Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to consider taking a toddler on a four and a half flight for her first holiday?

(81 Posts)
Littlemissindecisiveagain Sun 27-May-18 13:45:12

Hi We have the opportunity to fly with gps to go on a holiday next year to a hotel they have previously visited and have said will be great for her. My only concern is that she hasn’t flown before and the flight will be four and a half hours. Aibu to consider this or should I go somewhere closer to begin with? I know we are lucky to have this option but I would appreciate any advice anyone can offer thank you smile

Littlemissindecisiveagain Sun 27-May-18 13:47:46

I Forgot to she will be two and a half at the time

VogueVVague Sun 27-May-18 13:48:34

Im not sure why you'd bother. Hotels are much alike. Just go to france.

Musicalstatues Sun 27-May-18 13:50:29

Both my children’s first flights were about 9 hours long aged approx 14 months! She’ll be fine. They have since flown that distance every year or twice a year. (Now aged 6 and 3) Once they’re old enough to watch things on the iPad it becomes so much easier! Just be prepared with snacks/toys/iPad and you will be fine.

Storm4star Sun 27-May-18 13:53:06

The airline often provide kiddie packs which are fun, unless it’s a budget airline. Take along plenty of snacks and things to amuse her and she’ll be fine.

emmyrose2000 Sun 27-May-18 13:53:27

We took DC1 on their first overseas holiday at 17 months. There was 1.5 hour flight followed by a 14 hour flight two hours later. It wasn't an issue at all.

DC loved exploring the hotel rooms. I think it was his favourite part of the trip.

MatildaTheCat Sun 27-May-18 13:55:37

That’s fine.

SometimesMaybe Sun 27-May-18 14:00:16

She will be fine. It could be hard work but you just need to be prepared. Lots of snacks. Lots of walks up and down the plane to the toilet. Take it in turns so you feel like you get a break. By the age she will probably watch a tablet for a short while so downloads lots of props. Buy a new toy to have on the plane. Take a long extra Toys, books, puzzle. At that age my kids will fall asleep too because of the motion and noise so you might find the time passes quite quickly!

TroysMammy Sun 27-May-18 14:00:50

My niece was 16 months when she first flew. She was good as gold on the flight out. Even had a lovely comment from the lady in front of us when leaving the plane that she didn't know a baby was sitting behind her.

The flight back home was a different matter. blush

TroubledLichen Sun 27-May-18 14:02:17

We live abroad from our family so long flights, much longer than 4 hours, are just something we have to do. I can’t exactly say I enjoy the experience but it’s fine. Definitely go on the holiday.

HolidayHelpPlease Sun 27-May-18 14:03:43

You’ll be fine so long as it’s not a night flight. I can’t imagine how stressful a four hour night flight would be with a screaming toddler (but I am a pessimist!)

GreatDuckCookery Sun 27-May-18 14:04:12

It's fine. I fly a lot and there's always ting children in the flight who by and large cope really well, take snacks, cuddly toy, books etc and you'll be fine, she may drop off to sleep for a while which would give you a bit of a break.

ScrubTheDecks Sun 27-May-18 14:04:34

It’ll be fine. Take wipes and a clean top for you and her. Hopefully she will sleep. A drink to suck during take off and landing (take empty spouted cup or bottle and fill once you are through security) to keep her ears ‘popped ‘,

Eastcoastmost Sun 27-May-18 14:05:11

Mine have been flying back and forth across the Atlantic since they were babies. Not a big deal. At all.

wendz86 Sun 27-May-18 14:06:20

My first flight with DD 1 who was 2 was 8 hours and she was fine.

LokiBear Sun 27-May-18 14:08:30

Im taking my toddler to Mauritius in 7 weeks. She will be 18 months. Im nervous, i wouldnt have chosen to go so far with her at such a young age buy im planning to bring as many distractions as I can. I have am IPad loaded with Bing, Teletubbies and some interactive games. Im also planning to make a lucky dip bag of little cheap toys. Also, treats. Dd2 is a livewire and its going to be tough going. Im absolutely dreading trying to get her to go to sleep. But, Im just going to try and be as prepared as possible.

PositivelyPERF Sun 27-May-18 14:12:32

Download lots of her favourite cartoons and get her a good quality set of earphones (not buds as they aren’t good for little ones). They can be worn around your neck, so they won’t be included as luggage. Get some chewy sweets, such as laces, for the take off and landing. Drinks with straws, in case of spills. And gin for mummy.

SalutingMagpies Sun 27-May-18 14:27:01

I had a four-hour flight when my eldest was 18 months old. The best advice I had, and followed, was to break the journey up into 15-minutes activities - I put together a bag of books, small toys, sticker books and snacks; downloaded some kids’ shows onto the iPad and fed on takeoff and landing.

HappyGirl86 Sun 27-May-18 14:45:27

My daughter was 2 in February and we flew to Tenerife in November last year. It was a 4.5 hour flight.
The outward flight was ok but coming back I found really stressful BUT I must stress that this is mostly because;
1) she was under 2 and didn't have her own seat so was climbing over us and couldn't sit comfy
2) she has never been a child that would fall asleep on us so she was really tired
3) As it was only a short flight the plane wasn't big like a long haul flight so I couldn't really walk around and stand anywhere with her to keep her busy.

It has put me off flying that distance at the moment but I know loads of people who have and their kids have been fine. I'm hoping that maybe we can do a long haul flight (8 hours) next year when she is that bit older and may sit better.
Our holiday was great and she loved every minute so I guess the flight was worth it though!

Littlemissindecisiveagain Sun 27-May-18 14:59:49

Thank you for all your replies, it has made me much less anxious about it all

WinkysTeatowel Sun 27-May-18 15:51:57

Pick sensible timed flights too. I always book daytime flights, no-one including the parents wants to be on a night flight with a screaming child. You'll significantly reduce stress levels that way.

Stinkbomb Sun 27-May-18 15:56:01

Not u at all, not sure why it would be really.
Have been taking DD abroad since she was tiny - each flight is diff as she has changed so much, even within a couple of months, but never any problems - just be prepared with plenty of toys & activities.

lifelifelife Sun 27-May-18 15:57:52

That would be a nightmare, for you and other passengers.

She will probably throw a strop/get bored/get sick/ cry when her ears pop.

I wouldn't do it.

Fintress Sun 27-May-18 16:00:37

She'll be absolutely fine. One of the little ones in my family has flown to the UK twice from NZ before he was 18 months old. He was good as gold. Just take plenty of 'new' things to entertain her.

youdialwetile Sun 27-May-18 16:02:10

I did 8h flights pretty routinely with mine from 3 months old. It's hard work but doable. Go!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: