Talk

Advanced search

Ring stuck on finger!

(156 Posts)
turtletime Thu 24-May-18 22:33:55

Earlier this evening I was a fool and rammed on my sister's gorgeous new ring on my middle finger. 5 hours later it is well and truly stuck! We've tried every conceivable method, which has only shredded my finger (do not recommend the dental floss technique) and made my finger swell to about 4 times its natural size. I really want to avoid going to A&E due to embarrassment and inconvenience. AIBU to ask for any methods I may have overlooked.

Eliza9917 Thu 24-May-18 22:37:34

Have you put an ice pack on your hand or run it under freezing water?
Butter?
Get it off with your mouth?

nervousseacreature Thu 24-May-18 22:37:35

Immerse your hand in cold water? Use some lube?
The dental floss thing looks like magic when you see it online!

OhDearMavis Thu 24-May-18 22:38:23

Cold? Wrap ice in a plastic bag in a towel (to avoid ice burns) and apply to finger. The cold makes the vessels smaller. Then lots of lube. The sex kind, normal oil etc isn't as good wink

JeNeBaguetteRien Thu 24-May-18 22:38:40

If you said what some of the "every conceivable methods" are we'll know what you've already tried.
Maybe olive oil or washing up liquid will budge it? Put your hand in cold water fit a little while first to bring swelling down.

If your finger is really dangerously squished then do go to A&E.

Does your sister know?

LaurieFairyCake Thu 24-May-18 22:39:23

You need to cool your hand down a lot - start with running under cold tap for a while as ice pack might be too cold.

I’m sure you’ve tried slathering with butter?

taratill Thu 24-May-18 22:39:23

butter or oil or lube. leave it for a while to let the swelling go down.

PretendNothing Thu 24-May-18 22:40:21

Submerge your hand in olive oil? Not entirely sure it will work, TBH, but last week I separated two glasses which had been stuck one inside the other for days using olive oil...

Houseworkavoider Thu 24-May-18 22:42:09

There is a trick involving dental floss..
You wrap it, spiral like around your finger and slip the ring off.
I’ll try to find a video

Houseworkavoider Thu 24-May-18 22:43:38

youtu.be/CSq_7e6DJMg

turtletime Thu 24-May-18 22:46:09

So far we've tried: butter, lube, oil, fairy liquid and submerging my hand in a bowl of ice cubes

My sister is fuming, there is a design on the band and it is likely to be ruined if the ring needs to be cut off. I feel terrible

Rocinante1 Thu 24-May-18 22:47:23

Apply ice pack and hold your hand above your head for 15 minutes or so to help reduce the swelling.

You can use ribbon instead of dental floss - it's a bit gentler and might not agree your finger.

turtletime Thu 24-May-18 22:47:49

Thanks Houseworkavoider we watched the video earlier. My finger is far too cut up/swollen to try that method now

Rocinante1 Thu 24-May-18 22:48:16

*shred your finger

nervousseacreature Thu 24-May-18 22:48:19

Can you wait and try again tomorrow? Your hand is probably really swollen from all that. Maybe give it a break tonight?

Fintress Thu 24-May-18 22:49:27

The one above with the dental floss works a treat. Someone I know had to go to A&E with a broken hand, her ring was practically embedded in her finger due to the swelling. Medics were going to try to cut it off but the A&E consultant stepped in with a bit of thread and it was off in seconds.

MrsMarigold Thu 24-May-18 22:50:29

I know you've tried the fairy liquid method but I always find that best in very cold water. Good luck

Houseworkavoider Thu 24-May-18 22:51:04

Ah
I really wanted to the thread hero!
Rocinante1 might well be on to something though

BeckettsandChapel Thu 24-May-18 22:53:17

You need piles cream it will reduce the swelling of your finger and you’ll be able to get the ring off

MumsKnitters Thu 24-May-18 22:55:50

Do nothing more this evening. Your finger will be thinnest first thing in the morning. Plunge it in cold water tomorrow and then try oil or soap on your hand and it'll probably come off.

Heratnumber7 Thu 24-May-18 23:00:38

Hold your arm up above your head, so it's harder for the heart to pump blood up, and shake it for a bit - centrifugal force and all that. Do that in the morning when your hands tend to be less swollen anyway.

MyKingdomForBrie Thu 24-May-18 23:04:35

Yeah you need to leave it for now if at all possible, keep it cool and elevated and if it continues to swell call 111. In the morning try the greasiest moisturiser you have but try very very gentle wriggling motions, not tugging or twisting.

Squeeless Thu 24-May-18 23:06:17

This is close to the bone as it happened to me recently. I was advised to go to A&E when I called nhs24 even though I desperately wanted to wait until morning to get them cut off from a jeweller - at that point it was obvious that was the only option as like you I'd tried loads, iced, tried the string torture method but to no avail.

I cried in A&E because I felt like a time wasting idiot as it was self inflicted, I'd forced them on too but they couldn't have been nicer and told me it was absolutely the right thing.

The lovely nurse told me it was better to get rings cut than lose a finger which is true!!!

As an aside you wouldn't know my rings had been cut and considering one was full band diamond eternity ring that look butchered so don't think there is no chance for repair.

Also don't be too hard on yourself we all do daft things you didn't do it on purpose!

AndInOtherNews Thu 24-May-18 23:07:12

Crikey I hope you get it off. Agree there's nothing else you can try tonight..try again in the morning.

MissMarplesKnitting Thu 24-May-18 23:08:50

Pile cream. Works amazingly well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: