Talk

Advanced search

Fat and fabulous

(309 Posts)
highchairhell Thu 24-May-18 18:17:53

So I am fat. I like food too much to lose weight and after spending years of my life worrying about my waistline, I've had enough.

I want to look good this summer and see fabulous fat women all the time ... what is the secret to looking fat and fabulous?! Aibu to think that you can still look brilliant at 18 stone?! I just want fashion tips please, not judgement or weight loss advice! Thanks

AmazingPostVoices Thu 24-May-18 18:20:30

A confident smile is the key to looking fabulous regardless of size, beauty or anything else.

PomBearWithoutHerOFRS Thu 24-May-18 18:24:04

You need the "Google-fu" grin
I am a size 28ish and get lovely bright clothes online. Some of my favourite sites are Gamiss.com, newchic.com, and dresslily.com.
You have to really rootle about and use different search terms, and be prepared to spend time looking through loads of pages, but they have some really great stuff at low prices. The only thing is, it can take some time to arrive, anything between two and six weeks is the average I've found. They do shoes and accessories, and jewellery too.
Happy Shopping! grin

ScreamingValenta Thu 24-May-18 18:27:16

Wear clothes that are fitted, but not tight, to accentuate your curves rather than going for tent-like stuff. Find colours that suit you and co-ordinate your look - or clash interestingly.

DontDribbleOnTheCarpet Thu 24-May-18 18:31:55

Once you let go of the idea that the only way to look good is to look thin, it is very liberating. Instead of thinking about what you look like to others, you can think about what you like. I care more about textures than fashion, so I choose lots of fabrics with a soft or velvety finish. I make most of my own clothes from patterns I make myself so I couldn't even tell you what size I am, because it doesn't matter.

OutsideContextProblem Thu 24-May-18 18:34:04

I have a fat and fabulous mate and she achieves her look by always taking a great deal of care with hair and makeup. I’d start there.

GorgonLondon Thu 24-May-18 18:39:33

Yabu

BusterGonad Thu 24-May-18 18:40:21

I'm not your size so sorry if my input is irrelevant, but I always think larger ladies look wonderful when they don't care and wear fashionable clothes, wear gorgeous make up, do their nails. There is nothing worse (imo) then larger ladies who give up and just hide away in over size tshirt and jeans. Everyone should be proud of who that are and everyone deserves to look and feel beautiful.

OhDearMavis Thu 24-May-18 18:41:40

YANBU OP.
gorgon in what way is the OP being unreasonable? She has come to a sensible conclusion and asked for advice

Laska5772 Thu 24-May-18 18:42:04

OP I would get this tread moved over to Style and Beauty . You'll get some good fashion advice there..

HemanOrSheRa Thu 24-May-18 18:43:53

I agree with Laska. Ask for this to be moved. I say this as a short fatso grin.

GorgonLondon Thu 24-May-18 18:44:49

Mavis I was answering her question "Aibu to think that you can still look brilliant at 18 stone?!"

If she has 'come to a conclusion' why is she asking for opinions?

Tiddlywinks63 Thu 24-May-18 18:45:45

I think getting properly fitting underwear is one key element another is a good hair cut as well as wearing discreet makeup. Add a great smile, hold your head up high and strut your stuff!

ChorleyFMcominginyourears Thu 24-May-18 18:48:00

I'm a size 22 and I love boohoo and pretty little things plus size range, they are fab, fashionable and great prices! I'm the same now I'm sick of being miserable about my weight. I exercise plenty when I'm not at work so I decided to own it and I've never looked back!

SaucyJack Thu 24-May-18 18:49:33

Don't wear entire outfits made of thin, clingy cotton.

My most flattering clothes are velvet, or have a chiffony overlay.

bridgetreilly Thu 24-May-18 18:54:23

YANBU! You can totally be fat and fabulous.

However, your body and your colouring and your personality make it difficult to give much specific advice about how exactly to do this. The main thing is to find the clothes YOU like and then work out how to wear them in ways that make YOU feel fabulous.

Like, my basic style is Boden on a budget, so I look for things in cottons and linen and bright colours and fun patterns. And I stick to the shapes that work for me - knee length straight or A-line skirts, jersey dress with under-bust shaping, straight or slightly bootcut jeans etc.

Once you're wearing clothes you love, you'll feel more confident and automatically look more fabulous.

At 18 stone I was about a size 22-24. I found a lot of good stuff in Sainsburys. I also stalked eBay. These days Seasalt go up to size 26. Next does an online plus-size range. Good luck and feel fabulous!

bridgetreilly Thu 24-May-18 18:55:26

Also, contra. pp, I never bother at all about hair and make up. I occasionally wear jewellery. Mostly, it's all about the clothes for me.

OhDearMavis Thu 24-May-18 19:04:48

Gorgon of course you can look fabulous at 18 stone. What a narrow minded horrible view to think you can't!

WittyJack Thu 24-May-18 19:17:50

Scarlett & Jo have nice things. You can also improve most outfits by finding a cheap tailor to alter them a bit, as many plus size outfits don't take into account the fact that you might have slim legs or a smaller waist.

GreatDuckCookery Thu 24-May-18 19:20:52

Yanbu.

Great haircut
Eyebrows waxed
Pedicure
Nice clothes
Confidence
Big smile
grin

CaptainCabinets Thu 24-May-18 19:31:49

I’m short and fat and I look terrible so I’m actively trying to lose weight.

You might feel great but our bodies are not designed to be obese.

highchairhell Thu 24-May-18 19:32:30

Thank you all! I'm pale and freckly but think I've got great tits and an alright face! My hair is a bit limp and fine so I tend to throw it in a bun or pony most days

I'm a 20/22 size wise and just can't be fucked feeling shit anymore and missing out on stuff because I think I'm too big. Life is too short

ScreamingValenta Thu 24-May-18 19:34:28

How would you define your ideal look, OP? E.g. smart, boho, quirky, cute?

MyNameIsNotSteven Thu 24-May-18 19:38:08

I am size 16-18 and always look like shit. I don't know what to do about it really. I'm crap at hair and not much better at make up. I'm just not a stylish person.

highchairhell Thu 24-May-18 19:41:21

I want to look voluptuous and sexy but also effortless and a bit quirky if that's even possible. Small children so lovely dresses and skirts are out

I live in baggy tops and jeans at the moment and feel like I'm making no effort even though I try hard!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: