Talk

Advanced search

To think we should do away entirely with school holidays?

(610 Posts)
SkaPunkPrincess Mon 28-May-18 11:14:28

Just musing and wondering why we don't just do away with them entirely?

Run schools like a regular workplace in that they operate 52 weeks of the year, Teachers and students to get 4 weeks allocated holiday allowance per year and parents can use this at their discretion. Staff would be able to be more flexible and they would have more time in the year to teach children at a more realistic pace?

Am I missing why this isn't a genius idea?

HollyGibney Mon 04-Jun-18 09:21:32

Well it's been rumbling on for a week now, maybe OP just can't be bothered any more and I can't say I blame them.

echt Mon 04-Jun-18 08:58:33

The OP is not engaging in any kind of debate at all. I can't decide whether they're a Goady Fucker, or just a bit fick.

sunnydaynoworking Mon 04-Jun-18 08:41:17

I suspect that people like the OP believe teachers should do this for no extra pay

PollyMycroft Sun 03-Jun-18 21:07:18

Taxpayers wouldn't want to pay more to cover the extra teacher wages for a start!grin

jwpetal Sun 03-Jun-18 11:18:57

We love our summer holidays. We are a multi national family and this is when we see our extended family. My children get to use different languages, get unconditional love from their family and experience a different culture. Even in years that we are here, we are travelling and doing things. After the summer holidays, my kids have grown in confidence and are so much happier. Don't take that away from us. It only saddens me that people want to take this away from families.

BoneyBackJefferson Fri 01-Jun-18 19:35:10

Michael Rosen

First they said they needed data
about the children
to find out what they’re learning.
Then they said they needed data
about the children
to make sure they are learning.
Then the children only learnt
what could be turned into data.
Then the children became data.

Jux Fri 01-Jun-18 18:28:12

Well rounded individuals. That's what school was supposed to be about, and may have been. It was only a part of the shaping of a child to be a functioning adult who benefit society. There have always been those that don't quite do that but on the whole it worked pretty well.

Now, everything seems to be about school. Children are being stressed beyong imagining by SATs as early as 7 years old, just to hit ridic,ulous targets set by the government. Joy was removed from learning a long time ago.

We should be encouraging our children to explore, have fun, experiment, and learn along the way. Then school would be a joy to attend and 52 weeks a year would be less like a prison camp and more realistic.

Losing the long school holidays is happening already. When I was a child we had 9weeksin the summer, and without it I'd be dead. No doubt. I would have killed myself before I even got to Y6 if I hadn't had that length od downtime away from school, and we weren't stressed to buggery as a matter of course like they are today. Just watch the child suicide rate rise as the school holidays get shorter.

Still, I suppose we areover-populated.

LilQueenie Fri 01-Jun-18 17:56:36

not much different from victorian workhouses. Kids need time away from learning to do what kids do. Learn through play.

LimboLuna Fri 01-Jun-18 17:47:19

I think it will happen to keep people working. But I don’t think it’s a good thing. There’s so much more to life then English and maths. By the end of term I start to get worried somethings wrong with mine but they are just exhausted and need the rest.

Jux Fri 01-Jun-18 17:38:49

I think teachers should be paid more. A great deal more. It should be a job which brings among the highest pay in the country and carries status to match.

I think terms should be shorter.

Clionba Fri 01-Jun-18 17:14:56

With the obligatory slagging off of mumsnet users. We dare to be females with opinions! 😂 😂

Absofrigginlootly Fri 01-Jun-18 16:42:42

Urgh angry

Scribblegirl Fri 01-Jun-18 16:05:14

Congrats OP, you've made the Fail:

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5791749/Mumsnet-user-says-school-holidays-cancelled-four-weeks-allocated-like-workplace.html

Mummybear1988 Thu 31-May-18 19:57:11

There are many problems with this.
Firstly, and most importantly, teachers are paid for 195 days of work a year (190 teaching and 5 TED days) so where are we going to find the money to pay all the teachers for the extra time they need to work? They can't be expected to do nearly twice as much work for no more money plus all the extra planning, assessing and marking that will need doing.
Children already get burned out after an 8 weeks term so their attainment and achievement will go way down if they have to work all year with no break. They're children they need breaks.
What about after school and holiday clubs who depend on the business of holidays. They'll be put of work.
If all teachers and children take 4 weeks a year off where will the consistency be? How will they ensure everyone is at the same place without repeating stuff for the people who were there?

Yeah there is a reason it's not already done... it wouldn't work!

TalkinPeece Thu 31-May-18 14:44:04

Yup, so its around 5 hours of lessons a day
and it will be 190 days of lessons a year
so around 950 hours of teaching a year

pretty much all systems hover just under the 1000 mark

SplatDown Thu 31-May-18 14:37:46

9-12.30 that should have said.

Now they go 9-12.30, then 3-4.30.

SplatDown Thu 31-May-18 14:36:42

It used to be 9-1pm, then 3-5pm but budget cuts and all that. Schools had to reduce hours.

SplatDown Thu 31-May-18 14:35:14

I guess so. The DC got to school 9-12.20 (then a long lunch break, we bring them home because we live on the same road as the school, but a lot have lunch at school and do other activities). Then they go back 3-4.30.

zzzzz Thu 31-May-18 14:34:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SplatDown Thu 31-May-18 14:32:45

Also in June they finish early, so more or less half days.

TalkinPeece Thu 31-May-18 14:32:35

But interestingly, although the school year is structured differently, the number of teaching hours will be almost identical to the UK grin

SplatDown Thu 31-May-18 14:30:46

Yes, we have a lot of bank holidays here, the school also get 3 days holiday a year, they usually tack these on to a bank holiday weekend so you get an extra long weekend.

2 weeks at Christmas, and a week and a day for Easter.

It's so hot here in the summer it makes sense, and we can go away and do a housesit/swap for a month or so in the summer if we like.

zzzzz Thu 31-May-18 14:22:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SplatDown Thu 31-May-18 14:14:50

I live in Spain. Our school holidays are 3 months. Finish mid June, go back mid September.

6 weeks is nothing.

IDSNeighbour Thu 31-May-18 13:18:44

Personally, I'd love this (though I think 6 weeks holiday allowance would be better for us because our school day finishes at 5 - 8pm and we have Saturday school so we do a lot more hours than most schools).

My salary would be huge and I could go on holiday at cheaper times of the year. I could take days off to do one off things that I'd love to do (especially Saturday things like hen dos and weekends away with friends that I always miss out on).

For a single adult long chunks of time off when few other people are off isn't that great and isn't necessary.

But the point of the long holidays is for the children, not the teachers. Most children would hate it and really struggle to cope. Ours are worn out at the end of each half term. Their days are so full on, they're under quite a lot of pressure, do so many activities and really do need frequent breaks.

I do think the summer break is too long. I'd probably make half term holidays 2 weeks long and take the extra off the summer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »