Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours and parking - what is reasonable / unreasonable?

(38 Posts)
PersonAtHome Fri 25-May-18 17:47:39

So... on my street parking used to be horrible but now we have residents parking so you can usually get a space somewhere, but it's a bit hotchpotch, there are a few houses with driveways, a business on the road with lots of cars dropping off and picking up.

Outside my house there's a run of three parking spaces available (before you hit gaps for driveways) that stretches across three houses - we're in the middle.

I have two cars, but I only ever put one outside my house, I leave the other across the road in the no man's parking bit, or find another area on the road that isn't so popular (it varies depending on what's available). My neighbour has two cars but ALWAYS has both cars outside on this little stretch of spaces and they don't move or use the cars for weeks at a time. And the other neighbour runs out into the street at every opportunity to move her car to the third space (so if we get this space it's gone as soon as we do a school run). So it means we can rarely get one of the spaces outside our house.

I don't mind this for exercise purposes but when we want to load the car to go to the tip, come back with heavy plants from garden centre, come back from school run with loads of bags and instruments etc, want to wash the car it's getting really wearing never being allowed to park outside our house. And it feels like the spaces belong to our neighbours rather than us.

WIBU if I wrote to the two car neighbour and asked them politely if they'd mind keeping one of their cars off this stretch like we do? Obviously I'd say that it's not about me creating some kind of rule, but more about common sense - if they had shopping or tired or something I'm not expecting them to not park outside their own house.

I'd go and ask in person but the man of the couple is very overbearing - negotiation is not his strong point and he's shouted me down on various other issues. Not literally shouting, just very strongly opinionated and not good at listening to others. Him and his wife are very polite though and if I put it down nicely in writing they might even be mortified to know how much inconvenience it's causing us.

AnaisB Fri 25-May-18 17:50:14

I think on street parking is first come first serve - sorry.

deste Fri 25-May-18 17:52:32

If at all possible I would put a driveway in front of my house with a drop kerb.

PersonAtHome Fri 25-May-18 17:54:17

Ok.

Annoyingly my other neighbour has asked this of me (even though I was naturally doing it anyway, leaving 'her' space free). On the one time I parked there she texted me asking me not to leave two cars there. Me being me I felt guilty for doing so as she has kids and I can see it's an issue for her (as it is for me).

My other option is to flatten my front garden and create a driveway and then they won't be able to park there anymore anyway, but it's a bit nature killing and expensive so I'm not sure.

PersonAtHome Fri 25-May-18 17:55:35

deste I cross posted....

gamerwidow Fri 25-May-18 17:59:26

On street parking is first come first served. You can’t ask your neighbours not to park one of their cars there but they can’t ask you not to park both of your cars there either. I’d stop being so reasonable and park both of your cars there if you get the chance.

Sabulous Fri 25-May-18 17:59:33

On street parking is first come first served I'm afraid. Your best bet is putting in a driveway, if you have the space to do so.

Lacucuracha Fri 25-May-18 18:00:11

Start parking both your cars there as well.

If neighbour with kids complains, tell her that her rushing out to move her car into the space as soon as it is vacated it is just as annoying.

Play them at their own games.

mummymeister Fri 25-May-18 18:10:40

don't let this escalate into any sort of dispute with your neighbours. it is miserable living in a situation where people are nitpicking about everything because it started with a parking dispute and then went to kids in the street, music in the garden, a party etc etc.

your only realistic options are to suck it up and just not let it bother you or put in a hardstanding outside your house. whatever you negotiate with your neighbours at some point will get broken. either because they move and you get new people or some other reason.

mustbemad17 Fri 25-May-18 18:14:10

Sounds like us atm 🙈 we have three cars between us & parking sucks - we have a layby out front (live in flats) then four spaces out back that are public. Otherwise you chance it on the road. One of our cars barely moves atm so is parked on the road...the other two take up 2/3 spaces on the layby. DP moves his forward when i leave to do the school run so i can always get back in 🙈🙈

PersonAtHome Fri 25-May-18 18:23:21

Maybe I should buy a helicopter and keep it in the back garden!

Sounds like building my own drive might be the way to go... or just putting up with it.

Keep the opinions coming I'm curious to see if anyone comes along with a different view.

To me it seems selfish to park two cars there for weeks on end when you can see your neighbours are in and out with kids and heavy loads etc. I just wouldn't do it.

mustbemad17 Fri 25-May-18 18:25:06

I'm the only one with kids - plus only two of the flats have cars - so it doesn't bother me tbh! Public parking, if someone parked their car up for months on end cos they went on holiday you'd have no say in it.

ivykaty44 Fri 25-May-18 18:26:58

Put a garden shed on the space, add your parking permit- then park inside shed

Nothing technicals anyone can do especially if you put an engine inside the shed 😂

Applesandpears23 Fri 25-May-18 18:29:02

Get your neighbour who asked you to only park one car to ask your other neighbour to do the same. If they agree then great if not then you won’t be the bad one.

Aprilmightbemynewname Fri 25-May-18 18:29:07

Our neighbour owns a carpark that holds 8 cars down the side of her house but still takes up a space on the parking space side!!

ivykaty44 Fri 25-May-18 18:30:06

www.timeout.com/london/news/meet-the-londoner-who-turned-a-parking-space-into-a-public-garden-011718

cathcath2 Fri 25-May-18 18:32:03

Hi there,
Yes, I wouldn't leave 2 cars there for weeks at a time but there are plenty of people that would. In fact, we've got off-road parking (flats with not enough spaces for 1 car per flat) and we've had neighbours who have SORNed their cars (Statutory Off Road Notice). It can be annoying but sometimes there are reasons for it. By all means, try to negotiate but be prepared for disappointment.

Lollypop701 Fri 25-May-18 18:35:29

I would rope in the other neighbor and then ask them together... I have to be honest though, the neighbors with 2 cars are not stupid, so they might not care and could start nasty neighbors situation? I’d still ask though!

CD890 Fri 25-May-18 18:55:22

I'd get the other neighbour to ask the 2 car neighbours the same thing she asked you - you're out of the firing line then.
We have this issue where we live, permit lines down our stretch that end just before our house so we don't need a permit - our neighbours hate that and have in the past complained about our car being parked outside our house saying because there's no permit line we shouldn't be parking there! Also we live across from a school and the number of times me or DP have come back to find someone parked there waiting for their kid is ridiculous! My DP has a van he doesn't always use so when he leaves in the morning I move the van (from secure parking next to our house) to in front of our house to stop people parking there (including my neighbours daughter who also doesn't have a permit but visits her mother for hours on end every other day meaning she has to park at the other end of the street and walk back up).
We enjoy the fact we know we are winding them up! But hey, if they can park outside their home, why can't we! And so should you OP, you're entitled to a space just as much as they are so make sure you get one! Presumably three spaces were put in to accommodate three houses to it makes sense that you all be considerate and have one space each.

PersonAtHome Fri 25-May-18 19:05:35

Sadly I can't rope in the other neighbour to ask because she hates me :-(

I've had lovely relationships with neighbours / flat sharing friends etc all my life but I'm a bit unlucky in this house. Tricky neighbours both sides and also at the back as well.

ivykaty44 I love the idea of putting a shed there! I also love that green parking bay article.

RandomMess Fri 25-May-18 19:08:22

I would just create a drive tbh! You can opt for the most nature friendly layout as possible and just enough for one car.

It's sad they are so selfish but they aren't going to change!

origamiwarrior Fri 25-May-18 19:14:57

If you are concerned about environmental impact of changing your garden to a driveway, look into "grasscrete". For minimal impact you could have just two strips for the wheels.

PersonAtHome Fri 25-May-18 19:19:06

Ooo will google grasscrete thanks origami warrior!

AnnieAnoniMouser Fri 25-May-18 19:19:27

I would have had the request into the council for permission to drop the kerb the minute I owned the house.

Make the drive cost & eco friendly as you can, it’s money well spent.

In the meantime, as soon as you can, park your second car in a spot there and leave it there, then juggle them around if you go to the tip or whatever.

Mrs Asky Pants can go jump if she doesn’t like you anyway and the others don’t have. Leg to stand on

ScattyCharly Fri 25-May-18 19:26:12

Definitely get yourself some off street parking. It’s the only solution

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: