Talk

Advanced search

To buy ds a vape

(5 Posts)
thesnailandthewhale Sun 27-May-18 13:17:28

Ds is 15 and I have caught him a couple of times over the last 2 years with filter papers / lighter.

He does have asd and struggles to make friends and is under Camhs for anxiety / depression although things have improved there.

He can be quite secretive and we have been working hard on communication and trust. This week he has admitted he is smoking regularly with friends, and has asked me to buy him a vape to help him stop. He has suggested I look after it (I have a safe in my bedroom it can be locked in) and has explained to me all about the various strength e-liquids (I was oblivious). He has shown me various articles suggesting it is less harmful than smoking cigarettes (but still harmful and far from ideal in my eyes).

WIBU to buy one and regulate the usage of it, with the aim of helping him quit? He has admitted he will probably get one via mates if I don't help him anyway. I feel torn, my Mum smokes and I have always hated it with a passion and am so disappointed ds smokes (despite knowing it's a fairly normal phase for a lot of teenagers). It feels so wrong to even be considering it.

VogueVVague Sun 27-May-18 13:19:34

Hows he affording to smoke? Costs a bomb these days.

UpstartCrow Sun 27-May-18 13:20:56

If the alternative is to have him smoke then its worth considering, but first get him Alan Carrs book Easiway to Quit smoking and see how he gets on with that.

thesnailandthewhale Sun 27-May-18 13:23:37

He says he doesn't pay for it, 'someone always has some baccy on them' . He does have a part-time job but he saves his wages (paid directly into his bank) and he doesn't even know his bank details, he asks me first if he wants something and it's only ever buying a game on Steam online, which I use my paypal for and then transfer from his account to mine.

recklessruby Sun 27-May-18 13:26:27

He s going to get one anyway. He has admitted this and it's good he wants to quit. Maybe you can work on this together and tbh vaping is a lot better than smoking cigarettes. Also you mentioned papers. I know a lot of people smoke roll ups these days but make sure he's not experimenting with weed which needs papers and something a lot of teenagers do at some point to fit in especially as he finds social situations difficult. A lot use it to deal with anxiety.
Yanbu and it's good he is being open with you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: