Talk

Advanced search

To think it's not fluffy 90s pop, but creepy asf?

(346 Posts)
stellenbosch Mon 21-May-18 20:33:45

So, 'You're Gorgeous" (Babybird) was on the radio today in the car. Naturally, I turned it up.
Was singing along, (dc in back) and it struck me that it's actually a very creepy song and not a happy 90s pop tune.. got me thinking, what other songs that were acceptable back in the day probably wouldn't make the cut today?

The 80s song, 'I touch myself', comes to mind... lol

AIBU Or what other old songs do you think are, in retrospect, creepy asf? 🤔🤣

jedenfalls Mon 21-May-18 20:35:26

You’re gorgeous was MEANT to be creepy

It was about exploitation in the modelling industry iirc

xsquared Mon 21-May-18 20:37:27

^This
It was meant to be creepy, and sarcastic as a dig to celebrity culture.

jedenfalls Mon 21-May-18 20:37:38

‚‘ However the song, which many understood to be a besotted love song, is frequently misinterpreted. Jones told The Sheffield Telegraph November 5, 2009: "I can't tell people how to interpret the song, but the song's actually about male photographers who want to use women to sell things using sex."

stellenbosch Mon 21-May-18 20:38:33

"The song was also used in an Australian advertisement for Nurofen for Children."

🤔

dontticklethetoad Mon 21-May-18 20:39:23

Oh, too late! What everyone else has said grin

xsquared Mon 21-May-18 20:39:38

Some rock songs were definitely creepy.

I usually like Aerosmith but “Rag Doll” was definitely creepy, especially the video.

lastnamefirstfirstnamelast Mon 21-May-18 20:40:42

I hate the i touch myself song and the heart song - all i wanna do is make love to you. Cheesy and creepy AF as the woman has a one night stand to get up the duff because her husband cant. Jeremy kyle in a song.

AztecBanana Mon 21-May-18 20:41:15

Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen makes me cringe.

mnahmnah Mon 21-May-18 20:42:38

I’m always astounded by Heart, ‘all I wanna do is make love to you’. Pick up a random guy off the street, take him to a motel for a shag, then off you go

beansforbreakfastonceagain Mon 21-May-18 20:43:16

Not so much creepy but allegedly Pulp's Pencil Skirt is meant to be written from the point of view of a vibrator.

mnahmnah Mon 21-May-18 20:43:18

lastname- Cross post!

LooseyInTheSky Mon 21-May-18 20:45:02

I absolutely think creepy songs would make the cut today. I touch myself especially.

Blurred Lines, S&M...

lastnamefirstfirstnamelast Mon 21-May-18 20:45:42

mnahmnah

I actually have to turn it off if it comes on the radio. "We made magic that night" vom.

StringandGlitter Mon 21-May-18 20:45:45

I used to waitress at weddings and the number of couples that had Every Breath You Take as a first dance was 🤭

CadyHeron Mon 21-May-18 20:46:03

Blimey, if you took offence to song lyrics you'd be left with nothing to listen to!

jedenfalls Mon 21-May-18 20:47:57

Every breath you take is creepy AF

MayFayner Mon 21-May-18 20:47:59

My Sharona

Ugh

beansforbreakfastonceagain Mon 21-May-18 20:50:14

*I absolutely think creepy songs would make the cut today. I touch myself especially.

Blurred Lines, S&M...*

Good point. Have you seen this? grin

youtu.be/Ebl5bhe62-I

robotcartrainhat Mon 21-May-18 20:53:27

Come On Elieen

Inner Circle- Sweat (Girl, I want to make you sweat, sweat till you can't sweat no more
And if you cry out, I'm gonna push it some more
Girl, I want to make you sweat, sweat till you can't sweat no more
And if you cry out, I'm gonna push it, push it, push it some more) WTF?!?!

Jerry Lee Lewis- Chantilly Lace..... YUCK

TheOriginalEmu Mon 21-May-18 20:56:55

In always took the inner circle song to mean cry out in pleasure tbh.

Gatehouse77 Mon 21-May-18 20:57:07

If I recall correctly, Sweat was originally worded 'Wet' but Snoop Dog was told to change it for air play.

KittenBeast Mon 21-May-18 20:58:45

I just googled the lyrics of that 'All i wanna do is make love to you' song, and I'm mopping up pools of my vomit. Christ, that's bad.

EmmaGrundyForPM Mon 21-May-18 20:59:40

"Every Breath You Take" was about a control freak/stalker. I once read an interview with Sting who said he couldn't believe the number of people who didn't listen to the lyrics and thought it was a love song even having it at their wedding etc .

Cheerymom Mon 21-May-18 21:00:48

Does Your Mother Know ? Abba

You're so hot, teasing me
So you're blue but I can't take a chance on a kid like you
That's something I couldn't do
There's that look in your eyes
I can read in your face that your feelings are driving you wild
Ah, but boy you're only a child.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: