Talk

Advanced search

To not understand the attraction of a spa day?

(90 Posts)
Shufflebumnessie Fri 25-May-18 21:36:51

Help me understand....

A friend has organised a get-together that will be taking place at a spa that she is a member of. As such, she can take 4 guests in for a discounted day rate. We'll each be paying £60 for what I can see is the privilege of sitting by a nice pool with optional use of the sauna & hot-tub.
The price doesn't include any treatments (these can be booked on the day but looking at the price list I can't justify their prices!). Lunch will be extra and even the robes cost extra to hire.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone but it just seems an excessive cost for a few hours of chatting and lounging around a pool.

AIBU to feel like this? I've never done anything like this before so perhaps I'm overlooking something. Please enlighten me!!

ChardonnaysPrettySister Fri 25-May-18 21:37:25

It's my idea of hell.

MarthasGinYard Fri 25-May-18 21:38:45

I wouldn't pay 60 pounds for that

And I quite enjoy a spa day.

SomeAreMoreEqualThanOthers Fri 25-May-18 21:39:33

Ugh. Can't bear the thought of it. Much more fun getting drunk in the corner of a pub somewhere imo.

Queenoftheblitz Fri 25-May-18 21:40:46

Doesn't appeal to me at all.

19lottie82 Fri 25-May-18 21:41:07

£60 @ a discounted rate, not including robes or lunch, is a fortune. Are you sure she’s not pulling your leg and pocketing the extra £?

I live in Glasgow and the poshest spa in the city is £50 and that’s without a discount.

FoodGloriousFud Fri 25-May-18 21:41:50

I love a spa day but for £60 I'd expect use of facilities, robe & slippers, food and treatments.

NewYearNewMe18 Fri 25-May-18 21:44:21

I echo - my idea of absolute hell

lemonsunshinecake Fri 25-May-18 21:45:24

My idea of hell too

DramaAlpaca Fri 25-May-18 21:46:44

And mine.

PenguinDuck Fri 25-May-18 21:46:57

The £60 is probably discounted on a day rate for the spa. (A friend is a member of a local spa. Daypackages start at £100 odd pound, but she has some guest passes for £75).

So I’d say it’s excessive if it’s not your thing, but your friend potentially (if she’s a member and so presumably likes) thinks its a really great opportunity and represents a bit of a bargain.

The other way to look at it is £60 for a whole day activity (even with robe hire, some lunch and drinks probably would be day £85?) I live in SE and so a meal out and some drinks after (and cabs either way) can easily cost that - and that would just be for an evening.

wendz86 Fri 25-May-18 21:46:59

That sounds a lot of money . I have paid just over £100 for use of spa, a 60 min treatment . Dinner, breakfast and lunch and hotel room for the night.

I do love a spa day though , just nice to be able to relax but I'd want it to be good value.

GothMummy Fri 25-May-18 21:47:49

Not my idea of fun either, would rather go for a country walk with my friends then a pub lunch.

OoohSmooch Fri 25-May-18 21:48:33

I've got our spa days for around £80 per person with lunch, robes and a least one treatment included and this is in the south east of England close to London. I use discount codes for spabreaks.com and Buyagift. I'd say that's a little steep for just the use of the facilities.

aquashiv Fri 25-May-18 21:49:00

Gosh that's rediculous. I'm rather partial to a groupan spa day with treatments and posh food.

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Fri 25-May-18 21:49:59

I love, love, love a spa day. My idea of heaven is lying by a pool reading a book, floating in the pool for a while and repeat. £60 sounds ok to me... but I'd be paying for something I like!

silkpyjamasallday Fri 25-May-18 21:50:01

I wouldn’t want to do it with someone else, exept perhaps a very close friend. But I have just booked a few nights away by myself in a spa hotel, because I haven’t had a full nights sleep in two years and I’m finally in the process of weaning DD. It is going to be blissful, and I’m ridiculously excited. But £60 for no treatments is pretty steep, I wouldn’t be very happy with that if all you are getting is pool access. I’d just be busy/suddenly ill/on your period if I were you if you don’t want to go OP.

BackIntoTheSun Fri 25-May-18 21:50:22

I've only been to a spa once and I found it the opposite of relaxing but then I don't like the idea of a stranger touching me and having to be semi naked in front of them. Also the steam room made me feel like I was drowning

Jixy8731 Fri 25-May-18 21:50:56

Ummm I like spas, but it is a chance focus on the different sensations, and have a good chat with friends. To enjoy it I think it has to be a break from the norm though and not just another day hanging around

ErictheGuineaPig Fri 25-May-18 21:51:19

Well no, of course you're not being unreasonable, people like different things don't they? I've never understood the attraction of football but millions of other people seem to.

It certainly doesn't help that you're paying an extortionate price. I've paid a bit less than that whenever I've been and it included a treatment and lunch.

Adviceneeded13 Fri 25-May-18 21:51:23

I love a spa day!! Is it in London? Because that seems like London prices! It’s great for a girly catch up and a lounge around a pool! But I would want lunch and a drink also for £60!

SmilingButClueless Fri 25-May-18 21:51:54

The spa I used to belong to charges £60 for a guest pass but I’d pay that amount because the included facilities are really good (it’s not just a pool). So if it’s that one - although I think they only allow 2 guests at a time - or a similar one then I’d pay it. If it’s literally for a pool, or a pool and a hot tub, then it’s expensive.

Also depends on how much you like the spa experience.

FatherMacKenzie Fri 25-May-18 21:52:36

I love a spa day, (not that I’ve had many), but I’ve never paid just to sit by the pool. Usually that’s included in the price of the treatment ime.

TheMasterNotMargarita Fri 25-May-18 21:52:43

That seems a lot but it depends where you are.
I usually pay £50 for 2 30 minute treatments, robe, towels, lunch, complementary fruit and drinks all day and use of the facilities.Its a lovely place too with an outdoor Jacuzzi and wonderful views.
The attraction is a nice lunch, chat to my friend (or utter peace if I go alone), a chance to swim without the kids and then time to read my book in peace! Tbh I'd pay more for that but luckily I don't have to!
I get why you'd be a bit miffed at that.

OohMavis Fri 25-May-18 21:52:57

I'd rather chew a lightbulb.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: