Talk

Advanced search

IABU - I’ve just had a glass of wine

(135 Posts)
Hiphopopotamus Wed 06-Jun-18 19:17:55

And I’m a recovering alcoholic. 5 months sober. All gone now like I’d never bothered. So here I am, back to square one

WanderingDaffodil Tue 12-Mar-19 11:20:11

What an amazing achievement flowers. I'm glad you are feeling good about yourself.

Hiphopopotamus Tue 12-Mar-19 11:31:53

pinkbells just to be clear, I had that first drink back in June when I started this thread (completely my fault for the confusion as I resurrected my old thread) And because I’m an alcoholic that one drink turned into three months of binging and drinking alcoholicly. I am an alcoholic and I can never be in control of my drinking. My only option is to never drink again - that first drink is never just one!

I am now six months sober having got back on the wagon. Just to answer a previous poster upthread - I have put a lot of things in my life this time and I have a lot of coping mechanisms, and a lot of good things in my life to keep me going. But even with that, when I have a few days in my own, the temptation is there. I’m not going to act on it, but I do need to be aware of it and recognise it.

Thanks for all the lovely comments and loads of thoughts to anyone struggling with this themselves, or anyone who has a family member with an addiction. It truly sucks!

LadyRochfordsSpangledGusset Tue 12-Mar-19 11:43:41

I have so much admiration for you OP. Just posting about your experience and your six months is more inspirational for others than I think you realise .

It's especially important on this site where it's very pro-drinking and people almost have to make up excuses as to why they're not drinking in social situations etc.

You have my total respect.

Mugglemom Tue 12-Mar-19 11:56:48

Excellent, OP!

You are a star

RosaPfirsich Tue 12-Mar-19 12:46:21

Well done OP! 🤩

Orlandointhewilderness Thu 14-Mar-19 12:37:43

Ah OP you are an inspiration! Well done you!

HeyCarrieAnneWhatsYourGame Thu 14-Mar-19 12:40:42

As a fellow problem drinker, I take my hat off to you OP. I don’t drink anymore either, me and drink are beautiful together but destructive. Sometimes you’ve got to know when to quit.

Excited101 Thu 14-Mar-19 12:42:10

It’s the ‘agony of choice’ when you feel like you can choose to drink or not. Get rid of the ‘agony of choice’ by having drinking as a non option the same as stealing or smoking, or eating all the food in your freezer. You could do any of those things but they’re not on the agenda so you don’t agonise about not doing them.

FullOfJellyBeans Thu 14-Mar-19 12:42:12

Great news OP. congratulations.

proseccoandbooks Thu 14-Mar-19 12:43:04

OP, you're a bloody star! Huge congrats and wohoooooo!!!!!! To a life of being a non drinker!!!!!! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »