Talk

Advanced search

Tattooed nurses

(666 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

CaptainCabinets Wed 23-May-18 15:28:14

Would you be put off by a tattooed nurse? At the moment I’ve only got them in places a patient would never see but I do plan to add some to my upper arm in the near future.

Just want to hear your thoughts and reasons!

Aprilmightbemynewname Wed 23-May-18 15:29:43

I would be reassured she was familiar with pain and be a sympathetic nurse tbh!!

NotUmbongoUnchained Wed 23-May-18 15:29:56

No, and anyone who is is a fucking idiot.

Whatshallidonowpeople Wed 23-May-18 15:30:30

A number of places don't allow visible tattoos so I'd check that 1st

BastardMs Wed 23-May-18 15:30:38

Absolutely not and I agree with Umbongo that anyone who would be put off is clearly an arse.

ICantCopeAnymore Wed 23-May-18 15:31:35

Not at all. If someone thought that a picture on skin was anything to do with a trained professional's ability to do their job, I'd be more concerned about their brain than anything else.

A4710Rider Wed 23-May-18 15:32:20

No, and anyone who is is a fucking idiot

Totally.

ShakeTheDisease Wed 23-May-18 15:33:29

When I get caring and dedicated nurses looking after me, I don't give a shit about their appearance. (Which I don't anyway, but you get the idea.)

Would they even be seen on the upper arm? Short sleeved uniform would still cover that, surely?

x2boys Wed 23-May-18 15:33:40

no but sometimes NHS trusts frown upon visible tattoos.

RatherBeRiding Wed 23-May-18 15:33:41

Having a tattoo doesn't make someone a less professional or sympathetic nurse! I've seen clinical staff with visible tattoos before (arms) but if you are already working as a nurse, best to check the Trust's policy.

HopefullyAnonymous Wed 23-May-18 15:36:11

I’m gonna disagree ever so slightly and say it depends sa what the tattoo is; I think each tattoo says something about your personality. I’d be put off a little by a giant scary clown tattoo for example. But all that really matters is that you’re a good nurse.

JacquesHammer Wed 23-May-18 15:36:55

No, and anyone who is is a fucking idiot

This

Cornettoninja Wed 23-May-18 15:36:55

Unless it was a tattoo of first aid basics I wouldn't be fussed.

I think there are some of a much older generation that would be bothered but tattoos have become so main stream that's dying out now.

PestymcPestFace Wed 23-May-18 15:39:12

LOVE & HATE across your knuckles - not good.

Something that is concealed inside a short sleeve shirt and unlikely to be noticed - who cares or knows.

DontDrinkDontSmoke Wed 23-May-18 15:39:18

It would give me something to read while being examined!

CaptainCabinets Wed 23-May-18 15:39:35

The tattoo I have in mind would be botanicals so daisies, poppies, bees etc. All black and grey and inoffensive smile

troodiedoo Wed 23-May-18 15:39:38

I'm heavily tattooed but they can all be covered up. I would love a full sleeve but keep my forearms blank in case I get a job that requires it. It's hard enough to get a job without making it harder for yourself.

drspouse Wed 23-May-18 15:40:33

No home made tattoos, tears on the face, misspelled words or swastikas please.
(Do I need to add LIGHT HEARTED?)

notanurse2017 Wed 23-May-18 15:41:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JacquesHammer Wed 23-May-18 15:42:20

Unless it was a tattoo of first aid basics I wouldn't be fussed

I LOVE that idea.

"He's severed an artery, quick Julie, check my lower back for instructions"

The tattoo I have in mind would be botanicals so daisies, poppies, bees etc. All black and grey and inoffensive

I'd just be interested to be honest. I had a major leg injury last year, chatting to the nurse who triaged me about her tattoos was a very welcome distraction!

Bluelady Wed 23-May-18 15:42:23

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest but the Trust I worked for had a policy which didn't allow visible tattoos.

pallisers Wed 23-May-18 15:45:51

Unless it was a tattoo of first aid basics I wouldn't be fussed

smile

I have a friend whose father (born in the 1940s) has a severe allergy to penicillin. His mother was so worried about him being given it she had it tattooed on his chest and his wrist.

I don't like tattoos but it wouldn't occur to me to care about them on nurses or doctors or anyone really.

Glumglowworm Wed 23-May-18 15:46:13

As long as it’s not offensive (as in swastikas or swear words or “I hate patients”) it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest

crunchymint Wed 23-May-18 15:50:02

Some employers will care. So be aware it may affect employment.
Also remember the majority of patients in a hospital are elderly people. It wasn't that long ago i.e. when I was a young adult, that only criminals, alternative types and dodgy people had tattoos. So some elderly patients may be wary or scared of you.

ElspethFlashman Wed 23-May-18 15:50:21

I have tattoos but keep them to non-visible spots.

The main reason is that I have a friend who has a tattooed forearm and he says he gets asked about them at least 3 times a day. Patients are bored, they're casting about for conversation and they spot the tattoos.

He's so deathly BORED of the subject he wishes he never got the blasted things!

Shake the sleeves on uniforms are shorter than you think, sadly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: