Advanced search

GP - I don't have an answer for you (possible TMI)

(68 Posts)
Hamandcheesebaguette Tue 22-May-18 17:35:09

Went to see the GP today for the following:

* heavy yellow discharge - loads of it
* general on and off pain of the whole "area" when sitting, washing etc
* pain from urethra when urinating
* last 2 periods (on the pill) have been horrifically heavy
* pain during sex
* bleeding after sex
* bleeding mid month
* cramps throughout the whole month On and off
* on occasional days where discharge doesn't require me changing a panty liner 3 times a day - it feels uncomfortably dry even to walk
* extreme night we, wake up every night soaked thriugh despite DP claiming the bedroom is freezing with the window open (And I'm normally a cold person)

Think that's all of it...

Had swabs done for STI, BV, thrush etc... all came back clear.

GP had a brief look with a speculum and said it didn't look like there was anything wrong with my cervix and there doesn't seem to be an answer for my problems.

AIBU to think that's not good enough?? My next smear isn't due until 2020 but around 18 months ago I had LLETZ to remove CIN3 cells, subsequent smear came back okay.

I feel like they should be doing a more through examination/early smear or something. None of this is normal for my body and has only appeared over the last 2 months or so. I'm only 27 and don't want all these problems forever ☹ it's killed my sex drive and I feel so unsexy not to mention uncomfortable

BackToTheFuschia7 Tue 22-May-18 17:37:17

Sorry you’re having such a hard time flowers

Have you been to the GUM clinic? They don’t just deal with STDs, and have better expertise in this area than a GP.

MyBreadIsEggy Tue 22-May-18 17:37:30

Yanbu to expect more investigation considering your symptoms!!
Was pelvic inflammatory disease mentioned?

mrsFruitLoops Tue 22-May-18 17:38:41

have they checked urine for bladder/etc infection?

DragonBone Tue 22-May-18 17:40:20

You need a referral to see a gynaecologist- and also ask for a scan, and blood test. Hope u get a resolution x

Joboy Tue 22-May-18 17:40:48

I would vote for gum clinic as well.

BarryTheKestrel Tue 22-May-18 17:41:21

I've had similar issues since January 2017. After multiple GP visits and tests I was referred to a gynecologist who also didn't really know what was causing it but suspected a Skene Duct infection. After a round of strong steroids and antibiotics it almost cleared up. Every now and again it flares but a day or two of cream and it's gone again.

Worth getting a referral if you can. Keep going back.

8misskitty8 Tue 22-May-18 17:41:54

That’s not good enough. Further investigations should be done especially considering your medical history.
Get another appointment with a different doctor.

jaseyraex Tue 22-May-18 17:43:29

See another GP if you can and also visit a gum clinic. Sudden changes like that should not be fobbed off with no explanation or further investigation.

tillytown Tue 22-May-18 17:45:31

I agree with BackToTheFuschia7, get yourself to a gum clinic

Hamandcheesebaguette Tue 22-May-18 17:58:59

Thank you for your responses smile

I didn't know that the GUM clinics were for anything other than contraception/STI screening. I will definitely look into that.

I wasn't sure if I should just listen to the Dr and accept that this is normal for me (which he kept saying - many women experience different things, levels of bleeding and discharge etc)!

Hamandcheesebaguette Tue 22-May-18 18:00:52

There was no mention of anything that could be causing it... no PID or infection or anything just... I don't think we will get an answer for you!

saison4 Tue 22-May-18 18:21:50

did he suggest any further tests or investigations or was that it?

I would expect s gynecology referral for scans at least. Actually with mid cycle bleeding and bleeding after sex I would expect an urgent referral.

Is there another GP in your surgery you can see?

Ellapaella Tue 22-May-18 18:28:16

Agree with above poster. With your symptoms and history I think you need 2 week referral with a colposcopy as part of that. That is just my opinion but I think you need to say to your GP that you are seriously concerned and want to see a specialist. Don't take no for an answer.

Hamandcheesebaguette Tue 22-May-18 19:27:32

No further tests etc recommended... just "don't think we will get an answer for you"! And a prescription for some moisturiser to help on the "dry" days... confused

It wasn't the doctor I had booked in to see actually, she had been called away for some reason so I might try and book in with her again for a different opinion

Elspeth12345 Tue 22-May-18 19:31:32

It definitely sounds like you should book to see another GP this week and ask for a gynae referral. Could you request a female GP who might have more of a clue?

I'm sure I read that mid-cycle bleeding is a red flag for some nasties and should be checked.

Peterrabbitscarrots Tue 22-May-18 19:33:26

Ask for gynae referral or self refer to GUM. I wouldn’t do a smear - they are a screening test for asymptomaric women

Hamandcheesebaguette Tue 22-May-18 19:42:33

I've just angrily cleaned my house and am quite irritated now actually.

My cervix "doesn't look angry" so therefore there's nothing wrong with me despite the various symptoms or SOMETHING. I'm not suggesting that I have cancer at all but I didn't realise you could see cancer or dodgy cells just by having a small glance at my cervix. Why did I have to have an industrial flipping telescope and dye pumped up there last time then?! Urgh. I think I will contact my usual female GP tomorrow and ask if she can make a gynea referral for me. There is no way that there isn't something going on and I am concerned after consulting Dr.Google

Tistheseason17 Tue 22-May-18 19:46:21

Def go back. Ask for a referral to gynae.

RomeoBunny Tue 22-May-18 19:49:31

Sounds like Gonorrhea to me. Back to the GUM for a proper 2nd screen. Hope it's not the resistant type op!

YoYotheclown Tue 22-May-18 19:50:35

I had very similar issues to yours op. After crying on the phone to my gp (who I had visited at leat four times in that week ) she referred me to a urologist and I went to the walk in gum clinic. Gum did lots of tests and all was ok. But the urologist did a cystoscopy and realised I had a urethral stricture. He stretched it there and then for me (killed me with pain ) but found relief as soon as the next day. I really wanted to call gp and shout at her for leaving me to suffer for so long. I had been having symptoms for months but had got worse in that last week. I still have bladder issues but I see urologist now so feel more relaxed. I really feel you should push for more tests and not settle. You know your body the best. Feel better soon. flowers

Hamandcheesebaguette Tue 22-May-18 19:51:51

Already had the full STI screen and to be honest have been with DP for 5 years (And was tested at beginning of relationship) so unless he had been up to no good (And I have no reasons at all to suspect as much) there isn't any reason to believe it's STI related I don't think?

FASH84 Tue 22-May-18 19:52:56

You need further tests, my best friend had very similar symptoms, and was fobbed off for months. Turned out it was early menopause at 31/32

GrandTheftWalrus Tue 22-May-18 19:56:49

I had symptoms like that as well. And was told it was because of my weight.

I lost 7 stone and still had the problems.

Everything has been clear though so no idea what it was. It all stopped eventually a couple of years ago.

Hamandcheesebaguette Tue 22-May-18 20:01:48

@FASH84 you know, early menopause has creeped into my mind a few times, especially with the night sweats plus I haven't been sleeping well and waking up wide awake around 4am every night but then think I'm just being bonkers at only 27 confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: