Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if the people in nail shops are trafficked

(71 Posts)
Metoodear Mon 21-May-18 20:32:12

That’s it really getting my feet done and their seems to be a high proportion of Asians doing nails now I will fully concede that this just might be a thing to go into my nails are really nice however I always wondered if they may be trafficed

Please done flame me blush

DrAdmin Mon 21-May-18 20:32:55

Sometimes I wonder this about car washes

honeysucklejasmine Mon 21-May-18 20:34:35

I think it's a "known" area for traffickers, but I'm not sure on the figures, or indeed if it's true.

Opheliah Mon 21-May-18 20:37:58

No you are definitely onto something.

Near me in London there are Asian girls at a nail bar but they're sitting around lots with no customers, I don't see how it any makes money. DP and I suspect the premises is used for money laundering with nail bar as a cover and the girls are paid whatever just to prop up the appearance of a real business. And can obviously do nails too.

TellMeDinosaurFacts Mon 21-May-18 20:40:28

Police intown busted a hand car wash for trafficking a couple of years ago actually. They only managed it because some of the poor trafficked men were brave and desperate enough to go to the police in the end. I’m very wary of them now.

TellMeDinosaurFacts Mon 21-May-18 20:41:02

Sorry in my town

MollyDaydream Mon 21-May-18 20:42:22

Nail bars and car washes are well known for trafficking.

Moussemoose Mon 21-May-18 20:43:13

Yes some are. I work with young people and we are aware that some nail bars are run by very dangerous people. We work to educate youngsters from mainly, but not exclusively, Vietnam, Cambodia etc to stay away.

Some young people have been trafficked and we try to build new links with safer employers.

This is not true for all nail bars some of the young people are working hard to make a living. How do you know which is which - I have no idea.

Look for places that have healthy looking, happy staff. Don't go to the cheapest places, try to engage in conversation, ask if they are learning English anywhere.

Furano Mon 21-May-18 20:44:43

Yup to car washes and nail bars.

NewBallsPlease00 Mon 21-May-18 20:45:00

It’s a high area of high risk, which also preys on the documentation of names often being in local script eg mandarin , and photos are hazy, so it is less instantly readable by authorities...

tenbob Mon 21-May-18 20:45:09

An article I read said to be wary of nail bars which don't take cards/routinely have a card machine that is 'broken', where the technicians don't speak English and where you can't book with a specific person but have to use their taxi rank system

Tbh, that sums up every single nail bar I can think of, bar the swishy ones inside department stores or day spas

And the BBC had a recent article about car washes using trafficked people

Akire Mon 21-May-18 20:45:26

This is Aline you can report on if are suspicious. I know sort of
Things to look out for are really cheap prices. So in a car wash if 5 blokes take half hour do your car and it’s costing you a £10 then it’s not going give mim wage x 5 adults

If staff looked unkept, in poor cloning for task and generally unhappy though could apply to many jobs.

JustGettingStarted Mon 21-May-18 20:46:19

I also worry about the health risks if they're not wearing masks.

user1457017537 Mon 21-May-18 20:47:27

In my local nail bars the girls cannot speak English and are Vietnamese. The shop only accepts cash for payment. Alarm bells ring for me. However, I cannot believe that Councils do not keep an eye on who is employed on the premises but then again maybe I’m being naive.

Biologifemini Mon 21-May-18 20:48:16

There normally is one bloke in there in order to keep an eye on the girls and ensure they don’t say anything or run off.
According to the guardian this is one of the signs of a people trafficked nail bar.
But people get their nails done on the cheap so that’s ok then(!).

niceupthedance Mon 21-May-18 20:48:53

In car washes I suspect a lot of men are there because their claim for asylum got refused so they don't have legal right to work.

MorganKitten Mon 21-May-18 20:50:43

There’s a good story behind the original Vietnamese women who ran salons, it started after the Vietnam war and they were the wives brought back to the USA. I know the staff in mine aren’t trafficked as it’s all one family.

Penfold007 Mon 21-May-18 20:51:53

According to my police officer DN the nails shop staff and the car wash people are all at high risk of being trafficked. Sobering thought, what are we meant to do?

kabanner Mon 21-May-18 20:53:01

Nail bars and car washes are big areas of focus for the GLAA of you have any suspicions then you can report to them.

Etino Mon 21-May-18 21:06:41

‘My’ nail bar workers have local accents and children at school here. They’re from mainland China. 10 years ago in Oz, they were definitely believed to have been trafficked though. If it is a front it’s a clever one, they’re busy and profitable.

Etino Mon 21-May-18 21:08:16

@Biologifemini
There are more men doing nails than women!

kabanner Mon 21-May-18 21:14:28

@Etino in my experience men can be just as vulnerable as women to this, especially if they have family who maybe threatened either here in the UK or back in home country.
As I said earlier any concerns Google GLAA and look at how to report.

Moussemoose Mon 21-May-18 21:15:02

Some of the trafficked youngsters are young men and they are trained to work in the nail bars.

The councils do their best to regulate - but you know all the cuts of local government bureaucrats you hear about - well it is these jobs that go. Trading standards and anti trafficking teams can all disappear without impacting immediately on people who vote.

Etino Mon 21-May-18 21:17:00

@kabanner I don’t disagree about men being more at risk, just that they’re not a rarity installed to stop the women running away.

VioletCharlotte Mon 21-May-18 21:30:37

I believe they are often a front for illegal businesses, and are used to launder money.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if some of the staff are trafficked and being used as sex workers as well as nail technicians.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: