Talk

Advanced search

IABU - I’ve just had a glass of wine

(135 Posts)
Hiphopopotamus Wed 06-Jun-18 19:17:55

And I’m a recovering alcoholic. 5 months sober. All gone now like I’d never bothered. So here I am, back to square one

MyOtherUsernameisaPun Wed 06-Jun-18 19:49:59

You are not At square one. You're on here which shows you don't want to throw your sobriety away.

Tip the wine away.
Call your sponsor.
You can do this flowers

FizzyGreenWater Wed 06-Jun-18 19:50:20

No, of course it isn't all gone.

This is life, real life. There will always be challenges and always be times when you think 'ah, bad decision'.

What you have been doing this last 5 months is strengthening your experiences of the 'better you' - the 'better life' - getting a glimpse of where you want to be, and enjoying it.

To the point where, hopefully like this evening, you will have enough of the feeling of that 'good life' in the forefront of your mind to make you strong enough to pour it down the sink, go for a walk... or post on here. And to turn again to your better, nicer, happier life!

You're doing it right now.

Life isn't linear.

You are living real life, not a play.

Well done on your five months, and well done on posting here as your reaction to that bump in the road.

Hepzibar Wed 06-Jun-18 19:59:39

Contact your sponsor

DragonMummy1418 Wed 06-Jun-18 19:59:49

Go to a meeting. Now.
thanks
Be gentle on yourself, it's the abuse you give yourself that will make it harder to start again - you CAN start again!

Notevilstepmother Wed 06-Jun-18 20:03:02

All gone now like I’d never bothered

NO. NOT TRUE.

This is catastrophic thinking.

One little slip up isn’t a disaster.

5 months sober is an achievement in itself. Your reaction is also something to be proud of, you reached out after one glass.

One day at a time, and tomorrow is a new day.

Apocalyptichorsewoman Wed 06-Jun-18 20:06:17

Call your sponsor, and try and get someone to take you to a meeting - the quicker you can get back on track, the easier it will be. I would also recommend reddit stopdrinking site - really helpful xx

DianaT1969 Wed 06-Jun-18 20:13:18

You aren't at square one. Your body (and particularly your liver) have had 5 months to heal - and that's due to the amazing willpower you've shown you have.
We're human. Sometimes we falter, but consider today a blip. Pour it away and start fresh again right now.

e1y1 Wed 06-Jun-18 20:14:22

No, you are back to square one IF you go back to where you started from AND ONLY IF.

It is one drink. Throw the rest. Now.

Call your sponsor ASAP.

Livingsymbol Wed 06-Jun-18 20:22:21

shock

Crikey

Where is the kid(s) whilst this is happening?

stopfuckingshoutingatme Wed 06-Jun-18 20:25:23

Nah it’s one glass

Pour the bottle away and start again

Now it’s not that easy I know but smokers sometimes have one fag , dieters have a cake

It’s way more complex with your issue but get back on the Wagon and don’t let this be an excuse

Orlandointhewilderness Wed 06-Jun-18 20:26:44

How are you doing OP?

Halebeke425 Wed 06-Jun-18 20:28:06

Do you have a sponsor? Call them. If not call someone else you can trust.

Chuck wine out. Make some tea/coffee. Keep talking to us.

What has happened to make you have a drink? You can beat this, it's not back to square one, just a set back. Please come back and let us help.

Hiphopopotamus Wed 06-Jun-18 20:28:42

I haven’t had another one. I was in a restaurant by myself and ordered a glass. But I’m on my way home and I’ve bought a bottle. Thinking I might as well as I’ve broken my sobriety anyway.

And no need to worry about the kids - I don’t have any

SabineUndine Wed 06-Jun-18 20:30:04

A glass of wine is only a glass. Pour the bottle away and prove to yourself how strong you are.

UpstartCrow Wed 06-Jun-18 20:30:31

Get rid of the bottle.

If a friend of yours quit smoking and a year later had one cigarette, would you tell them they may as well buy a packet and start smoking again?
I think you'd talk them out of it.

Livingsymbol Wed 06-Jun-18 20:30:44

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Fabellini Wed 06-Jun-18 20:31:25

Don’t use your one glass as an excuse. Chuck that bottle away, or take it to a friend and tell them to have it. You haven’t failed yet.

Semster Wed 06-Jun-18 20:31:59

Thinking I might as well as I’ve broken my sobriety anyway.

You know that's just a shitty excuse though.

OhMyGodTheyKilledKenny Wed 06-Jun-18 20:31:59

I’ve broken my sobriety anyway

OK technically yes you have, but with one glass which is a bit different to one bottle.

Stop now and think of it as you've shown amazing strength to stop after a blip of one glass.

BlueThesaurusRex Wed 06-Jun-18 20:32:20

Don’t drink the bottle- start your sobriety again now. Do you have a sponsor to call?

DaanSaaf Wed 06-Jun-18 20:34:29

Livingsymbol that's really fucking stupid advice. Op please don't listen to them.

1 glass is a blip, a bottle would be disastrous for your recovery. Chuck the bottle, eat some food and have an early night.

mommybear1 Wed 06-Jun-18 20:34:53

Ok you broke it but with one glass you have control ditch the bottle and go and see someone in RL your sponsor perhaps or a friend? You can do this you have done so well so far you do not need the bottle. We are all here OP talk to us x

SaucyJack Wed 06-Jun-18 20:35:21

You had one nice glass of wine with dinner. It's a perfectly normal, non-alcohol dependent thing to enjoy doing on summer's evening.

DON'T now then fuck up the rest of your week by punishing yourself with a nasty booze binge.

You are strong enough to make the choice to call it a day after that one glass.

Give the bottle to a neighbour on the way home. You are not going to drink it.

BlueThesaurusRex Wed 06-Jun-18 20:35:40

I’m guessing living symbol is trolling... kindly fuck off with that and go elsewhere

FlamingGalar Wed 06-Jun-18 20:38:20

It doesn't generally work like that Livingsymbol

OP you can pull this back now - you can start your day again at anytime!

Call your sponsor or someone in the rooms if you are AA. Reach out to someone that understands where you're at right now. You can do this. flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »