Talk

Advanced search

Partner and dog!!

(63 Posts)
Kee80 Sun 20-May-18 22:47:23

AIBU thinking my partner is a bit strange. When it comes to his dog he adores it speaks to it in a high pitched squeaky voice like you would a child. Never leaves it alone always living it. Yet when it comes to kids or babies he's not interested at all all. Just says oh.

Is this weird!!

Wolfiefan Sun 20-May-18 22:48:30

Why is it odd? He loves his dog.
If they aren't his children you're talking about then why should he gush over random small people?

Fluffypinkpyjamas Sun 20-May-18 22:50:03

Not weird. At all. He loves his Dog as he should. I’m like that with our lot. We have DC also. Are you jealous ?

TegKernow Sun 20-May-18 22:52:22

It's not weird.

He prefers his dog to random kids. Why wouldn't he?

Not everyone is gushy over babies and children.

Oddish Sun 20-May-18 22:53:38

How do you feel about the dog?

FrancisCrawford Sun 20-May-18 22:56:09

Perfectly normal to love his dog and prefer it to random or hypothetical children.

DontMakeMeShushYou Sun 20-May-18 22:57:00

God no! it's perfectly normal.

Luisa27 Sun 20-May-18 22:59:05

Of course he loves his dog more than random children? That’s normal.
People who love their pets and who treat animals with respect are generally pretty decent people

OakIsBetterTho Sun 20-May-18 22:59:46

Not everyone has to love kids. And dogs are great. So YABU.

Luisa27 Sun 20-May-18 23:00:10

....I think it’s very telling you refer to the dog as ‘it’ OP

ZibbidooZibbidooZibbidoo Sun 20-May-18 23:00:45

Whose children is he not interested in?

BaronessBomburst Sun 20-May-18 23:03:10

I doted on my cat.
I ignored other people's children.
When I had my own I doted on DS and the cat. I still ignore other people's children.
YABU. He's not weird.

TheDairyQueen Sun 20-May-18 23:13:46

YABU, he sounds totally sensible!

nellieellie Sun 20-May-18 23:13:49

Not weird. People who love their dogs (if you have a dog, you should love it) do this all the time. I speak to both my dogs in a silly voice. I even have voices for them. My Romanian rescue has a dodgy Eastern European accent, and my large Fluffbutt sounds like Ray Winstone. I wouldn’t be able to contemplate a partner who didn’t like dogs. If I were you, I’d get to know your DP’s pooch a bit better.

AngelsSins Sun 20-May-18 23:14:54

Haha, I think I’m the same as he is! Babies just don’t appeal to everyone.

LakieLady Sun 20-May-18 23:15:40

DP speaks to our dog in exactly the same silly voice as he used to use with our DGD when she was a baby.

Kee80 Mon 21-May-18 09:02:46

I don't mind the dog. I just think it's strange how some people think more about animals than they do about children.

The children I refer to are nephews and nieces. No he doesn't haven't children. I have a ds

Wolfiefan Mon 21-May-18 09:05:40

His nephews and nieces? Does he see them often?
It's not about people vs animals. It's about thinking of your pet as a member of the family and loving it as such.
So you have a DS and this is your partner? Is the real issue you want kids with this person and you think he would love the dog more? If not then I struggle to see the issue.

ZibbidooZibbidooZibbidoo Mon 21-May-18 09:12:36

Have you met many people OP? Animals are far more pleasant to be around. Dogs are the best.

KinkyAfro Mon 21-May-18 09:23:53

Is he me, i do this. I also prefer dogs to kids

ScreamingValenta Mon 21-May-18 09:28:15

I do this all the time smile. On the rare occasions I meet a child, I talk to him or her in a normal voice because the child will understand what I'm saying; whereas my animals only have a limited 'human' vocabulary so the affectionate tone of voice is what matters to them.

Mia1415 Mon 21-May-18 09:29:37

To be fair I prefer dogs to most children!

siwel123 Mon 21-May-18 09:31:08

Not wierd at all.
He loves his dogs, I like mine more than my nieces and nephew grin.
Sometimes more then my kids grin

Roomba Mon 21-May-18 09:32:27

It's not weird to feel that way about your pet, as you can see from the responses here.

I can't say I'd find it very sexy either though frankly grin. In fact it would turn me right off. I don't have my own dog though - I like them, but not enough to ever want to live with one.

Roomba Mon 21-May-18 09:33:59

But then I had to ask my own mother to stop talking to my baby in a weird sing song high pitchrd voice as it was creepy... So I accept it's just me (and you, OP)!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: