Talk

Advanced search

To ask what makes you feel at your happiest, most real "you"?

(184 Posts)
whereiscaroline Fri 25-May-18 16:22:58

During my younger years I had a really strong sense of self. Worked hard, dreams of climbing the corporate ladder, was happy in my job and lived for nights out at the weekend - getting "merry" and clubbing with friends.

Now I'm older, friends are settled, corporate world is horrendous and I feel a bit lost. I don't really know what makes me happy anymore so I'm hoping that IANBU to look to MN for some inspiration please grin

When do you feel properly happy, like you're being the real, true version of yourself?

AnnieAnoniMouser Fri 25-May-18 16:34:48

Riding a Steam Train with my head out the big window in the door, watching the steam and getting a face full of grit 😊

Leggings, t/shirt, trainers & a good cup of coffee.

Hot shower, leggings, t-shirt, glass of wine.

Growing seeds into vegetables

Snuggling with baby/toddler.

Camping in the back of beyond

...certainly not the daily grind & sodding swimming after school on Friday nights 😖

MatildaTheCat Fri 25-May-18 16:37:33

Fiddling around in my garden even though I can’t do any heavy work.

Walking in the park with my dog and friends and coffee.

Both of the above really ground me and help me cope with a chronic painful condition.

Silvertap Fri 25-May-18 16:38:25

Church
Nature
History
Reading

iloveruby Fri 25-May-18 16:38:31

Riding and looking after my horses
Walking and spending some with my dogs.
Being with my niece
Being outside in the countryside.

Love51 Fri 25-May-18 16:44:02

Swimming.
Playing with my kids.
As 2 discrete activities. Swimming with the kids makes me cold, and getting them dressed after makes me stressful.
I also quite like cooking for adults.

BikeRunSki Fri 25-May-18 16:48:31

It’s always been being outside. Walking in the hills, on the beach, riding my bike, that kind of thing. It needn’t even be that extreme. I just feel more real, most me outside in nature.

Kintan Fri 25-May-18 16:50:49

Agree with being in nature. Also love curling up with a good book somewhere with a nice view to stare out every now and then. And visiting historic sites fills me with happiness too!

RealityHasALiberalBias Fri 25-May-18 16:52:42

Chatting over a pint with friends in an old man's pub.

It rarely happens these days, for the same reasons you've identified OP. Everyone has "lives" now.

And pubs are mostly shit.

But on those rare occasions the planets align, old friends meet for a festering ale and the conversation flows as if carrying straight on from fifteen years ago... Bliss.

FelicitationsFacilitations Fri 25-May-18 16:53:20

Don't know i'm the same as yoyrself, i was very focussed and driven when younger but my dreams got crushed, i achieved what i wanted but it wasnt that great, and my marriage collapsed so i feel like ive fallen off my bike and im just sat in the dirt on the side of the road wondering who i really am now!?

donajimena Fri 25-May-18 16:54:00

Camping gives me inner peace. There is nothing that comes close to the feeling of being out in the middle of nowher.

Onesmallstepforaman Fri 25-May-18 16:54:20

Like you OP, I did climb the greasy pole and got quite high. Was pushed off at a very difficult time. I now have a couple of very low responsibility jobs, which pay the bills. I'm happier now than for a long time. I love the visceral thrills and freedom a motorbike gives me, the wonder of nature and generally being a better person.

ghosting Fri 25-May-18 16:55:02

Being near the sea
Being in nature and seeing beautiful things
Exercising, mainly running
When I am able to be creative (writing)
Horse riding
Snuggling with DC (but that’s me in my Mum role, not me in my “I am an individual” role, and for me they are two quite different things)

SheepyFun Fri 25-May-18 16:55:05

Riding my bike
Being at home on my own

Spot the introvert!

RedPandaMama Fri 25-May-18 16:55:44

I like wearing completely clashing colours, mad prints, blue and green eyeshadow, docs and rainbow nails.

For work I wear a navy suit, white shirt, red lipstick, nude heels and carry a grey handbag. I don't feel like myself but I do feel smart!

Work me = fancy, get-shit-done me. Home me = slobby, trashy, but more real me. grin

nickEcave Fri 25-May-18 16:57:09

Sitting round a campfire getting pissed with a group of people I've known for over 20 years.

Soyalatteforme Fri 25-May-18 16:57:40

I take pleasure from:

Playing board games with DC
A bracing walk followed by a roaring fire and some lovely food (and wine!) - that's a winter/autumn pursuit
Reading a book that makes me want to climb in and become part of the story. Rare but so delicious. I take about a month to finish such books as I can't bear them to end.
Going into my DC bedrooms when they're tucked up and seeing them sleep peacefully, knowing they are loved and safe.
Accomplishing a big project at work.
Working on our equality and diversity programme at work
Hard exercise, long shower, moisturise and into pjs for early night. Feel all healthy and alive.

Soyalatteforme Fri 25-May-18 16:59:09

These things make me feel me, some don't touch all parts of me, but each reaches a 'me' need.

Andromeida59 Fri 25-May-18 16:59:54

Walking (especially after being in such pain for ages)
Getting sweaty and disgusting at the gym
Baking
My home
Lying in a bubble bath in the daytime, watching/listening to the rain. Absolute bliss!
Also, having a cuddle with DP.
The thought of getting my life on track after injury and applying for an MA to start in September.

BonnieF Fri 25-May-18 17:00:21

Driving a hire car out of a major airport and heading out into a country which I will be spending the next fortnight exploring.

It’s California & the west coast this year. Can’t wait smile

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Fri 25-May-18 17:03:34

Walks in nature (preferably a forest, and alone)
Crafting, creating beautiful things
Playing with the dc, being as silly as possible
Child free time with dh (rare)
Reading
Pulling off a big achievement in work

bringincrazyback Fri 25-May-18 17:04:12

Spending time alone. It sometimes feels like that's the only time I haven't got people trying to change who I am and how I go about my life.

OnlyTheDepthVaries Fri 25-May-18 17:04:45

Walking along the river in the early morning with my dog.. spotting kingfisher, otters, all things natural.
Chatting in the phone to my lovely aunt.
Family dinners with DH and DS x2 (when they manage to stop grunting and be nice)
Owls hooting at night. Birdsong in the morning.
Work ruins it all!

QueenOfMyWorld Fri 25-May-18 17:06:58

Two very different things
1.snuggling with my dh/ds
2.Getting dressed up and drinking with my friends

tobee Fri 25-May-18 17:07:54

1 out for a meal in central London
2 a week on a canal boat

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: