Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why both Duchesses are so thin?

(784 Posts)
PleaseDontHate Wed 23-May-18 20:59:37

Talking about both the Duchess of Cambridge and the Duchess of Sussex. And ok, I know IABU, but I thought I'd namechange and put it out there to see if other posters agreed. Putting my tin hat on, as I know I'll get lots of criticism for my gossipy thread. Oh well!

Both Catherine and Meghan are beautiful women with naturally lovely figures. But they are both so so extremely thin! Right now Kate is less thin, I assume because of her recent pregnancy and new baby, but no doubt she'll bounce back to her usual skinniness soon.

Kate was nowhere this thin before getting engaged and married into the RF. Meghan has always been very slim, but is now thinner than ever and I bet she won't gain the weight back. I remember even Diana lost loads of weight as soon as she got engaged and married! And she stayed very thin from then onwards.

Why does it seem like extreme thinness is a prerequisite to be a royal wife?

PurpleDaisies Wed 23-May-18 21:01:22

If you knew you’d be photographed every second of your life, and had access to personal chef and trainers, wouldn’t you be thin too?

jetsetter87 Wed 23-May-18 21:02:27

I think is probably knowing that everything you wear will be scrutinised

An oz of excess fat and they will be shamed so better to be too thin?

Also to fit into the designer gowns?

Palavra Wed 23-May-18 21:02:37

They appear to be a normal weight?? I wouldn’t say particularly thin, slim yes but in no way abnormally or unhealthily so

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Wed 23-May-18 21:02:41

Having access to the best ingredients/time to exercise/ being under constant scrutiny... I think we would all be skinny under those circumstances

formerbabe Wed 23-May-18 21:03:23

The camera adds ten pounds.

Photographed all the time.

Easier to wear clothes and look good in them

Easier to be thin when you're rich too.

Sprinklesinmyelbow Wed 23-May-18 21:03:30

I though Megan had filled out a bit- in suits she was extremely thin, she’s an actress though, it’s part of her job to be very thin.

Kate appears to just prefer it. They both look great

Pengggwn Wed 23-May-18 21:03:35

Do we have to continue with the scrutinising of female bodies? Can't we choose not to do it? Who cares whether they are thin?

gobbynorthernbird Wed 23-May-18 21:03:36

Did you miss when Sarah Ferguson got the absolute piss ripped out of her for not being tiny? Because that was vile and something I wouldn't want to put up with.

TheNoseyProject Wed 23-May-18 21:03:47

I think being in the public eye and being surrounded by other people in the public eye makes you a) very conscious of your looks, and b) it recalibrates your idea of what a normal weight is as everyone around you is so extremely thin.

LooseyInTheSky Wed 23-May-18 21:03:57

Because the entire globe is looking at them. I'd be minuscule.

x2boys Wed 23-May-18 21:04:31

because if they dare to put on any weight the press will come down on them like a ton of bricks Sarah Ferguson Duchess of Pork etc.

Sprinklesinmyelbow Wed 23-May-18 21:04:39

Of course they’re not palavra, c’mon. Don’t start all this we’ve forgotten what a normal
Weight looks like nonsense

upsideup Wed 23-May-18 21:05:09

They both look like healthy normal sized women, they are probably living a very healthy life style being royal.

Fruitcorner123 Wed 23-May-18 21:06:34

palavra i dont think the OP is saying they are unhealthy just that they've lost weight since becoming attached to the royal family.

If the media scrutinised everything you wore and how you looked all the time I think you would feel under excessive pressure to look model thin. Anything above that would be criticised by some and the press would be looking for that shot of cellulite or a bum looking big in something. I would be obsessed with my weight and size in those circumstances.

Sprinklesinmyelbow Wed 23-May-18 21:06:36

Thin-

FASH84 Wed 23-May-18 21:07:01

PurpleDaisies

If you knew you’d be photographed every second of your life, and had access to personal chef and trainers, wouldn’t you be thin too?

^this except they would need to keep me away from cheese....

user1499173618 Wed 23-May-18 21:07:45

I think that if you marry into the RF in this day and age of celebrities being constantly in the media and scrutinised, then you probably are up for looking as media-appropriate as possible. For a Duchess in the RF, that means thin, toned, coiffed, groomed etc. They are both just meeting the expectations of the job.

yerbutnobut Wed 23-May-18 21:08:01

Really wouldn't say they were extremely thin as you put it.
Please, please stop judging/pedalling ideas about their weight, it does not affect you, is none of your business and nobody owes you an explanation.

TheFallenMadonna Wed 23-May-18 21:09:30

Somebody on MN referred to Eugenie as "a fat Jackie Kennedy" on Saturday. People are pretty mean.

HollowTalk Wed 23-May-18 21:09:32

I thought that Meghan's wedding dress didn't fit her properly and assumed it was because of the hostile press coverage - I think most women would either eat too much or hardly eat at all in response to that.

slippynips Wed 23-May-18 21:09:49

Probably because they know people all over the world are judging them and discussing their figures... hmm

TheFifthKey Wed 23-May-18 21:10:21

They’re naturally slim anyway, and have the chance for plenty of sleep, food made to order (so lots of delicious but not fattening salads, lean meat, freshest fruit and veg) and can do a couple of hours exercise every day without worrying about childcare, work, washing kit etc. I’d be skinny and happy with it too with a life like that.

Mrsmadevans Wed 23-May-18 21:10:34

I agree with you OP, espesh Meghans legs the are really thin, almost skeletal.

mangocoveredlamb Wed 23-May-18 21:10:50

Having your own chef probably helps.
For eg they won’t be currently standing in their kitchen eating left over risotto from the pan while mumsnetting...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: