it seems like a nice quiet place, no problems😊

Cob1987 Thu 30-Aug-18 12:02:18

Looking to move to Colchester in July 2019. Been looking at highwoods and blackheath. Am so confused where to pick and worried ill make a bad area choice. Have 7 year old and 2 year old x

Catskel Thu 30-Aug-18 12:31:20

Hi, recently moved to St John's, which is near Highwoods and love it here. I drive so literally a 5 min drive into town. But if you don't drive and want to use a bus, it's every 20 mins into town and on a good day only takes 10 mins to get into town on the bus.
Definitely recommend the area, have friends who live in Highwoods who love it there as well. I work Blackheath way and wouldn't recommend that area so much. Hope you find somewhere lovely 😊

Cob1987 Thu 30-Aug-18 14:31:35

Can you recommend good schools to look in to please? As we wont be able to move till end of school year i worry about getting my daughther a place. Also my son in a nursery as he will be 3. Thanks

Catskel Thu 30-Aug-18 15:27:24

Hi, my children are in college and nearly finished secondary school so I am not sure regarding primary schools. I didn't live in Colchester when my kids were that age. But Friars Grove Primary school St Johns area and Highwoods Community Primary school seem good. I think there's a nursery relatively nearby, short car journey called Buzy Bees neare severalls as well. Sorry couldn't be more help. But best of luck with it all. Just bare in mind the good schools get full quickly! It's a lovely area to live. 😊

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: