Talk

Advanced search

Poshing up and chavving down your accent...

(105 Posts)
LustfulInMiltonKeynes Mon 11-Jun-18 23:30:44

...depending on who you're talking to.

Anyone else do this?!

Sometimes I make myself cringe!

gracielacey Mon 11-Jun-18 23:33:14

I try. When I'm speaking, my voice doesn't sound posh to me, but when I listen to a recording of my voice, it sounds horrendously posh!

I do try and tone it down.

BlondeB83 Mon 11-Jun-18 23:33:29

It’s a thing - upwards or downwards convergence I think it’s called. I do it!

coffeeandbiscuit Mon 11-Jun-18 23:35:21

I do. I also cringe. But I can’t stop it!

donajimena Mon 11-Jun-18 23:36:07

All the time. Its a useful skill. I don't do it intentionally.

gluteustothemaximus Mon 11-Jun-18 23:36:45

I do it too.

SugarMiceInTheRain Mon 11-Jun-18 23:37:01

I do it. Went to a posh school but worked at McDonald's at weekends throughout 6th form and my accent definitely changed depending on my surroundings. I never sound really posh but have different versions of my own accent. Have lived in the Midlands now for about 17 years and my accent is gradually becoming less Southern.

Miladamermalada Mon 11-Jun-18 23:38:11

I do. However having had a shit time I now speak the lower end more automatically which I hate. I've even picked up 'Would of' and I went to [clutches pearls]….a grammar school
Need more time with posh people. Yah grin

condepetie Mon 11-Jun-18 23:38:19

No, I've always had a posh intonation for some reason (was picked on for it at school). I couldn't change how I talk for anything. If I tried to do a different accent, up or down, I'd sound ridiculous.

If anything I over-enunciate because I'm hyper-aware of how my overbite makes me speak. I'm in no way RP newsreader, but still.

Chuckle65 Mon 11-Jun-18 23:39:03

I do it but I'm glad I do it because rightly or wrongly, some people will judge you in certain situations I.e if you're going for a job, chances are that if you sound more posh, they'll prefer it

19lottie82 Tue 12-Jun-18 00:59:05

Definitely. I used to work in the HR department of a massive multi national company during the day, then a really rough pub at night......... go figure!

zzzzz Tue 12-Jun-18 01:02:07

Not just posh up and down but turn of phrase and accent blush. It’s hideously embarrassing and totally uncontrollable. It’s like I have some sort of verbal camouflage thing going on.

blaaake Tue 12-Jun-18 01:06:04

Yes!!! I thought I was the only one. I'm from Manchester but have always had an almost RP accent, which I speak with to strangers, people at work and some acquaintances, but to my friends and family I appear to have the chavviest manc accent going grin although they still say I sound posh

LellyMcKelly Tue 12-Jun-18 01:15:35

I notice this in my kids! I have a strong regional accent which I am very proud of, but my ex sounds really posh. My DD sounds posh English, while my DS just sounds normal English (to my ears anyway). My job means I have to do a lot of talking to English people and people from other countries, and I do find that I slow down, and moderate my vowels, purely so that more people can understand me, but 2 minutes on the phone with my sister and I’m back to normal. If I go home for a week I’m virtually untelligible by the time I get back!

halfwitpicker Tue 12-Jun-18 01:18:41

Oh god I.

At work I sound like Bridget Jones, at home I sound like Vera Duckworth.

I, however, look like Ken Dodd.

Monty27 Tue 12-Jun-18 01:29:34

I like to be on the same level to the person I am talking to.

SnowGoArea Tue 12-Jun-18 01:32:29

Yes, me. I hate it. I feel like I can listen to it happening (outside of my control) and want to tell myself to shut up because I sound ridiculous.

I also do it with regional accents, especially when I'm around a few people with the same strong regional accent. I want to give myself a punch in the face for it, yet appear to be unable to control it!

I cannot put on any regional accents at will either, it's only when surrounded by it. It takes over the voice in my head too, so I think in that dialect/accent until back on my own turf.

What an idiot I must sound like! grin

halfwitpicker Tue 12-Jun-18 01:36:28

DH is watching Peaky Blinders at the moment and I can't do a Brummie accent for love nor money. My Irish is OK, passable Scottish, good Scouse.

MrsTommyBanks Tue 12-Jun-18 01:40:36

I automatically do it. I inwardly cringe but can't help it.

MrsTommyBanks Tue 12-Jun-18 01:44:06

Also. I naturally speak with a London accent. I was born in Suffolk and automatically revert to Suffolk dialect when with family that still "talk country".

youngOffenders Tue 12-Jun-18 01:53:19

I don't think I do. DH laughs as a apparently I get posher when tipsy or home with my family.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 12-Jun-18 01:54:45

I live in Forrin and find a fake RP is more easily understood than Saaf Laaandon. Innit.

IDontBowlOnShabbos Tue 12-Jun-18 02:00:41

Yep I definitely do this. Im south east london though so dont think I pass for posh when I try it!

steff13 Tue 12-Jun-18 02:51:26

I live in the US, so I don't have an accent. Obviously. 😉

But, no, I don't change the way I speak. I have a very "neutral" way of speaking; people can't often tell where I'm from based on how I speak.

Snipples Tue 12-Jun-18 03:16:31

Yes I adapt my accent depending on where I am. I'm a lawyer and do a lot of presentations so speak slower and more poshly for work. When I'm off duty or on the piss or home (Belfast) I become much more Irish and colloquial. I quite like it really.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: