Talk

Advanced search

To buy a house with one toilet

(213 Posts)
wellwhatisit Sun 27-May-18 16:05:07

Is this a bad idea?

The only toilet is in the bathroom. It's a two bed house. Would this get annoying?

cedoren Sun 27-May-18 16:06:51

Depends how many people live there!

cadburyegg Sun 27-May-18 16:07:35

Quite standard for a house that size. As for if it’s annoying or not that purely depends on your circumstances. If there’s just 2 of you it’s fine, if you have 2 kids then its probably annoying.

stevie69 Sun 27-May-18 16:08:45

I've only got one toilet. There again, I've only got one ar*e .....

kaytee87 Sun 27-May-18 16:09:23

How many people? Just a couple then fine, plus kids then might be annoying but not undoable.

I don't know of any 2 beds that would have 2 bathrooms though

wellwhatisit Sun 27-May-18 16:10:37

I'm talking about a downstairs loo rather than two bathrooms.

Flyingpompom Sun 27-May-18 16:10:43

It is absolutely normal in my world to only have one toilet in a house! Especially a two bedroom house.

cedoren Sun 27-May-18 16:10:59

Most normal houses had one toilet until quite recently

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 27-May-18 16:11:13

We have a 3 bed house. 2 adults, two kids and various friends over etc. Never been an issue. Just asking if anyone needs a wee before you get in the bath.

Vitalogy Sun 27-May-18 16:11:46

Well at least it's not an outside one.

Fatted Sun 27-May-18 16:11:56

We've got 2 toilets in our house. Never used the downstairs one when it was just DH and I. We just used it for storage because it was under the stairs. As soon as DS started toilet training, we cleared out the downstairs loo and now I couldn't manage without it.

steff13 Sun 27-May-18 16:12:36

I wouldn't. How many people are in your family?

UrsulaPandress Sun 27-May-18 16:13:57

Two toilets is a pretty modern concept in 'normal' houses. I wouldn't want to be without a downstairs loo now, but we are three storey and I'm a bit crippled.

ApolloandDaphne Sun 27-May-18 16:14:10

One toilet is fine in a 2 bed house. How many of you will be living in the house?

Fruitcorner123 Sun 27-May-18 16:14:15

FGS loads of 2 bed houses have one toilet. Its perfectly normal. Are there more than 3 of you in the house?

stevie69 Sun 27-May-18 16:14:15

Well at least it's not an outside one.

Actually, I lied. I do have two. There's one in the shed at the bottom of the back garden. I'm led to believe that it works. I've never been in the shed shock

YetAnotherUser Sun 27-May-18 16:15:00

There's only one toilet in my 3 bedroom house (1 adult and 2 children).

Gets a bit hectic if someone wants a dump in the morning but it's manageable.

AlmostAJillSandwich Sun 27-May-18 16:15:05

I grew up in a 3 bed, 4 people, 1 bathroom/toilet. It was hell, since both me and my sister have MH issues, would both end up needing the loo around the same time, and because of really bad ritualistic behaviour, it would take both of us at least an hour to go, so one of us (it was always me, i could hold it easier/longer) qwould end up having to wait, desperate and in pain, while my sister went. Got even worse when she started having to take a 2 hour shower after going.

I now have an oversensitive bladder nerve, and severe urgency issues. I've not wet myself yet, but im now completely housebound by it, and im pretty sure all those years of having to wait has caused both physical and psychological damage.

Appreciated this is an extreme example, but when my parents bought the house they had no idea they would end up having 2 very sick children with conflicting issues like this, where one of us couldn't just nip in and out in a few minutes, which is how it now works that it's just me and my dad here. If i ever move out from here, i would never move somewhere that didn't have at least 2 toilets. You never know when someone might become ill, a UTI and no ability to wait if someones in, IBS, even just something like food poisoning, or a plumbing issue if the toilet breaks, especially in the evening or at a weekend/bank holiday.

Genderwitched Sun 27-May-18 16:15:21

No, I don't really get this fad for loads of toilets. We live in a three bedroomed terrace and have one toilet in the bathroom. We have two DC and never had any problems even though one is now early twenties and one a teen.

There have been occasional times when one of the DC has been in the bathroom for a while and someone else wants to go, but to be honest we'd rather use the space for something else

Teateaandmoretea Sun 27-May-18 16:15:22

I lived for 9 years in a house with one toilet, it was separate to the bathroom though and tbh it would have been pretty simple to stick one at the back of the integrated garage had we actually been bothered. With DC I think it would be a pita only having one though.

agentdaisy Sun 27-May-18 16:15:58

I live in a 3 bedroom house with 6, sometimes 7, people and only one toilet. We manage. It can be a bit annoying when you're in the shower and a dc needs the toilet but that's why we have a decent, completely opaque, shower curtain.

I've so far survived living in houses with only one toilet and parents plus kids living there, as have almost all of my friends. You just get into the habit of checking that no one needs the toilet before you get in the shower.

Battleax Sun 27-May-18 16:16:26

It’s only twenty years since this was perfectly standard. You’ll manage. Although if there are eight of you stacked on bunk beds maybe you won’t want to.

BendydickCuminsnatch Sun 27-May-18 16:17:31

We have a 3 bed semi and only one loo, upstairs. It was annoying for around 2 weeks while DS1 potty trained. Had his bday party recently and everyone had to go upstairs, not a huge deal but would have been better to have a downstairs loo. Also DS has a habit of weeing in the garden if he’s out there and the loo seems so far away 😄 but overall, family of 4, day to day it’s fine. And fewer loos to clean!

AmazinglyGrace Sun 27-May-18 16:18:00

About 14 years ago I moved into a house with a downstairs toilet, a family bathroom and an en suite. It too had only 2 bedrooms. It always confused me a bit!

AmazinglyGrace Sun 27-May-18 16:18:56

And there were just 2 of us living there...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: