Talk

Advanced search

IABU - I’ve just had a glass of wine

(135 Posts)
Hiphopopotamus Wed 06-Jun-18 19:17:55

And I’m a recovering alcoholic. 5 months sober. All gone now like I’d never bothered. So here I am, back to square one

proseccoandbooks Thu 14-Mar-19 12:43:04

OP, you're a bloody star! Huge congrats and wohoooooo!!!!!! To a life of being a non drinker!!!!!! smile

FullOfJellyBeans Thu 14-Mar-19 12:42:12

Great news OP. congratulations.

Excited101 Thu 14-Mar-19 12:42:10

It’s the ‘agony of choice’ when you feel like you can choose to drink or not. Get rid of the ‘agony of choice’ by having drinking as a non option the same as stealing or smoking, or eating all the food in your freezer. You could do any of those things but they’re not on the agenda so you don’t agonise about not doing them.

HeyCarrieAnneWhatsYourGame Thu 14-Mar-19 12:40:42

As a fellow problem drinker, I take my hat off to you OP. I don’t drink anymore either, me and drink are beautiful together but destructive. Sometimes you’ve got to know when to quit.

Orlandointhewilderness Thu 14-Mar-19 12:37:43

Ah OP you are an inspiration! Well done you!

RosaPfirsich Tue 12-Mar-19 12:46:21

Well done OP! 🤩

Mugglemom Tue 12-Mar-19 11:56:48

Excellent, OP!

You are a star

LadyRochfordsSpangledGusset Tue 12-Mar-19 11:43:41

I have so much admiration for you OP. Just posting about your experience and your six months is more inspirational for others than I think you realise .

It's especially important on this site where it's very pro-drinking and people almost have to make up excuses as to why they're not drinking in social situations etc.

You have my total respect.

Hiphopopotamus Tue 12-Mar-19 11:31:53

pinkbells just to be clear, I had that first drink back in June when I started this thread (completely my fault for the confusion as I resurrected my old thread) And because I’m an alcoholic that one drink turned into three months of binging and drinking alcoholicly. I am an alcoholic and I can never be in control of my drinking. My only option is to never drink again - that first drink is never just one!

I am now six months sober having got back on the wagon. Just to answer a previous poster upthread - I have put a lot of things in my life this time and I have a lot of coping mechanisms, and a lot of good things in my life to keep me going. But even with that, when I have a few days in my own, the temptation is there. I’m not going to act on it, but I do need to be aware of it and recognise it.

Thanks for all the lovely comments and loads of thoughts to anyone struggling with this themselves, or anyone who has a family member with an addiction. It truly sucks!

WanderingDaffodil Tue 12-Mar-19 11:20:11

What an amazing achievement flowers. I'm glad you are feeling good about yourself.

LessLivid Tue 12-Mar-19 11:10:05

I have one dead alcoholic in my life (it got him by the age of 39 and I watched him die) and one with two months' sobriety.

I read this thread with my heart in my mouth.

I am so glad you are sober today and able to look back on your journey.

Pinkbells Tue 12-Mar-19 11:02:13

I just read that and thought you meant this morning!!!
But if you had just the one glass last night and don't let it derail you then you have shown the perfect example of being in control of it. Well done!

justmyview Tue 12-Mar-19 10:52:26

Go, hip hop! Well done

Shoveitupyourbum Tue 12-Mar-19 10:44:41

Well done op! Keep going one day at a time x

Purplecatshopaholic Tue 12-Mar-19 10:42:24

You are doing amazing OP. Everyone has the odd blip, but the point is you are back on the sobriety road. It cant have been an easy road either (I have a good friend just out of rehab). I wish you all the luck in the world in your journey

PurpleThistles Tue 12-Mar-19 10:41:03

Relapse is not a part of recovery, it is part of active addiction. Recovery is using all your coping mechanisms to stay sober, especially when the cravings are so strong. Regular AA meetings, not just attending but getting a sponsor and doing the 12 steps. An alcoholic that has truly accepted their illness knows that they can never, ever, drink again. Not even one.

OP, every relapse is an opportunity to access your coping skills and adapt them. Six months sober is wonderful, a huge achievement. However, stopping drinking is one thing, the next is developing a sober life for yourself. New hobbies, self improvement, exercise and so on. My DH managed ten months sober. Yes he was sober, but he was just existing, not living. He didnt want to leave the house incase he was tempted to drink. He didnt want to get a job incase he was tempted to drink. He did everything he could and should do to keep his sobriety, apart from actually living. Without any kind of real life, it was inevitable that one day the addiction would win.

DH entered rehab this morning for the next two weeks. He always hated the thought of rehab, because his brain knows fine well that he wont be able to drink. But he also knows that there is this hurdle of what comes after getting sober that he has to past.

Missingstreetlife Tue 12-Mar-19 10:36:43

There's a meeting every hour of every day somewhere, and phonelines.
Tell your sponsor you're a bit wobbly, being alone is often a trigger.
You're doing great, don't look back. What you learned last time is one is never enough, so one is always too many. Wish you well op.

user1497997754 Tue 12-Mar-19 10:34:08

Go onto Club Soda on Facebook they really help me x

BigSandyBalls2015 Tue 12-Mar-19 10:22:40

Lovely update OP, I read this with a sense of dread, noting it was last summer, so I'm thrilled to read you've now been 6 months sober, fantastic achievement.

Keep yourself busy this week and think how proud your DH will be of you when he returns.

Firefretted Tue 12-Mar-19 10:22:33

Understandable to feel disheartened but try to think of it as a lapse, rather than a relapse. 5 months is amazing and now you know you can do it. Chin up and good luck x

mustdrinkwaternotwine Tue 12-Mar-19 10:16:59

6 months is amazing, OP. If you need another mini goal and 7mths is either too far away or just doesn't sound impressive enough, work out when 200 days is. It can't be far off. 200 days of you beating that addiction however bad your day has been, whatever circumstances you have been in, however tempted you have been. Well done!
You have also given me a kick up the backside. My downfall is sugar and I need to avoid them as much as possible for health reasons. My DH is away and I was planning on nipping to the supermarket later and buying all sorts of things I shouldn't eat safe in the knowledge that nobody would know. But that's not the point. The point is what it does to my body & I need to stay in top of it for me.

NorthernBirdAtHeart Tue 12-Mar-19 10:15:30

One day at a time OP. You’ve done amazingly well, bloody 6 whole months! Yesterday was a tiny blip. Good for you for getting up and out to a meeting today.
You can do this OP flowers

Hiphopopotamus Tue 12-Mar-19 10:15:30

Oh I definitely don’t want a drink! The stupid voice in my head keeps telling me to but I feel fairly confident (as much as I ever can be) that I won’t be drinking. I’m being kind to myself, cooking lovely food from scratch and trying to enjoy the time to myself. And any wobble I have is quickly solved by being able to remember how I felt when I started this thread after my relapse back in June and everything that followed.

Iooselipssinkships Tue 12-Mar-19 10:10:18

Relapse is part of recovery so don't beat yourself up about the past. You're doing brilliantly and that little voice is just that, a little voice. A voice you can ignore. A voice you do not have to listen to. Keep yourself busy, distracted.
When DH is away pamper yourself head to toe, read a book, pop in headphones and go for a walk, eat junk and watch junk. Be kind to yourself because every sober day you are winning.

Fazackerley Tue 12-Mar-19 10:03:16

Just think how awful it will be to have to do that first 6 months all over again. That's what I used to say to myself when I was giving up smoking. Don't waste it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »