Talk

Advanced search

To want a big green egg?

(13 Posts)
Luxembourgmama Thu 24-May-18 13:02:17

My husband nearly passed out when i told him how much they are but i think they seem amazing. I could roast chickens and make pizza and smoke my own pork belly. Does anyone have one? Are they worth it?

DiddimusStench Thu 24-May-18 13:05:56

YANBU I want one too. I will never ever have enough disposable cash to spend On one though!

SneakyGremlins Thu 24-May-18 13:09:23

want any ham with it What's a green egg?

ThinkingQueSeraSera Thu 24-May-18 13:11:17

I have one. Worth every penny.

Poloshot Thu 24-May-18 13:12:59

I'd love one they always look great

steff13 Thu 24-May-18 13:14:26

Our grill is getting kind of old, and I have been looking at them as a replacement. They do so much more than a grill. I think it would be worth the money.

Luxembourgmama Thu 24-May-18 13:14:51

@sneakyGremlins its my dream bbq/smoker/best friend: www.nytimes.com/2011/07/13/dining/the-cult-of-the-big-green-egg-united-tastes.html

I do cook alot and we're moving house into a building site and won't have a kitchen for 2-3 months.

myrtleWilson Thu 24-May-18 13:16:31

We've got a standard Weber kettle and a Weber Smokey Mountain - the latter is a revelation! I do like the look of the green egg but I read it has a tendency for blowback so I was bit anxious about them...

Cacofonix Thu 24-May-18 13:28:36

We have one. I never touch it as it is DH's baby. Yes he does pulled pork, pork belly, chickens, ribs, 24 hour beef, reverse sear steak etc etc etc. He bloody loves it. It is expensive but worth it I think.

IMissGin Thu 24-May-18 13:33:29

I want one too!!! You lot aren’t helping...

BluthsFrozenBananas Thu 24-May-18 13:36:41

My dad has one, it’s the perfect toy for him as he loves nothing more than spending the day cooking and they’re not exactly fast. The food that comes out of it is amazing, slow cooked smoked rib of beef that’s still pink in the middle is one of his green egg specialities.

They’re not for people who just want to do the odd barbecue in good weather, but if you’re really into cooking, especially meat, and have a strong enough load bearing surface (seriously, they weigh a ton) and can afford it I’d say get one.

EspressoButler Thu 24-May-18 16:52:29

Just saw this one in Dyas and thought of this thread. It’s not a big green egg but very similar. And cheaper too. 15% off everything instore vouchers artfully placed on the wooden sides too. And it had an integrated umbrella holder, like a buggy parasol but much cooler. It did look tempting...

Maelstrop Thu 24-May-18 16:59:10

We have one. Much used. Worth it, I’d say, just do your research. We saw some last week for £1400, replicas, Chinese imports, not as good as the real thing. Cheeky asking that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: