Talk

Advanced search

Do you love, or hate your house?

(149 Posts)
OnTheporch Sat 26-May-18 10:30:47

I've hated every house I've lived in apart from my current house which I love.

It's set back away from the street via a drive, and then another private drive to access the house so we're nowhere near any proper roads. To the side of us is green land. It's detached so no neighbours to fall out with.

Inside it's all corridors and rooms, no open plan nonsense so it's easy to hide away from people. I love it. I can't imagine a better house and I've never felt so settled.

It's 4 bedroomed and the kids are slowly starting to leave - soon we'll only have one here and they're 17 so might fly the nest soon also.

Would I be unreasonable to stay here forever even though it's much surplus to requirements?

Do you love or hate your house and why?

ProustianMadeleine Sat 26-May-18 10:32:35

I love my house. Hated my last one. There was too much of my mother in the place and it never felt like my home. So glad we moved.

ScaredPAD Sat 26-May-18 10:33:53

It sounds lovely. I'm jealous!

I hate my house..boxy ex housing association and far too cramped and dark. Not a great road.

But can't see much chance of changing it.

BrutusMcDogface Sat 26-May-18 10:35:30

The only reason I hate my house at the moment is the enormous volume of clutter that fills everywhere and makes it a stressful place to be. Working on it, though! I want to love it again. It's nothing special but it's home.

sunshinesupermum Sat 26-May-18 10:35:39

I love my 2 bed flat - it has a huge roof terrace which I love to potter around in. I'm close to transport, GPs surgery and shops. What's not to love. Hop to stay here forever. The only fly in the ointment is that I would like to give my younger daughter help to buy her own home and can't do that without selling and moving to another area.

IfNot Sat 26-May-18 10:37:31

I'd stay there, sounds perfect! Have a sewing room, a room for curing ham, a home gym...grin
I hate my house because it's small and dark, bits are crumbling off it and doing it up is like polishing a turd.
The area is ok, (even though some of my neighbours are total chavs they don't really bother me) and I have some nice birds in the garden,but I'm saving to move.
My ideal would be a detached 1920s house tucked away on the edge of town with a massive garden and space for veggie patch. Next to a graveyard!

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Sat 26-May-18 10:37:58

A bit of both. The advantages (small town with good facilities, near larger towns, sufficient room for the 4 of us, low maintenance) outweigh the disadvantages (only 1 parking space, small + difficult back garden, not enough room to accommodate guests without someone giving up their room). The location and potential cost of moving will make us stay here, there’s a massive leap in cost here to the next size of house and after the last move we really aren’t keen to do it again.

Yogagirl123 Sat 26-May-18 10:38:16

Love my house! Only home my DS’ have ever known, plenty of space, it will break my heart too leave it when we down size in a few years time, but I will take all the happy and some sad memories with me.

littlepeas Sat 26-May-18 10:38:19

I love my house - it’s nothing spectacular, just a largeish new build with decent sized rooms and good views. It needs quite a bit doing to it, but it feels very much like home. I hated the house I grew up in though - cold, damp, horrible atmosphere, busy road.......my mum still lives there, I wish she’d move.

MaryShelley1818 Sat 26-May-18 10:38:28

Absolutely LOVE our house!
It’s a large Edwardian end terrace with 4 beds, a courtyard, a huge 2-storey outbuilding and then a suntrap of a garden at the back.
It has loads of extending potential and was an absolute bargain due to zero kerb appeal and an undersirable location on an Ind Est. Literally 1mile up the road it would have cost double!

CopONNotLinkedIn Sat 26-May-18 10:39:51

I do get the 'at home' feeling in it and I feel secure in it. First home I owned on my own (not with a xh I mean). It's very small though and lately I've been craving luxury as well as space! I've no money to move to a bigger and a nicer house.

CopONNotLinkedIn Sat 26-May-18 10:42:34

@maryshelley1818, I agree that what makes your home lovable is how you feel when you're in it. Kerb appeal is lovely but it would be the last thing on my list and you've helped me clarify that, and how to search for the type of house that would be nicer to live IN.

DottyDotts Sat 26-May-18 10:52:50

Love mine, little cottage in the middle of nowhere. Facing the sea .

Seafour Sat 26-May-18 11:29:10

Worked our socks off to create a home for our large blended family and then I broke my neck!!!!
We had to decide to either move and build/adapt something or spend a small fortune and make the house work for me.
We decided to stay on the basis that our dc's are unlikely to all end up in properties that are accessible and they are more likely to come and stay with us than visa versa.
So I have the perfect house for my needs, loads of space as most of the dc's have left home and it feels as if we did the right thing.
We have grandchildren who come and stay every weekend with my DS even though they live in the village. Plenty of space for family celebrations and have created a master bedroom suite in part of the upstairs with a massive bathroom and dressing room all accessed by a lift. I feel very very blessed, will be leaving in a box.

IJustHadToNameChange Sat 26-May-18 11:30:51

I like my house.

I don't love it.

I hate the neighbourhood with a flaming passion, but can't afford to move.

chickenowner Sat 26-May-18 11:32:28

I love our house too.

It's a Tudor house and is just so beautiful. Every time I return home and come up the drive I can't believe how lucky I am to live here!

Obviously it's not perfect - for example the wonky walls, ceilings and floors make it tricky to clean, but it's worth it.

MissMarplesKnitting Sat 26-May-18 11:36:30

Love mine.

It's not special. It's nothing much to look at outside but it's light and bright and feels homely. As soon as we stepped in to view it we loved it.

We live on the edge of a lovely village and when the windows are open I can hear birds and sheep in the neighbouring fields. There's a lovely park literally around the corner for the kids.

Is it my dream house? No. But I still love it.

DaphneduM Sat 26-May-18 11:37:05

Love my house, a very old cottage that we've slowly updated over the years. Separate rooms, rather than open plan nonsense - but a large kitchen/diner and a separate dining room. Downstairs bathroom, a room downstairs than can be turned into a bedroom if needs be, so future proofed for our old age. Sitting room with a multi-fuel stove. My own dressing room upstairs, and an en-suite. But I love my garden more! Cottage garden with an orchard, it soothes my soul.

Taffeta Sat 26-May-18 11:41:55

Our house is growing on me over the years

Been here 13 years, had lots of work done

1950s shell now totally modernised all open plan floor to ceiling glass etc

The garden & view are standout

I’ve bern slowly making my mark in the garden & it is starting to look utterly wonderful - roses, lavender, hidden bits, seating in shady spots, trees I planted 10 years ago etc

There are still a few areas of the house I’m not entirely happy with - our bedroom, the utility room

But it’s pretty awesome and is quiet but close to all we need in a pretty village etc

PurpleTigerLove Sat 26-May-18 11:44:25

I love my house but love the setting even more . Down a lane off a quiet country road . No neighbours ! It’s bliss .

ToadOfSadness Sat 26-May-18 11:44:47

I hate it. I didn't want to buy it but at the time there was very little to buy and we had to get something. I didn't want to live in it, wanted to stay where we were.

It is the noisiest place I have ever lived and I rarely get a good night's sleep here. Can't enjoy the shitty little garden for the screeching and yelling, no fresh air because of all the high trees that are here for privacy, and the high fences, it is always humid and I love peace and quiet and fresh air.

The house stinks, it has an old, dirty smell, nothing I do removes it and it is worse when the weather is humid. The drains are rubbish, someone hired a cowboy to build an extension badly and the roof leaks, the shower leaks into the room below, the new front door leaks, the windows leak.

The banks have all closed, as have the interesting and useful shops, but the thieves are out in force at the cashpoints.

People love it here, I don't see why, apart from having excellent schools it has nothing. I fear I will die here as there is no escape. I loved the last house I lived in and have missed out on buying it. Black dog is here.

FrannySalinger Sat 26-May-18 11:46:01

I absolutely love mine, fell in love the minute I walked in. It's far too big for the three of us and perpetually freezing cold and tbh stupidly impractical but I just adore it.

Gazelda Sat 26-May-18 11:47:26

I love our house. It's completely impractical, too small for us, parking is a nightmare.
But I love its character and it's location. I love that it's perfect for Christmas (Victorian cottage with fireplaces and books for trees etc).
I love that it's where I feel comfortable and can relax with people I love.
I love that, despite its impracticalities, it's likely to be our forever home and where DC will always know as home,

hushnowthanks Sat 26-May-18 11:53:52

I hate mine with a passion and daily fantasies about setting it on fire. I don’t mind the interior as such, but I hate the cul-de-sac and village in which it resides.

I’ve waited it out here for a decade and when I finally sell it on I’m going to run up the street naked and never return angry

AllMYSmellySocks Sat 26-May-18 11:56:37

I love it. First house we've ever owned (considering two years ago our outgoings pretty much equalled our income and we had no savings I certainly didn't expect to have bought by now!). Having said that I've lived in some terrible places. When our eldest was 2 and our middle DC had just been born we were living in a tiny, unbelievably damp ground floor flat with no sound proofing and an incredibly loud family living above us. Almost drove me insane.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: