Talk

Advanced search

To get irate at mil's bbq hygiene?

(91 Posts)
FleurDelacoeur Sat 26-May-18 13:50:04

BBQ planned for later today. Prawns and chicken sitting out on the worktop as there's no room for them in the fridge.

Fridge full of new potatoes and corn on the cob.

Chicken and prawns now in fridge and veg on worktop. MIL not impressed. It's going to be a king afternoon.

Ohmydayslove Sat 26-May-18 13:55:30

If it’s your bbq it’s your rules.

Just make sure all well cooked and hope the rain holds off for you. smile

FleurDelacoeur Sat 26-May-18 13:57:46

Well to be fair it's her bbq at her house. But still, anyone knows that you refrigerate chicken. No one ever got food poisoning from eating corn on the cob.

liz70 Sat 26-May-18 14:21:16

The veg could be left out on the worktop - it doesn't need to be kept in the fridge. chicken and prawns, presumably raw? should be refrigerated. Basic food hygiene, I'd have thought.

Daddystepdaddy Sat 26-May-18 14:59:29

If it is just a few hours in reality it won't make any difference but I would generally refrigerate meat before veg.

peachypetite Sat 26-May-18 15:00:12

Why would you prioritise sweet corn over meat in the fridge?

DuchyDuke Sat 26-May-18 15:02:14

It won’t make a difference for a few hours.

TERFragetteCity Sat 26-May-18 15:03:03

Potatoes in the fridge? WTF???

Queenoftheblitz Sat 26-May-18 15:04:57

Your mil is an arsehole.

CutesyUserName Sat 26-May-18 15:09:21

A few hours can make a big difference, especially on a warm day. Prawns and chicken should be refrigerated until they are ready to cook (or within half an hour or so). I wouldn't touch them now - let others enjoy them if they want to, but I wouldn't take the chance.

YummySushi Sat 26-May-18 15:12:52

Queen.. that’s a bit of an overreaction seeing that nothing happened yet.

Op.., she might just b fused about the fact ur teaching her what to do at her own bbq when she wanted to feel appreciated.

Just like how we don’t like them interfering in our homes, try not to interfere either... u could’ve suggested it politely. Or told ur husband to insist. I’m sure everyone thinks it’s odd to put potato in fridge instead of raw chicken ..

But perhaps knowing that she raised ur husband and he didn’t dye of food poisoning, perhaps this was a temporary arrangement or she had a plan.. or mayb was distracted. U pointing it out politely in a question manner humbly is fine, u taking initiative to fid things isn’t - unless chicken was outside for like 3 hrs so on in a hot weather.

Anyway, I think ur approach was unreasonable. Sounds like battle of power..

PP if this was the op complaining that her mil did that in OPs house, u would’ve all said the mil was being intrusive. So stick to ur principles.

So YABU.

ScrubTheDecks Sat 26-May-18 15:15:00

A few hours in the warm can definitely affect prawns. My Mum’s friend poisoned practically every guest at her Dd’s Wedding by leaving the prawn vol au vents in the marquee: ‘they’re in the shade’ shockconfused

YummySushi Sat 26-May-18 15:15:12

If I was in ur position I would’ve just said :

“Mil, can I take out things from fridge to put the meat? “.. am sure she wouldn’t say no .. I’m sure she is just bothered by ur approach. Be fair

Barbaro Sat 26-May-18 15:16:13

Not unreasonable. No way would I be eating chicken or prawns that weren't refrigerated beforehand. Other people can play the odds that they won't get food poisoning, I'd like it guaranteed.

MyBreadIsEggy Sat 26-May-18 15:16:49

Scrub shit 😳😳😳

FleurDelacoeur Sat 26-May-18 15:16:53

She's not an arsehole. She just doesn't understand food hygiene but doesn't take kindly to being told.

She refrigerates everything from chocolate biscuits to fruit.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Sat 26-May-18 15:19:52

A few hours in this heat would make a hell of a difference shock
I think I'd abstain from the BBQ and nip to McDonalds later...

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 26-May-18 15:22:02

Omg I think she needs a little education. Hope you are all hail and hearty this time tomorrow!

piefacedClique Sat 26-May-18 15:25:40

Had a massive falling out with inlaws over bbq hygiene so I feel your pain.... Mine bought a shed load of bbq food before we went out for the day, then left it in the car in 28 degree heat ALL DAY! They couldn’t understand why I didn’t want to eat it and stopped at the supermarket in the way home to buy separate food for us on the way home from the theme park at 6pm!!! And he wonders why he has the shits all the time!!! Caused carnage!

ScrubTheDecks Sat 26-May-18 15:35:46

People do disgusting things at barbecues: use tongs on raw chicken and then put cooked sausages in buns with them, or raw sausages and then salad, put the cooked burgers in the plate still covered in raw meat juice from before they were cooked. Up the carcinogens by putting food on tne grill when a top up ‘instant lighting’ charcoal is still smoking paraffin fumes and covering the food in soot.

The Toxins of Summer!

IwantedtobeEmmaPeel Sat 26-May-18 15:36:34

Potatoes should never be kept in the fridge. She definitely needs to educate herself on basic food hygiene. You did the right thing Op.

GreatDuckCookery Sat 26-May-18 15:37:48

When is the bbq?

Aeroflotgirl Sat 26-May-18 15:40:47

The veg, corn on the cob would be out, and the fish and meat in the fridge.

kalapattar Sat 26-May-18 15:41:00

People do disgusting things at barbecues: use tongs on raw chicken and then put cooked sausages in buns with them, or raw sausages and then salad, put the cooked burgers in the plate still covered in raw meat juice from before they were cooked. Up the carcinogens by putting food on tne grill when a top up ‘instant lighting’ charcoal is still smoking paraffin fumes and covering the food in soot

But BBQs are tasty though grin

(I agree about the tongs and the plates though)

Ohmydayslove Sat 26-May-18 15:45:47

Yes I got to say I am very fussy about who is doing the bbq and how! I prefer cooking in the bloody oven properly and then eating outside. grin

It’s amazing how some people don’t seem to know basic hygiene.

Mind you my lovely mil allowed her dh and my dh to store maggots on her fridge to keep them cool for fishing. They were in a closed container but omg!!

Dh thought he could do it in our fridge when we moved in together. He was sadly mistaken yeuk!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: