Talk

Advanced search

IABU - I’ve just had a glass of wine

(135 Posts)
Hiphopopotamus Wed 06-Jun-18 19:17:55

And I’m a recovering alcoholic. 5 months sober. All gone now like I’d never bothered. So here I am, back to square one

MaryPoppinsPenguins Wed 06-Jun-18 19:20:15

Tip it out. Can you go to a meeting?

DaphneDiligaf Wed 06-Jun-18 19:21:26

You have admitted it on here. Can you stop at one? If so you aren't back to square one are you?

Candlelight123 Wed 06-Jun-18 19:21:27

As PP said get rid of the rest of it down the sink immediately. Can you get in touch with your sponsor?

BeeFarseer Wed 06-Jun-18 19:21:33

It's not all gone. You've done amazingly well. This is a blip. It doesn't have to be more than that.

hadenough Wed 06-Jun-18 19:21:37

It's just a blip, don't beat yourself up about it.

The important thing is you stay on track now, and don't let this block your progress. We all make mistakes and do things we regret, it's how you move on and the lessons you learn from it that are important.

Thehop Wed 06-Jun-18 19:21:50

Tip it out now. Don’t binge.

Have you got someone you can call?

FurryDice Wed 06-Jun-18 19:22:09

No you’re not back to square one. One day at a time, remember? If you don’t drink tomorrow you haven’t ruined all those 5 months of hard work.

Can you tip out the rest and get to a meeting?

MatildaTheCat Wed 06-Jun-18 19:22:09

No, not all gone. Five months sober is five months sober. Well done for that. Sometimes we stumble, it does not mean we have given up.

Can you talk to someone in RL? or maybe post on one of the excellent support threads on here?

Best wishes. Empty the bottle away and move on.

OuchLegoHurts Wed 06-Jun-18 19:22:30

No you're not back to square one. You're at the exact same point as someone who doesn't have a problem... One glass of wine is normal. Pour the rest of the bottle down the drain and eat something big and filling and yummy instead of having more. Then you have done absolutely no damage and you can carry on being teetotal tomorrow.

BarbaraOcumbungles Wed 06-Jun-18 19:22:34

You’re not back to square one. You’ve just had one drink! Pour the rest away and wake up tomorrow to a new day and move on with your sobriety.

I’m on 5 months sober too smile

Racecardriver Wed 06-Jun-18 19:23:28

Call some one please. Here is a whole list of helplines you can call.

www.itv.com/thismorning/alcohol-addiction-helplines

Tit4TatandAllThat Wed 06-Jun-18 19:24:33

What made you have that drink today?

lastnamefirstfirstnamelast Wed 06-Jun-18 19:24:40

Don't give up, a slight blip hasnt ruined your strength and hard work so far. Pour the rest away. You dont need it OP. X

Haudyerwheesht Wed 06-Jun-18 19:24:47

Well you can think you’re back to square one and feel sorry for yourself or you can be pro active, chuck it away and start again.

HarryLovesDraco Wed 06-Jun-18 19:25:38

You aren't at square one. You have posted on here.
Tip it all away and go to a meeting flowers

Crunchymum Wed 06-Jun-18 19:25:42

What has triggered you to drink today?

Is there anymore wine left?

Is there anyone you can call or go and see?

One drink doesn't have to set you back to square one if you address it properly x

donajimena Wed 06-Jun-18 19:28:03

I've had years of being partly sober! Now I don't drink at all. Its not a waste. Its a dry run. If you can't tip it away tonight get your plan in place for tomorrow.
I found that drinking after a period of not drinking reinforced the reasons for giving up.
If you haven't read Jason vale kick the drink easily please get a copy. I'm convinced this is the reason that this sobriety has stuck.

Luisa27 Wed 06-Jun-18 19:33:50

One small blip - we all have them.
Tip the rest down the sink and call your sponsor or if not, The Samaritans - they’ll act as a sounding board.
Don’t give up - it really is a tiny blip and you’ve recognised it flowers

lastnamefirstfirstnamelast Wed 06-Jun-18 19:34:48

I forgot -be kind to yourself, if you cant get a meeting today, still pour the wine away, go for a warn evening stroll or relax with a magazine and a bar of choc etc.

GinIsIn Wed 06-Jun-18 19:37:08

Where are you? Can you get to a meeting? Pour the rest of the wine away.

LakieLady Wed 06-Jun-18 19:37:35

One day at a time, OP, and tomorrow is another day.

Kudos to you for the 5 months, and if you can stay sober for that long, one small slip won't be the end of the world.

Knittedfairies Wed 06-Jun-18 19:41:17

You’re not back to square one; you’ve managed 5 months without a drink. A slight wobble, that’s all.

RideOn Wed 06-Jun-18 19:45:44

Often people have a stumble on the sober road. You have proved you can do it.

Throw the rest away, ring for help, in the coming days you can really think about today and the lead up to it, what thoughts lead you to drink the wine. What can you put in place to keep off alcohol?

lljkk Wed 06-Jun-18 19:47:47

CALL YOUR SPONSOR

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »