Talk

Advanced search

To Discuss New Mandela Effect.....

(23 Posts)
A4710Rider Tue 05-Jun-18 09:53:40

I enjoy the Mandela Effect, I don't believe in it but I find it entertaining. However, this one took me a little by surprise.

I've always had an interest in Easter Island and what happened there with the statues the indigenous population built. As most people will know, almost every available resource was used on the Island and there is no trace left of the people who built them, they may have even starved to death.

However, I see this picture yesterday and was like "whoah" Out of all the pictures I've seen in my 40+ years of the Statues not one of them showed any hats but apparently they have hats now.

Does this resonate with anyone else?

SleepingInYourFlowerbed Tue 05-Jun-18 09:57:18

Never seen the hats before either but looks like it's just because they are not commonly used photos. Weird.

SD1978 Tue 05-Jun-18 09:57:19

Only some of them do though- most of the photos I’ve seen are hatless. Didn’t know hatted ones exist- do now- they are pretty cool! Less Mandela effect and more they don’t seem photographed as much.

Roomba Tue 05-Jun-18 09:57:51

Not just you, I've never seen a photo with hats on either.

MyOtherUsernameisaPun Tue 05-Jun-18 09:57:59

Ok this one freaked me out because I definitely remember them non-hatted! Also a non believer in the ME but really interested in it!!

I think with this one it's maybe because they don't all have hats, just some of them. I've attached a copy of the pic I know best and there are no hats there, so I think that's why I don't remember them.

It's still weird though because I literally don't ever remember seeing them with hats before!

TheThirdOfHerName Tue 05-Jun-18 09:58:22

Explanation here

Most of the hats have fallen off, which is why you rarely see the hats in photos

A4710Rider Tue 05-Jun-18 09:59:47

I get the explanation but I would have thought I would have seen the hats at some point before, being as it's far more interesting than the non hatted variety.

A4710Rider Tue 05-Jun-18 10:00:42

Most of the hats have fallen off, which is why you rarely see the hats in photos

There are loads of photos of the statues with hats now.

TheThirdOfHerName Tue 05-Jun-18 10:02:29

There are loads of photos of the statues with hats now

Yes, because research has recently been published about the method of getting the hats on. So most news companies have found photos of the few statues with hats still on, to accompany the articles.

ALemonyPea Tue 05-Jun-18 10:03:48

How strange. I can’t remember seeing any with hats on.

DayManChampionOfTheSun Tue 05-Jun-18 10:05:26

I just showed dp this pic and said what's odd about this? He said 'someone's put a hat on them' I swear I have seen this pic (the background and everything is the same) but without the hats. YANBU

A4710Rider Tue 05-Jun-18 10:07:09

Yes, because research has recently been published about the method of getting the hats on

Yes, that's cool and everything but it doesn't explain why I've never seen hats before. I've watched more than one documentary on EI and not once did they mention hats and being as the hats are so interesting....you think they would have been mentioned and not just ignored.

"We've made this really indepth documentary on the Easter Island statues, we've spent 18 months on the Island, National Geographic will love it."

"Did you include the statues with the red hats"

"No"

A4710Rider Tue 05-Jun-18 10:09:26

It's so bizarre, the hats almost look photoshopped at first glance.

A4710Rider Tue 05-Jun-18 10:36:01

Another of my favourites.

Without a doubt I remember seeing this portrait of Henry VIII holding a chicken or a duck leg in his hand, certainly not a sword.

Of this I'm utterly sure.

ThanksForAllTheFish Wed 13-Jun-18 09:57:59

The tinkerbell / Disney intro is the one that gets me the most.

The couple of versions that do exist are not what I remember at all.

SmilingButClueless Wed 13-Jun-18 10:03:02

That’s either an old photo, Photoshopped, or a replica.

I visited Easter Island earlier this year and think I saw pretty much all the statues, at least the ones that still looked like statues! Most statues don’t have hats. I think I saw one in a line of about 13 that did...

SmilingButClueless Wed 13-Jun-18 10:16:14

This is the only one I saw with a hat

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Wed 13-Jun-18 10:19:11

I’ve never seen the ones with bodies let alone hats! I’ve only ever heard them referred to as Easter Island Heads as well - like MyOtherUser pic.

thenightsky Wed 13-Jun-18 10:19:44

SmilingButClueless I am very envious! I've been obsessed with Easter Island since reading about it in a geographic magazine when I was about 8. How did you get there? Was it outrageously expensive?

Sorry for thread derail blush

A4710Rider Wed 13-Jun-18 10:20:51

It's not a photoshopped picture.

NymanPerkins Wed 13-Jun-18 10:22:39

Yep, lifelong interest in Easter Island, and never heard of nor seen hats.

SmilingButClueless Wed 13-Jun-18 10:24:41

You can fly there, I added it on to the end of a more extensive trip to Chile so went from Santiago but you can also go from Tahiti!

It’s expensive but adding it onto an existing trip wasn’t that much more than a standalone city break to one of the more expensive European cities.

A4710Rider Wed 13-Jun-18 10:27:45

Definitely one to mark up as "strange"

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: