Talk

Advanced search

To think we should do away entirely with school holidays?

(610 Posts)
SkaPunkPrincess Mon 28-May-18 11:14:28

Just musing and wondering why we don't just do away with them entirely?

Run schools like a regular workplace in that they operate 52 weeks of the year, Teachers and students to get 4 weeks allocated holiday allowance per year and parents can use this at their discretion. Staff would be able to be more flexible and they would have more time in the year to teach children at a more realistic pace?

Am I missing why this isn't a genius idea?

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Mon 28-May-18 11:56:21

I find it really hard to understand why children are so utterly exhausted from school that they need holidays. It seems to be a very recent thing

Well how resent, im in my late 30s and definately remember getting "end of term itis" as my mum woukd call it ie i was grumpy fed up over stimlated exhausted and quite frankly needed to not be at school.

As did my friends my siblings and every other child

Moonkissedlegs Mon 28-May-18 11:57:50

Either the OP is a goady fucker or they have zero critical thinking skills.

Either way they look like a total twat.

WorraLiberty Mon 28-May-18 11:58:12

I find it really hard to understand why children are so utterly exhausted from school that they need holidays. It seems to be a very recent thing

School isn't a standard 6 hour day for a lot of kids anymore.

Factor in wrap around care and a lot of young kids are putting in a 10 hour day.

AlexanderHamilton Mon 28-May-18 11:59:08

God no. Dd is mid GCSEs and needs the break.

It would have a serious consequence on holiday clubs too. They wouldn’t be viable. Dd wouldn’t have been able to do some of her dance residentials & ds his youth theatre holiday workshops.

LoniceraJaponica Mon 28-May-18 11:59:12

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MaisyPops Mon 28-May-18 11:59:25

moon
I'm guessing goady but people have given quite reasonable answers. We just need to wait and see if the OP comes back or if the thread goes poof.

minipie Mon 28-May-18 11:59:58

I would be in favour of shortening the summer break and distributing those weeks elsewhere in the year.

This

Sosogoodagain Mon 28-May-18 12:00:37

we have almost 9 weeks holiday during the summer here. its incredibly long imo.

id prefer more balanced approach with extra shorter weeks dotted throughout the year, that way the potential 'learning loss' might be minimised.

9 weeks is a long time to keep kids amused on a tight budget, working parent or not. Its also a long time to leave a 14 year old at home alone. Im not saying its the schools responsibility to childmind but i do think its something society could be looking at.

We're seeing a proliferation of summer schemes locally in the last 5 years, and they're a godsend.

PhilODox Mon 28-May-18 12:00:51

Sprinklesinmyelbow

I think it has become like this since they introduced some accountability for what happens in schools (i.e. national curriculum and performance tables)
When I was at school (and probably when you were at school) it didn't matter if we worked. No-one made us work for GCSE. If we failed (90% of my year left with fewer than 5 A-c) we all still got jobs, so it didn't matter.

Children are exhausted now because it's one assessment after another, from starting reception. Constantly checking they're progressing to national standards, cramming core subjects for sats, etc.

Which was the better system?

My childhood memories of school are all pleasant ones- school was a warm safe environment away from harm. There was no pressure on me, it was lovely.

AlexanderHamilton Mon 28-May-18 12:00:59

Factor in the increased pressure (far more homework) constant testing (SATS & booster classes) and its no wonder kids are exhausted.

QueenofLouisiana Mon 28-May-18 12:01:39

You’re right, it’s brilliant. The teacher of my parallel class and I would both like the first 2 weeks of May next year as our holiday. Year 6 parents will agree that it’s a fabulous idea.

Also, my pay is currently based on my holiday allowance, therefore I assume that I’ll be getting a hefty pay rise- about 20% if my half term brain is working right. Great idea.

AnnieAnoniMouser Mon 28-May-18 12:01:40

😂🤣😂🤣😂

Mad as a box of 🐸🐸🐸🐸

CuteOrangeElephant Mon 28-May-18 12:02:41

I would love to have some discretionary days to take off. There's an important holiday in my home country happening during term time that I would love my daughter to experience.

Now I would have to either not go or eat the fine for the Friday/Monday it would require.

SalveGrumio Mon 28-May-18 12:02:46

You'd have to increase teacher's salaries. At the moment they are only paid for the 195 days of school plus 28 days statutory holiday. So most of the 13 weeks is unpaid.

Plus we are haemorrhaging teachers from the profession as it is and you want to make it less attractive?

Maelstrop Mon 28-May-18 12:03:52

Shit idea, OP. I worked 12-9 yesterday marking GCSE oral exams and will be doing the same for the next few days. When would exams be marked if I didn’t have the holiday?

BoneyBackJefferson Mon 28-May-18 12:05:05

As a teacher I would love it.

13 weeks extra money (currently only paid 1265 hours, no holiday pay)
Only work 9-5, turn up on the dot, leave on the dot.
A clearly defined work contract and definition, no more till the job gets done BS.
Wouldn't have to worry about pastoral stuff, I'm a teacher, I teach someone else can do the other bits.
Children that will be removed from my class(if not the school) when they attack teachers or swear at us. (its just like a normal work place)
Parents that I don't have to deal with because they start swearing on the phone, or getting physically aggressive .
No more extra curricular stuff, no trips out, no weekend activities.
Getting paid overtime.
Proper training that takes place when I am at work and not in the holidays.
Not having to catch up pupils that missed work due to holidays
having my holidays in the run up to the exams (cos I can)
Being able to drink when I like and go to the toilet in the middle of the lesson.
Not having to work with 'substandard materials', Its a business now surely the input stream will be fully QA'd and QC'd before it gets to me.
And having clearly defined breaks in which I don't have to do anything.

It will be interesting to see when the OP thinks that teachers should fit in the marking and the lesson planning.

LoniceraJaponica Mon 28-May-18 12:05:37

sosogood in UK state schools the summer holidays are only 6 weeks.

BlueSapp Mon 28-May-18 12:07:55

Sosogoodagain This is what my kids school does, they start the summer school in July and run to mid August and they all love it, its a shorter day and they go on outings too during the three weeks its on.
It is difficult when you have to go to work and they are crying wanting you to stay home because they really don't understand why you can't, for two months.

AlpacaLypse Mon 28-May-18 12:08:21

I absolutely agree that the holiday weeks need to be redistributed, but the total length of school times is about right - 39 weeks school, 13 weeks holiday. July and August in the UK seem to be consistently wet and miserable, May-June and September tend to be far nicer. Five two week breaks and one three week one would be much better.

BlueSapp Mon 28-May-18 12:09:01

LoniceraJaponica in NI which is UK also btw the holidays are just over Two months, that is a long time

kittymamma Mon 28-May-18 12:09:32

What BoneyBackJefferson said with the addition of:

When I take my 4 weeks holiday a year, I am not responsible for setting cover in this time. The classes are officially "not my problem".

This is so going to be a win for us teachers!

LokiBear Mon 28-May-18 12:09:46

I teacg my subject at GCSE level. 40% of the final grade comes from 'Non Examined Assessment' or, coursework, if you prefer. Pupils complete this over a term, in groups. Could you imagine if, out of a group of 4, 2 pupils wentbon holiday at seperate times? The rest of the group would suffer and they risk 40% of their final grade. As it is, the vast majority of parebts avoid booking hokidays during term time in year 10 and 11. Under this idea, theyd have no choice and neither would I!

SkaPunkPrincess Mon 28-May-18 12:09:51

theboud yes I do, two actually.

senioritabonita Mon 28-May-18 12:10:03

Why not move to a kibbutz and out source the child rearing all together?

FairyLightBlanket45 Mon 28-May-18 12:10:31

If this ever came to reality- those poor children I would cry for them!

So many children wouldnt even get time off! At my nursery we have plenty of children who are full time - 7am till 6pm all year round. They get exhausted! Imagine doing that when naps and general free play is out the question and they have to be "learning" the whole time - And sadly for lots of them mum and dad get a week of leave and still put the child in full time

(im not bashing full time nursery at all I know its a necessity for so many but this point makes me sad, let them have a break too)

Why cant kids be kids these days? Why is it seen by so many that kids have to be working more, that kids have to fall into an adult routine so early? Why do we expect them too?
At nursery, the toddlers and babies generally wake up from nap time at about 3 pm- we are then expected to have a jam packed afternoon of learning opportunities- theyve had it with concentration by then! School finishes when it does for the sake of the children- from working in schools too children have pretty much lost the plot by 3pm! They could never manage all year round.

Besides which we also have one of the shortest summer holiday breaks across the world- America get close to 3 months in some parts, most of Europe have broken up by late June/start of July and dont go back more than a week sooner than we do, one of my friends works in an international school in the UAE and they get 2 months- privates schools have 2 months! Its barely even 6 weeks now the summer holiday- let them have it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »