Talk

Advanced search

To think being too cold is worse than being too hot

(105 Posts)
smileplease6 Wed 23-May-18 13:09:11

I'm that person who can't stand the air con or the windows open if it's not hot outside. I hate the breeze while I'm working and my hands get very cold easily.

But I always seem to work with people who want the Office about 16c. I usually grin and bare it but sometimes I'm so uncomfortable I can't work.

I'm not saying everyone should be sweating and boiling, but I feel being cold is worse than being a little warm. AIBU?

ShatnersWig Wed 23-May-18 13:10:44

YANBU because that's how your body responds to temperature.

I'm the other way around and don't really feel the cold unless it is seriously bitter but don't like the heat (gives me migraine). I'm NBU.

pyramidbutterflyfish Wed 23-May-18 13:11:16

Put on a jumper?

GalwayWayfarer Wed 23-May-18 13:11:28

I'm the opposite - if I'm too hot I get nauseated and miserable whereas being too cold can be refreshing!

thefishwhocouldwish Wed 23-May-18 13:12:54

I have Raynauds, I struggle with a trip to Tesco . There's no way I could cope with 16c in my workplace. YANBU.

Not having to deal with winter is one of the reasons I'm glad to be moving somewhere far warmer soon.

WeirdAndPissedOff Wed 23-May-18 13:14:21

Depends on the climate where you live, and as a pp said if that's how your body responsored, then of course you will have that preference!
I'd much rather be cold, though - you can layer up to get warm, you don't feel sticky and sweaty, and I get headaches/migraines when it's too hot. I really feel like I can't breathe if the air is too warm/thick.

SoyDora Wed 23-May-18 13:15:28

Another one who would much rather be cold, I feel sick and claustrophobic if it’s too hot.
You can’t be unreasonable about a preference though.

MIdgebabe Wed 23-May-18 13:15:35

SInce people have different comfort temperatures, someone needs to adapt. Putting on layers can be more polite than stripping off.

Racecardriver Wed 23-May-18 13:16:18

YABU. Buy some gloves.

CornishMaid1 Wed 23-May-18 13:16:54

It is difficult. I feel the heat and run hot, so I would rather be too cold than too hot.

It depends on how they are though. Most people are too quick to put the heating/air conditioning on rather than layers - we have one girl in the office who will wear a short sleeve or sleeveless top and then put her heater on because she is too cold.

Most can get a happier medium - lighter clothes for those who feel the heat, more layers for those who feel the cold and compromise.

Bunchofdaffodils Wed 23-May-18 13:17:18

Unfortunately for you, if one is cold one can put on more clothes, even fingerless gloves(?! might be a way of getting your point across?!).
But if you are hot to the point of nausea there's only so many items of clothing one can remove at work!
Although, it may be hearsay, i think there's a minimum temperature you can be asked to endure at work but not a maximum.

Bluelady Wed 23-May-18 13:17:24

I hate being cold. Far worse than being too hot - is that even possible?

Racecardriver Wed 23-May-18 13:18:19

*YABU about wanting the office to be warmer, not preferring being too hot over being too cold.

Teufelsrad Wed 23-May-18 13:18:36

Being too hot makes me feel much worse than when I'm too cold. I never feel nauseated when cold but I certainly can when I'm overly hot.

A happy medium needs to be found though. My mother has circulation problems so I know how miserable they can be.

Hellomumsne Wed 23-May-18 13:18:54

Men cope with colder temps much more easily than women which is why offices are set to a closer temp most office time. I also really struggle with this. I used to work in Dubai and you'd walk from a lovely warm outside into a refrigerated office/cinema/mall etc. I'd always have to carry spare socks, jumpers and scarves which is so daft when it's lovely and warm outside.

Aragog Wed 23-May-18 13:19:21

For me yes I find the cold much harder to deal with and putting on a jumper doesn't really help that much. It is my joints that are affected most by the cold. I have arthritis and the cold really does make them much more painful, even if wrapped up and have gloves on.

16C is much too cold for a work place. Infant that is the minimum it should be allowed to get to according to the HSE's Approved Code of Practice. The WHO says the basic level of warmth required for a healthy and well-dressed person is 18°C. Around 19-22C is the comfortable norm for most people.

Hellomumsne Wed 23-May-18 13:19:56

I mean colder temp, not closer... smile

DareIAdmit Wed 23-May-18 13:20:10

At least if you're cold you can put a jumper on. There's only so much you can take off when it's hot whereas you can put endless layers on in the cold. I can't cope in the heat, I faint. It's really inconvenient and I feel terrible for hours afterwards.

HateTheDF Wed 23-May-18 13:20:17

YANBU just putting on a jumper just doesn't work for me. I am constantly cold during the winter even with jumpers and heating on.

maxthemartian Wed 23-May-18 13:23:40

Putting a jumper on doesn't actually work though. If I am in 16 degrees and relatively sedentary I'll get progressively more chilled regardless of what clothing I put on.
Also then takes me hours to warm back up again. It's absolutely miserable.

KellyanneConway Wed 23-May-18 13:26:15

I totally agree with you OP, I hate being cold, it makes me tired, grumpy and ill. I keep a long, think cardigan and fingerless gloves in my desk at work and put that on over jumpers sometimes. I prefer the dingy poorly lit office I'm in now to my previous wall to ceiling windowed bright space as I don't have to share it with people who insist on having air con blasting and I can plug in a heater when I need to. I wear a dressing gown over my clothes at home most evenings - not too sexy, but more comfortable!

Dobbythesockelf Wed 23-May-18 13:29:02

I hate being hot, I get nauseous if I get too warm. My dh really feels the cold. We are all different. In our home I strip off to a top and knickers if it's a bit warm but if we have visitors I can't do that. So our compromise is to keep the room around 17 during winter and he puts a jumper on and we always have a blanket handy. It's easier to warm up than cool down in my experience.

Manymanyavocados Wed 23-May-18 13:30:13

So highly doubt it even actually is 16 degrees. I worked with someone like you. She insisted on rocking up to work in T-shirts, kept the heating on till May and was generally a nightmare. Because she switched the ac off, the office would be absolutely boiling by the time I started work. Would then switch the ac to around 16 degrees to just cool the place down to a temperature where the rest of us could work. She would spend the entire time whinging about how she was cold, but would not just wear a cardigan or sth along those lines. The rest of us already came in with as little close as professionally acceptable, so I can't take more clothes off. As pp said, I get migraines from the heat. This is a really touchy subject for me. Working with her was hell (even though she was a nice person otherwise this daily battle made me absolutely loathe her).

Manymanyavocados Wed 23-May-18 13:31:13

*clothes

BlooperReel Wed 23-May-18 13:31:42

I prefer being cold, easier to warm up with layers etc. If it is too hot its harder to get any relief from it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: