Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours have gone on holiday and left their dogs...

(40 Posts)
chinesechicken Sat 26-May-18 12:43:29

Ugh i am so tired today. Basically my neighbours have gone on holiday and left their 3 dogs. Someone is coming in twice a day to let them out but then they're left alone all night and they are barking continuously from 9pm till about 4am. I don't know how they didn't pass out as they were barking so long. i work really long shifts and I can't cope with less than an hour of solid sleep a night and I have 3 small children.

I haven't manage to catch the person who is letting them out, i only know as i noticed that some water appeared outside a few times.

Is there anything we can do? We're not exactly friendly with these neighbours...they rent but i don't know who their estate agent is.

SirVixofVixHall Sat 26-May-18 12:45:35

What sort of person does this ? For one day when it can’t be avoided maybe, but actually go on holiday ? You could call the RSPCA ? The non emergency local police ?

SandyY2K Sat 26-May-18 12:45:56

I feel for you. No idea what you can do, but I woudnt leave a dog in that situation.

NoStraightEdges Sat 26-May-18 12:46:20

Can you call the RSPCA? It sounds like the poor dogs are distressed.

Speakingmymind Sat 26-May-18 12:46:50

Leave a note on the door. 'Let the dogs out again overnight and I'll call the RDPCA to get them removed as abandoned dog's?

chinesechicken Sat 26-May-18 12:46:50

Honestly @sirvixofvixhall I am gobsmacked but they are rather irresponsible with their dogs which is why we aren't on good terms. I am a bit on edge about calling the police as I had to call them before when their dogs pushed their way into my house to get to my children.

divadee Sat 26-May-18 12:49:01

Rspca won't normally do anything if they are being fed and have access to water.

SilverHairedCat Sat 26-May-18 12:49:35

Google the address, the last letting agent advert can often be found that way.

Leave a note on the door, anonymously if you want, saying you've called the police, RSPCA, council, agents and anyone else you like local paper and that they'll be in touch with the occupants regarding the neglect of the animals and the noise nuisance.

Then contact all of the above.

Record the noise.

GuntyMcGee Sat 26-May-18 12:52:04

RSPCA won't do anything. I had a similar situation last year. As long as the dog has shelter and is being fed once a day they won't help.

Record the noise and keep a diary of noise and comings and goings, then speak to council for a noise complaint.

Might be worth speaking to the estate agent to pass a message to landlord so they can come and check the property

Tobesoconfused Sat 26-May-18 12:53:24

I would just call the rspca now. If people can't make proper arrangements for their dogs then they shouldn't go on holiday or they shouldn't have dogs

Stormwhale Sat 26-May-18 12:54:11

To keep your sanity remember that this can't go on forever. They will come back from holiday eventually. Also buy some earplugs, again just to stop you from going insane.
I'm not sure the police/rspca will do anything as their basic needs are being met. That does not mean it is not a dispicable thing to do. Poor dogs and poor you. sad

Pob13 Sat 26-May-18 12:55:22

I feel your pain. I have the same problem. My neighbours go away every school holiday and leave their 3 yappy dogs (+ 3 cats and a talking parrot). They have a dog flap so free reign of the garden. Someone comes in once a day to feed them. But they never clean up after them. So when its hot and they have been away for over a week the smell of dog shit is horrible. Like idiots we have never said anything to keep the peace.

Bodear Sat 26-May-18 12:55:26

Silver What do you think the local paper will do? Why on earth would they care? hmm
OP it’s tough but I’m not sure there’s much you can do. I feel sorry for the dogs.

ColoursOfRain Sat 26-May-18 12:55:32

Try the dog warden?

GothMummy Sat 26-May-18 12:56:29

Poor dogs. Call the RSPCA.

juneau Sat 26-May-18 12:57:48

I'd call 101. Barking from 10pm to 4am is a serious nuisance noise issue.

VogueVVague Sat 26-May-18 12:58:40

Post on local FB group to publicly shame

juneau Sat 26-May-18 12:59:10

You can also report them to the council (as long as you're in England or Wales - not sure what the rules are for Scotland and NI): www.gov.uk/report-noise-pollution-to-council

SilverHairedCat Sat 26-May-18 13:01:22

Public shaming is my intent with the local paper! Same for the Facebook pages. Look for a local Gossip Girls page, or a local town page and ask whether anyone can contact the owners or sitter as you're concerned for the well being of the animals.... Or get a mate to do it who doesn't live nearby. I'll do it!!

ToadOfSadness Sat 26-May-18 13:03:08

If they are not let out surely they will just bark inside the house and still be a nuisance, poor dogs.

4littlebirds Sat 26-May-18 13:05:15

Try to catch whoever is looking after them and explain about the barking. dont assume the worst.
The neighbours, pet sitters - or whoever is visiting them probably don’t know the dogs are barking, because they are not there to witness it.

chinesechicken Sat 26-May-18 13:05:50

My main concern is that I work in the NHS and my job involves having to be very focused and giving drugs so I really cannot be going into work on this much sleep. I am so frigging stressed. I'm going to speak to the other neighbours in a second.

DarlingNikita Sat 26-May-18 13:09:58

Public shaming is my intent with the local paper!

I agree with this. Also find their letting agent and call the council about the noise nuisance.

ScrubTheDecks Sat 26-May-18 13:10:11

Call your council's noise people?

Are the dogs inside or outside?

I know you shouldn't have to , but is there anywhere you can go and stay for a couple of days? Use the house of a friend or relative who has gone away for Bank Hol, just so you can sleep?

Silicon ear plugs?

happypoobum Sat 26-May-18 13:12:10

I don't think RSPCA would be remotely interested in dogs that are housed fed and watered.

You could try council re the noise element but they possibly won't get around to you for a while. What do posters expect the dog sitters to do about it? They may not be able to stay overnight and even that might not stop the barking. It sounds as though the dogs are missing their family overnight.

Can you hear the barking from every room OP? Is there anywhere else you could stay so you don't drive yourself insane with the tiredness?

Obviously when they get back you can explain to them what has happened and implore them to kennel the dogs next time, but what is really needed now is a strategy to get you through the next few days/weeks? until they come back.

Maybe if you can catch the dogsitter they can at least tell you when they are coming back so you can plan around that? flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: