Talk

Advanced search

To think what happened to Tommy Robinson was wrong

(460 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Amanda18e Fri 01-Jun-18 19:38:09

In that the press were not allowed to report on the original grooming trial and the secondary trial of his for contempt of court.

Surely these press bans should only be used for issues of national security like terrorism.

ibuiltahomeforyou Fri 01-Jun-18 19:43:09

Surely he didn't have a trial the second time as he was already serving a suspended sentence so was just recalled to prison?

FairfaxAikman Fri 01-Jun-18 19:43:19

It wasn't a ban, it was a postponement order.
There were multiple trials relating to the same offence - allowing reporting on one risked jeopardising the others.
TR didn't ( accordingly a reporter who was sitting on the case) spend any time in the court room yet was spouting inaccurate information in hearing of jurors.
There's a reason court reporting is best left to the professionals - they at least have some legal training.

https://thesecretbarrister.com/2018/05/25/what-has-happened-to-poor-tommy-robinson/

Awwlookatmybabyspider Fri 01-Jun-18 19:43:55

I'm with you Amanda.
Just that you're brave enough to say it first.
However you'll probably be eat alive.
Get your flame proof hat on.

TemptressofWaikiki Fri 01-Jun-18 19:45:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

araiwa Fri 01-Jun-18 19:45:56

Even if you agree with his pov, how he did it was so stupid

Hope he enjoys prison

Justanothernameonthepage Fri 01-Jun-18 19:46:05

YABU. Man broke the law. Man broke his bail conditions. Man went to prison. Can't be arsed with anyone defending his attempt to give those accused rapists the ammunition to claim mistrial. He's an arse who's proved he cares less about the victims than being able to claim he's hard done by.

ilovesooty Fri 01-Jun-18 19:46:45

No I think what happened to him was absolutely right. Perhaps he'll learn that he can't flout the law but given his history I doubt it.

Sirzy Fri 01-Jun-18 19:46:54

Press bans should be used more imo to stop press reporting risking the integrity of cases

Whattheactualfuckmate Fri 01-Jun-18 19:53:24

There is a HUGE problem predominantly Pakistani men grooming young white girls. Whilst it was brought to our attention in one area - in other areas it was still happening.

But we’re not allowed to talk about it and there is a serious issue of hiding it, because people are scared to death of being accused of being racist.

TR is an idiot but he does highlight what the papers are scared to do.

It seems like this whole country is riddled with perverts. Asian and white. Rich and poor. They all make me sick

greendale17 Fri 01-Jun-18 19:54:27

Turdy Tommy supporters are out in force today.

He deserves everything he gets.

LokiBear Fri 01-Jun-18 19:57:02

He pleaded guilty amd apologised unreservedly. He understamds what he did was wrong, so how can anyone claim what happened to him was wrong? Id sooner not see the conviction of 30 rapists be quashed because one idiot wants to play vigilante.

FairfaxAikman Fri 01-Jun-18 19:58:16

@Whattheactualfuckmate read the link I posted - the press aren't scared of reporting it (afaik there's at least one reporter in the case) there is a court-ordered temporary reporting restriction. No professional reporter is stupid enough to commit contempt of court, as TR did.

flashnazia Fri 01-Jun-18 20:01:48

You have to chuckle when ppl day stupid things like 'nobody is allowed to talk about Pakistani rape gangs'
Mate, everyone is talking about them. More so than white pedo gangs because the press are not interested in these cases.

goodbyeeee Fri 01-Jun-18 20:03:26

How can you not understand that the actions of TR are MORE LIKELY to lead to a situation where the defendants in such trials can claim a mis-trial owing to prejuducial coverage. Reporting restructions are imposed by Judges for good reason.

Read the Secret Barrister link up thread and educate yourself.

French2019 Fri 01-Jun-18 20:03:41

What happened to him was absolutely right. It's a shame some people aren't intelligent enough to understand why.

MaisyPops Fri 01-Jun-18 20:05:18

Man breaks the law repeatedly.
There are consequences.

The legal system is busy trying to run cases but can't because some thug thinks the law doesn't apply to him.

Thug plays the victim and all his half wit fans claim he's a victim. It stuns me how some people are so thick.

couchparsnip Fri 01-Jun-18 20:05:51

He was told not to do something again or he would go to jail. He did it again so he went to jail. How is that wrong?

mostdays Fri 01-Jun-18 20:06:27

Yabu.

GySgtHartman Fri 01-Jun-18 20:07:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Sprinklesinmyelbow Fri 01-Jun-18 20:07:40

I don’t really understand what you think was wrong? That the media didn’t report it? Who cares? What difference would it have made if they had?

Caribou58 Fri 01-Jun-18 20:13:25

1. 'Robinson' (not his real name) broke the law. He had a suspended sentence and was therefore sent to prison.
2. The press can and have reported his actions and sentence.
3. His actions risked causing a mistrial and abandonment of the charges against alleged (I use this word because British justice says I must, until and unless they are found guilty in that court) rapists/groomers/paedophiles involved.
4. There are court reporting restrictions on this case UNTIL it is over - then anyone can report on its details and outcome.
5. That (4) is NOT to "protect" those alleged to have committed the offences, it is to ensure that they get a fair trial so that if found guilty, they have no recourse to appeal on the grounds that their case was prejudiced by twats shouting and filming outside whilst those involved in the case itself - including jurors - were entering and leaving.

Now - are we clear on this?

itchyknees Fri 01-Jun-18 20:16:04

Ugh, I can’t even...

DaphneFanshaw Fri 01-Jun-18 20:17:03

Holy shit.
The demographic on MN really has changed hasn’t it.

Notevilstepmother Fri 01-Jun-18 20:17:59

He risked the convictions by doing what he did. The perpetrators could have had grounds for saying it wasn’t a fair trial.

If Tommy Robinson really cared about child abuse he wouldn’t put the trial at risk like that.

The only person he cares about is himself. He is a professional victim.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: