Talk

Advanced search

To not understand how some can believe the earth is flat?

(211 Posts)
crunchymint Fri 25-May-18 14:02:28

I have a friend who seems intelligent, well read and is lovely. And yet she believes the earth is flat. She shares on social media posts "explaining" this fact.
How can someone like this possibly believe this? I really don't understand.

melodybirds Fri 25-May-18 14:07:27

I want to know her explanations?!

Maybe she's trying to use it as debate technique.

crunchymint Fri 25-May-18 14:09:54

No she believes it. She talks about things like plains where you can see for kilometres into the distance, which wouldn't be possible if the earth was round.

PumpkinPie2016 Fri 25-May-18 14:11:11

Surely nobody is that stupid?!hmm

yerbutnobut Fri 25-May-18 14:12:52

Where does she think the sun and moon go?

A4710Rider Fri 25-May-18 14:14:19

I think the whole Flat Earth thing is great fun to be honest.

It drives them nuts, for example, that the emblem for the UN is actually a "flat earth"

ourkidmolly Fri 25-May-18 14:14:27

She's clearly not intelligent so that part of your op is wrong.

Mirrorwriting Fri 25-May-18 14:15:45

I’ve read about the psychology of conspiracy theorists. Apparently often the feel powerless in real life. To feel like one ‘knows a secret’ or is in possession of some secret knowledge is to feel powerful. Imagine if you travelled back to 1800 how ‘woke’ you would feel knowing about dna, and that cats can’t suck babies breath out etc. That’s how ‘special’ the conspiracy makes them feel. To challenge their ‘facts’ is to challenge their specialness.

crunchymint Fri 25-May-18 14:16:29

The thing is she does seem intelligent, apart from that one thing.
The flat earth society at my university was a drinking club and freely admitted the idea was bollocks. I had never actually met anyone who believed it before.

Rufustheyawningreindeer Fri 25-May-18 14:17:09

It cheered ds2 up no end when he read about a group of flatearthers...

With members all over the globe grin

crunchymint Fri 25-May-18 14:17:38

Mirror That is interesting. She is a black woman who is poor and has experienced a lot of racism. Maybe it is meeting a psychological need.

A4710Rider Fri 25-May-18 14:18:15

Another one I like is the fact that there are no direct flight routes with Africa and South America or South America and Australia. Why would that be?

The answer is obvious but the Flat Earthers really get their teeth into that one.

A4710Rider Fri 25-May-18 14:19:49

I’ve read about the psychology of conspiracy theorists. Apparently often the feel powerless in real life. To feel like one ‘knows a secret’ or is in possession of some secret knowledge is to feel powerful

Maybe, but there are some highly successful people who don't believe we landed on the moon. So it kind of debunks that.

crunchymint Fri 25-May-18 14:21:17

A471 She has said that as well. I just avoid the subject now.

Merryoldgoat Fri 25-May-18 14:21:52

She cannot be that intelligent if she thinks The Earth is flat.

SuperSange Fri 25-May-18 14:22:04

But what about actual pictures of the Earth from space? What about gravitational theory, which depends in part on a spinning sphere? Or are we a spinning flat thing?

glitterelf Fri 25-May-18 14:24:03

There's a long running thread on the other site with 2 crazy ladies spouting rubbish and the answers so far are very amusing grin

MooseBeTimeForSpring Fri 25-May-18 14:25:10

But if we were a spinning flat thing everything would end up at the edge.

And then cats would push it off.

A4710Rider Fri 25-May-18 14:25:21

Let's be honest, there's a lot of strange things about Landing on the Moon, a lot of strange things about 9/11 and Flat Earthers do provide some "evidence" for their claims that does make you think.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to respect Conspiracy Theorists positions without mocking them.

HerFemaleness Fri 25-May-18 14:26:02

It's flat carried on the backs of 4 elephants who are standing on the back of a giant turtle. I thought everyone knew that?

A4710Rider Fri 25-May-18 14:26:18

But what about actual pictures of the Earth from space

Believe it or not, there aren't any. They use the same one from the 1970's

Have a look for yourself.

StarUtopia Fri 25-May-18 14:26:52

I would imagine flat earthers think you're bonkers!!!

I'm definitely of the opinion that we are not round...maybe more of a squashed rugby ball!

The fact that NASA alters (and admits that it does) every photo that is ever published of Earth is enough for me to think there is something amiss...

A4710Rider Fri 25-May-18 14:29:24

The fact that NASA alters (and admits that it does) every photo that is ever published of Earth is enough for me to think there is something amiss

Got to admit, when I researched (spent 10 minutes) looking for pictures of the earth from Space I was a bit surprised.

Just like I was surprised when NASA said is "accidentally" taped over the only recording of the moon landings.

A4710Rider Fri 25-May-18 14:29:58

it "accidentally"

Mirrorwriting Fri 25-May-18 14:31:35

Maybe, but there are some highly successful people who don't believe we landed on the moon. So it kind of debunks that.

Being successful in one area doesn’t mean you can’t feel powerless. Maybe an overbearing MIL, boss, bratty children, colicky baby, frightened in a car crash, death of a loved one, the list is endless. I’m sure the queen and big city bosses feel powerless sometimes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: