Talk

Advanced search

To think you're not poor...

(336 Posts)
RunningjustasfastasIcan99 Fri 25-May-18 16:03:02

AIBU to think you're not poor if you can afford SKY TV? Felt a bit irritated that on "rich house poor house" this week the "poor" family had massive Tv's in the kids bedrooms and sky tv. I know they didn't have a ton of money and were in the bottom 10 %. But really?

PlowerOfScotland Fri 25-May-18 16:09:35

Bastards, having something nice. Pure cunts some people. Hoop and stick is more than enough.

lastnightidreamtofpotatoes Fri 25-May-18 16:10:19

The bit that got me was that they had several games consoles but then said as they couldn't afford a laptop their dc couldn't do homework hmm. I'm in the bottom 10% but try to prioritise the essentials. I know lots of people who are in similar financial circumstances but buy stupid stuff and then cry poverty and that they can't afford essentials for their dc. It is as if it is a poverty competition, very sad.

FissionChips Fri 25-May-18 16:10:59

biscuit did they have a goat too?

LaurieFairyCake Fri 25-May-18 16:11:18

You’re very wrong. £50 to entertain an entire family for a month?

They can’t afford to eat out, go to soft play, theatre, cinema.... list is endless

I don’t have sky because I CAN afford the above and I’m not trapped at home.

crayoladreamz Fri 25-May-18 16:12:03

@plowerofscotland you’re missing the point. No one is saying you can’t have nice things but I agree, it does kind of by definition mean that you’re not really poor.

You might not be the richest but sky tv and TVs in the kids room definitely suggests money left at the end of the month to be spent on that instead of needed for food.

WittyJack Fri 25-May-18 16:12:09

1/10. Much goading. Many biscuits.

x2boys Fri 25-May-18 16:12:21

I have sky tv its £35 /month for tv , internet and phone line how much do you think sky tv is?

JenBarber Fri 25-May-18 16:12:38

It's a TV show. I doubt it's real.

They're told to say mad shit. Like on Secret Eaters when they pretend they thought a massive curry, bombay potatoes and a naan is a low calorie lunch.

lastnightidreamtofpotatoes Fri 25-May-18 16:13:03

Plower no one is saying that those with little money cannot have nice stuff. However, having huge tv's in every room, SKY and several games consoles is very bad financial expenditure when you are claiming that you don't have enough to live on.

PlowerOfScotland Fri 25-May-18 16:13:30

£35-50 to entertain a whole family. Up there with caviar isn't it.

Noqont Fri 25-May-18 16:13:48

I don’t have sky because I CAN afford the above and I’m not trapped at home

Same.

lastnightidreamtofpotatoes Fri 25-May-18 16:14:11

No goat, but a lizard and possibly a few dogs.

Laston Fri 25-May-18 16:14:18

I don't know why these people can't just kick a can for entertainment instead biscuit

BabiesDontNeedDaddies Fri 25-May-18 16:14:29

Sky could very easily be their cheapest internet provider and the TV could be second hand or even a gift

Grumpyoldblonde Fri 25-May-18 16:15:21

Might be worth mentioning that the lady had to give up work. Some of the stuff was probably bought in more flush times

PlowerOfScotland Fri 25-May-18 16:15:53

My eldest has his own flatscreen tv. My mam bought him it. We have consoles, second hand years after they came out. My food budget is £50 a week for 4 people, shall i sell the bairns Christmas presents to up the budget by £20 a week for a month or two?

gamerchick Fri 25-May-18 16:16:03

Cheap entertainment init? Not everyone can afford to go places and whatnot and sky is quite cheap. Catalogues and brighthouse/buy as you view and all that shit provide stuff for pay per week. Sometimes I think people think the less well off should just stare at walls while practising their grovelling.

Why does anyone even watch this shit, was it supposed to make you feel superior in a oogle the poor kind of way?

LifeBeginsAtGin Fri 25-May-18 16:16:08

There's a certain element of MNers who don't believe in these Channel 5 documentaries and that these sorts of families don't exist..hello where are these MNer's

LakieLady Fri 25-May-18 16:16:20

The tv's could have been gifts from members of the extended family, but I agree about Sky.

I get rather tired of coaching people in budgetting, and finding out that they're forking out £72 a month (sometimes more) for Sky.

You can get broadband from Plusnet for around £20 a month.

Whatshallidonowpeople Fri 25-May-18 16:16:35

Why can't they entertain themselves?

whatareyoueatingNOW Fri 25-May-18 16:17:20

I'm in bottom 10% and have TVs, beautiful expensive carpets, and expensive home furnishings- because I haven't ALWAYS been on the breadline. I bought this stuff before I got made redundant. I've sold a lot when desperate, and I could sell the tv but tbh without it what would we do if an evening/weekend?

Onesmallstepforaman Fri 25-May-18 16:17:42

I don't have sky because I hate the thought of Rupert getting even a sniff of my money. (Misses point completely)

grasspigeons Fri 25-May-18 16:18:20

I don't know how much sky is?

I don't have sky but we do have the free channels, broadband and netflix. For all I know that costs more than Sky.

gamerchick Fri 25-May-18 16:18:26

Why can't they entertain themselves

By baby making? wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: