Talk

Advanced search

To be scared of my car's MOT

(25 Posts)
TassleGirl Thu 24-May-18 08:18:12

I have had this car for almost 3 years. It's my first car, a Mini and I love it. It's old though (2005) and the mot is due. I have it booked in for tomorrow and I'm 💩 myself if anything needs doing. How do I get over it? Every time honestly when a service or MOT is due I get so anxious. I'm so upset with myself just need to get over it and suck it up if money needed to be spend on fixing things- I know this ! Yet I still get so nervous and worried and finding it hard to keep calm.

I do feel the same about different areas in my life too. Just an over anxious person I must be (if that's even a word)

reddington Thu 24-May-18 08:34:43

Maybe get a car with a reputation for reliability like a Nissan Micra? Might give you peace of mind.

Shmithecat Thu 24-May-18 08:42:55

I get like this. Transferred extra money over from savings etc. Booked it in. Waited and hour. Mechanic came out with a face like a smacked arse. Then told me it had passed with no advisories grin

TassleGirl Thu 24-May-18 08:49:08

@reddington good joke with the Micra 😂

@Shmitecat I do the same! Its so funny, I passed the 2 mots I had before with this car although I had couple advisory bits I had sorted eventually. It'll be fine I know... I just wish I wasn't so worried about stuff I can't control anyhow so what's the point?!

ChasedByBees Thu 24-May-18 08:53:16

It sounds like anxiety maybe? I have that and find myself worrying about things I can’t control pointlessly.

LifeBeginsAtGin Thu 24-May-18 08:58:47

Actually reddington has a good point. I've got a Micra and it's the best car I've ever had. Over Christmas both out other cars had flat batteries but the Micra just started up and was off.

It's not the best looking car granted but for reliability and good running costs you can't go wrong.

Sadly MOT's are part of the cost of having a car and unless you are the tosser driving around my town without a bonnet then you have to comply.

TassleGirl Thu 24-May-18 09:12:51

I'm sure a Micra is a great car but I don't think it's all about the make when it comes down to services and MOT. Btw I didn't say my car was unreliable. Its been a great run since I bought it! I'm well chuffed if you enjoy your Micra.

The post meant to be about me and getting nervous/worried/anxious etc when I have to do an MOT on my car - brought this as an example as it's happening soon but I do feel the same in nervousness in other life scenarios and I'm not sure how to keep it under control.

MrsPatmore Thu 24-May-18 09:18:05

Perhaps get an appt to see your GP to be referred for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). You can pay for it privately too. It's meant to be very effective at controlling anxiety.

avidenjoyer Thu 24-May-18 09:19:07

Is it not having enough money to sort out problems that makes you anxious? If so then having savings would be sensible.
Having a reliable make of car, having regular services and making sure you get your tyres checked will prevent major problems arising from your MOT.

TassleGirl Thu 24-May-18 09:33:22

It's not the money. I mean of course I preferred if all is good and don't have to spend money on works but it is what it is. I have been looking after the car, all you mentioned, the tyres etc. It is more about me than the car. It's this feeling and overthinking and I just want to stop and chill the fuck out and I can't

Shmithecat Thu 24-May-18 11:57:43

TassleGirl exactly. It's not about the money. And I'm not an anxious person in any other respect. I've always been the same with my cars. And I do maintain them properly! Always serviced on schedule etc etc. It's the element of not knowing. No need for CBT hmm

avidenjoyer Thu 24-May-18 12:00:02

Perhaps you should ask this post 'how do I manage my anxiety better' or you will get a lot of advice about cars .

thecatsthecats Thu 24-May-18 12:05:45

I got a call after my car was due its MOT in the afternoon telling me it had passed. Nipped around to see it as the garage is next door, and joked to my boss that it couldn't be my car they were talking about - it wasn't! They called the wrong person.

THEN I was bricking it. But lo and behold, my now 14 year old Citroen passed all clear for the second time in a row.

Pompom42 Thu 24-May-18 12:06:32

I'm the same and my car 9 times out of 10 always passes.
I think it's because I rely on it and I worry about spending excessive amounts on an old car. My MOT used to be in May always right before a holiday but now it's in October as changed cars. It's a bit less stressful.
I heard the MOT test is getting tougher couple days ago and they will be grading cars with Minor, Major and Advisory or similar

specialsubject Thu 24-May-18 12:07:57

sounds like more than a car...

but do check the obvious. Many thickos get Mot fails because they haven't checked lights, wipers, are too idle to check tyre pressures and tread, fill up screen wash and all the other simple things.

Raven88 Thu 24-May-18 12:09:34

Every MOT I dread the bill because we buy second hand cars. My DH fixes his cars so he can usually do it himself for a third of the price.

recklessruby Thu 24-May-18 12:10:51

No not unreasonable at all. I get like a first time parent with a baby in hospital. I pace up and down and snatch my phone up when the garage calls as if a kidnapper is on the line with my child in his hands.
I have a 2010 Peugeot and last year was expensive as the exhaust was damaged by our rotten roads.
Fingers crossed for November. Bloody MOT due just before xmas

Sirzy Thu 24-May-18 12:17:47

I think it’s quite normal because it is a case of the unknown and you know it could be an expensive issue.

Mine was done last week and other than the brakes which I knew needed doing (and actually they would have only been classed as an advisory but I had them done anyway) passed but I was still worried what would come up

reddington Thu 24-May-18 13:25:57

I was being deadly serious. If you know you have a car reknowned for its reliability then maybe you worry less?

TassleGirl Thu 24-May-18 14:10:54

@ reddington I have to ask now cause it seems like you can't get over it why do you think a mini is not realible ? You had one before that had loads of issues? When I worked in child care I had many nanny cars amongst Hondas/Ford/Nissan/BMW. I liked the Honda and the BMW best the rest was crap although saying that I wasn't in charge to take care of the cars so I have no idea how they were serviced etc.

I bought a Mini because my boyfriend recommended it. It's got all BMW parts and been a great little car. My partner works in the motorsport industry and I trust he know what he's chatting about so I leave it with that.

cestlavielife Thu 24-May-18 14:15:14

What s the worst that coukd happen?
It fails and costs money.

You pay up or selk/scrap it.

CBT can help you address the anxiety

Enb76 Thu 24-May-18 14:22:27

Ha - I get this too. Like you're going to fail an exam you didn't revise for.

My car is 18 years old, I know that each MOT will cost me some money but not as much as a new car! I find the feeling was worse with a relatively new car.

I don't think you need CBT, counselling, or a bloody Micra - it's a perfectly normal thing, loads of my friends have it. I think it's akin to the guilty feeling when you walk past a policemen even though you know you've done nothing wrong.

Enb76 Thu 24-May-18 14:23:31

BTW my mother has had her Mini since 2004 - it's still going and perfectly reliable.

TassleGirl Fri 25-May-18 17:27:15

Car passed MOT one advisory. The guy said it's not even urgent to get it sorted just break pipes very slightly corroded.

Quite proud of myself as well as after posting this thread yesterday I research a couple of 'exercises' to control anxiety and I managed to stay reasonably calm today smile

Jael003 Fri 25-May-18 17:56:29

Ignoring the car bit, maybe look at hypnotherapy to deal with your anxiety issues? I believe CBT can help too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: