Talk

Advanced search

To feel sick at the thought of a mouse in the house?

(20 Posts)
BlueNeighbourhood1 Wed 23-May-18 18:45:50

I live with my Grandmother and this morning she said she saw a mouse run from the living room towards the kitchen of the house.

I'm actually terrified. I don't know why because I know they won't harm me, it's maybe the shock of possibly seeing one. I'm too scared to go in the kitchen and don't want to go to my room incase they are in there (it's a bungalow)

Council are coming on Friday to sort it out (and charge £40 for the privilege) and I've no idea how I can survive the next two nights or even getting up early in the morning to shower incase I see them.

Any tips for surviving? I'm keeping doors shut as I go in and out of rooms.

smileplease6 Wed 23-May-18 18:46:40

YANBU to be freaked out but pests are everywhere .

Pebblespony Wed 23-May-18 18:48:18

Make loads of noise before you go into a room. Turn on the light & give it a few secs before going in. Give him a chance to scraper. He'll try to keep away.

BlueNeighbourhood1 Wed 23-May-18 18:51:16

I don't want to hurt him! Bless, he's just doing his job. We just need to get along quietly for the next couple of days.

I'll do the thing with the lights and noise thank you!

FASH84 Wed 23-May-18 18:51:52

They hate peppermint oil dilute some in a spray bottle and wipe down the kitchen units etc, they'll head for the kitchen because of food. Agree with making noise etc. We've also got a cat who's turned out to be an excellent mouser despite his lazy appearance, so if that's an option it'll give you longer term peace of mind.

Samb79 Wed 23-May-18 18:52:16

Our cats bring them in all the time. However, I just found the last escapee - it crawled into the hoover attachment and died, leaving a trail of maggots as I hoovered...

FASH84 Wed 23-May-18 18:52:55

OP you realise the council are going to kill it right? If you'd rather not, cancel them get humane traps and release far from the house, eg local park.

speakout Wed 23-May-18 18:55:32

Doesn't concern me one bit.

But then I live in the country.

rebelrosie12 Wed 23-May-18 18:57:56

It's very unlikely you've just got one... Sorry. But yes I know the pain. We had a huge infestation when I was about to have dd2 all the way through our terrace. They've recently popped up again bit think we caught it in time.

Glassofredandapackofcrisps Wed 23-May-18 18:59:21

Do you have a cat? Get one or borrow a neighbours.
This mouse will die either through a cat or pest control or you'll have to live with it and it's huge family.
Sorry it's vermin.
Bye bye Mouse.

Leaveusalonelol Wed 23-May-18 19:01:23

The same happened to me last year I didn’t sleep right for months!! YANBU 😀

BlueNeighbourhood1 Wed 23-May-18 19:05:03

There is one place in the house we figured we had covered up in the kitchen to stop them having a place to nest and somehow it feels like they've got into there.

If it needs to be killed then I'll have to just not think about it, I'm hoping they're not in my bedroom and at the other side of the house instead. I have work all day tomorrow and Friday too but we've got zero idea how they got in.

Chances are theyve been here a while and just been caught out for the first time ever.

Puffycat Wed 23-May-18 19:06:50

In my experience you never get just ONE mouse, sorry!
Only sure answer is a cat.
I speak from experience here!

Luisa27 Wed 23-May-18 19:06:54

You don’t “want to hurt him”?

You do realise the council pest controller will kill the mouse and any other unfortunate creature they come across?

I’m with you speakout - doesn’t worry me in the slightest. Always makes me laugh - great hulking humans ‘terrified’ of something the size of a mouse.
Ironic, as humans are the most dangerous, cruel creatures ever to have existed

BlueNeighbourhood1 Wed 23-May-18 19:14:46

It is strange as if I was in a pet shop I wouldn't care about holding a mouse. Its like a surprise thing like I don't expect to see them scooting across the floor.

Do they tend to reside nearer to the kitchen than anywhere else?

possumgoddess Thu 24-May-18 09:21:13

YABU to feel sick. Total overreaction. It's a mouse for goodness sake not a rattlesnake! However not wrong to be getting rid of it, as other poster has said there is rarely just ONE mouse (unless you have cats when you can have a whole succession of single mice brought in by your furry little darlings.... )

londonrach Thu 24-May-18 09:24:56

Sorry read your title and reminded me of this...

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj40JtpqI0U

StormcloakNord Thu 24-May-18 09:25:41

There's a moose loose, aboot this hoose.

Sorry, had to.

RunningjustasfastasIcan99 Thu 24-May-18 09:29:21

You are being ridiculous and irrational! However, I am also ridiculous and irrational and squeal stupidly if I see one. The only way imho. To avoid mice is to get a cat. Yes they will bring them in occasionally but they also finish them off. We live rurally and don't struggle. Good luck. Know how you feel. X

RayRayBidet Thu 24-May-18 11:10:00

I had mice in a previous house. Put all food into sealed boxes so there is no food for them. You need to clean thoroughly as they pee as they walk around.
You won't have just one I'm afraid. The council will put poison down normally and then they die in crevices and stink the place out.
The old fashioned spring traps baited with Nutella work best and it's a quick death. I got around 20 before the hole they were coming in from was sealed up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: