Talk

Advanced search

To have cancelled?

(51 Posts)
ILikeMyChickenFried Tue 12-Jun-18 17:09:29

On Saturday we had a BBQ for DH's birthday. We invited his sister and her boyfriend. We asked them to arrive at 3ish.
At 4.30 she messaged me to say they'd be over soon but her boyfriend had wanted to take a nap. I asked if she had a new ETA and she said let's just wait and see when he wakes up.

By this point it was 5ish, he BBQ was ready to cook, we were hungry and in an hour and a half would have to start getting the children to bed. I said it would maybe be better if they didnt come. She's ignored me and DH since, so was AIBU to cancel?

Ratbagcatbag Tue 12-Jun-18 17:11:00

God no. That's so so rude. I'd be furious, especially at being due at 3 and not messaging until 4:30. What on earth was she thinking.

Trinity66 Tue 12-Jun-18 17:11:05

umm no, how rude of her :/

icelollycraving Tue 12-Jun-18 17:11:34

Well she was a bit rude. Probably better to have said that you were starting the barbecue as the kids were hungry and hoped they could still make it.

MissVanjie Tue 12-Jun-18 17:12:27

Not at all, she was rude af. A nap? Is he 3? hmm

allyouneedis Tue 12-Jun-18 17:12:42

Not at all. Unless he BF has a medical condition that means he falls asleep at random times then it’s just plain rude to not make the effort to come at 3. She’s probably feeling a bit embarrassed and that’s why she’s ignoring you.

Neverender Tue 12-Jun-18 17:12:43

Were there loads of other people there or was it just them? I think this makes a difference.

Nofilter Tue 12-Jun-18 17:12:48

Sounds like they maybe had a row... maybe ask if she’s ok?

KittyVonCatsworth Tue 12-Jun-18 17:13:21

SWDBU how very rude shock what does your poor DH have to say about it? I hope he’s calling her out for her bad behaviour.

HopeAndJoy16 Tue 12-Jun-18 17:14:54

No YANBU! I'm fairly laid back with lateness (as in other people's, i try to be pn time myself) but that takes the absolute piss! 30 mins late, fine. An hour is pushing it and anything after that is plain rude. She's in the wrong and she knows it. Why didn't she just come without her boyfriend?

SoddingUnicorns Tue 12-Jun-18 17:15:35

Oh fuck that, I wouldn’t have waited in those circumstances. A nap is not an emergency, and she (and her boyfriend) were extremely selfish and rude.

ILikeMyChickenFried Tue 12-Jun-18 17:15:43

He was annoyed about the BBQ, more annoyed that she's now sulking. We've both tried to be in touch since but she is ignoring us.

It was just supposes to be us and them.

Caribou58 Tue 12-Jun-18 17:17:44

I once invited a couple - close friends, or so I thought - over to have dinner with (now ex) DH and me. I cooked a load of tapas because it was her favourite food.

He showed up at the appointed time of 7pm, no sign of her - she'd called him earlier to say she'd gone up town (London) to see an afternoon film with another friend.

To cut a long story short, she finally rolled up at 10.15pm, absolutely shit-faced. We had - obviously - already eaten, having waited until 9pm.

He took her home immediately, I vowed not to speak to her unless she apologised and she sort of did, eventually, after 4 weeks.

After two more incidences of he treating me like crap, however, I cut her off forever.

Iloveacurry Tue 12-Jun-18 17:19:34

They should be apologising, very rude of them.

AnnieOH1 Tue 12-Jun-18 17:25:30

I don't normally say this but to me it's a huge red flag that there may be abuse in their relationship. If he'd fallen asleep was she too scared to even attempt to wake him maybe?

Is she ignoring your DH too?

Turquoise123 Tue 12-Jun-18 17:26:58

not really how you could cancel at 4.30 something that should have started at 3 - it's the case that they did not arrive surely ?

DarlingNikita Tue 12-Jun-18 17:27:38

YANBU. That's outrageously rude. You don't wait until you're late to tell people you're late!

Fuck em.

NataliaOsipova Tue 12-Jun-18 17:28:48

she said let's just wait and see when he wakes up.

That would annoy the hell out of me even if someone were talking about a two year old.....no way would I accept that when it's a grown man. She was rude and you were perfectly reasonable.

Peanutbuttercups21 Tue 12-Jun-18 17:29:31

stop trying to get in touch

just ignore them

BrownTurkey Tue 12-Jun-18 17:29:52

I guess they didn’t think you were waiting on them to eat, were just seeing it as a more casual arrangement, but fine for you to cancel.

Singlebutmarried Tue 12-Jun-18 17:29:58

They’re not the couple who over Christmas didn’t turn up at a friends for dinner due to the boyfriend needing a nap are they?

Mortallie Tue 12-Jun-18 17:33:38

Did you have other guests waiting to eat too? Because making everyone else wait for two people to turn up isn't on.

YANBU.

Mammyloveswine Tue 12-Jun-18 17:36:35

Singlebutmarried I thought the same!

Did they ever turn up??

Tinkobell Tue 12-Jun-18 17:36:53

Nope YANBU at all. She's treating her brother and his invite with an unacceptable level of disdain - probably from sibling familiarity. No excuse when you're all grown up and an adult though.

Juells Tue 12-Jun-18 17:38:05

@Singlebutmarried

They’re not the couple who over Christmas didn’t turn up at a friends for dinner due to the boyfriend needing a nap are they?

Ooooh, does the plot thicken?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: