Talk

Advanced search

What's the worst thing that's ever happened to you?

(187 Posts)
carol1234568 Sun 20-May-18 19:56:06

Sorry for the depressing thread, but sometimes I start thinking about all the sad things most of us will have to deal with in life.

Obviously we all have shit things happen - I've been bullied, made redundant and have had issues with my parents over the years, but I'm talking about the single hardest thing you've had to deal with.

For me it was when my grandmother died. I feel many people brush off grandparents deaths and don't realise it can be just as sad as a parent dying. My grandma cared about me more than my parents do, and her death was my first real experience with loss.

What about you?

Stopandlook Sun 20-May-18 19:58:17

Losing my suddenly Dad at 16.

Stopandlook Sun 20-May-18 19:58:46

Losing my Dad suddenly I mean!

Metoodear Sun 20-May-18 20:00:06

Being abused by my parents it’s effected me my whole life touches everything I do

Watched my dad beat my my then when we finally escaped she started beating us

Bambamber Sun 20-May-18 20:00:26

My brother pushing my pregnant mother down the stairs to try and attack me with a knife. My mum miscarried twins and blamed both my brother and me

Turnocks34 Sun 20-May-18 20:01:34

OCD. It honestly haunts me. I go through waves, where it’s settled and I can function like an actual human and then periods like now, where it’s more severe and I can’t leave my bedroom. Currently on week 2 of this ‘flare up’ and I’m praying it settles soon.

Smellyjo Sun 20-May-18 20:02:09

Im sorry you lost your grandma flowers

I'm sure some people will think this ridiculous/ awful, but having my first child was definitely the hardest thing I have ever experienced. It was not at all what I expected, and trying to cope with all the changes in my life, my relationships, my free will...whilst chronically sleep deprived for 18 months, was incredibly hard for me. I really found it traumatic and have experienced bereavement, adultery, family separations. Thankfully that period has passed but currently I look back on that as the hardest time of my life.

SprayingMonsters Sun 20-May-18 20:02:16

💐

IamPickleRick Sun 20-May-18 20:02:51

Dad died when I was 12. He had been sick for ages.
Mums subsequent addictions meant that our whole childhood lives were awful. Poor. Never completed education to the level I wanted. Thrown out several times. Stayed in abusive relationships because I believed that was all I deserved. I didn’t feel happy until I was about 28.

My parents divorced when I was 10 and actually that did not affect me at all. That barely registered. My Nan died last year too OP, it is really hard. Yanbu flowers

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Sun 20-May-18 20:04:15

This will seem daft and inconsequential when compared to the bereavements, illnesses & injuries that will fill this thread. But honestly when I look back I think the thing that had the most lasting effect on me was when - at the age of 10 - my best friend who I'd been inseparable from since nursery school decided she didn't want to be my friend any more.

It was my first experience of rejection and it still hurts to think about it 30 years later. I've had trouble making friends and forming lasting relationships ever since.

BigFuckingManatee Sun 20-May-18 20:04:18

I found a dead body when I was 15. No one at school believed me or the friends I was with that day. People were very unsympathetic.

gingerh4ir Sun 20-May-18 20:04:53

getting a dx of autism and severe learning difficulties for DD.

Submariner Sun 20-May-18 20:06:02

Having to give permission for the doctors to stop trying to resuscitate my newborn son and then holding him as he died. Hopefully doesn't get more horrific than that. I certainly couldn't cope if it did.

carol1234568 Sun 20-May-18 20:06:28

I don't think it's daft badgers. When I was about that age my friend did something very similar, because a popular girl asked her to. I think things like that stay with us and affect us forever. I always feel people don't really want to be friends with me and it's caused me a lot of social anxiety issues.

BrieAndChilli Sun 20-May-18 20:07:51

Being adopted age 5, - neglected by birth family and adopted mum should never have been allowed to adopt.
It’s had an impact on everything my whole life and it’s something I have to overcome emotionally on a regular basis. It will suddenly hit me at random times and I have to work hard to overcome my grief for the parental love I never had (especially when I realise and am thankful for the fact that my kids lives are full of love)

ivenoideawhatimdoing Sun 20-May-18 20:07:54

Losing my dad aged 13 and when DH developed PTSD after a child died in his arms (he’s a policeman).

PinkBall Sun 20-May-18 20:08:16

Being raped and getting pregnant from it, then wishing I’d lose the baby and it actually happening, it died at 15 weeks and I had to deliver. It was the most horrific moment of my entire life.
I will never ever forgive myself for wishing my own child’s death.
Ever.

Oysterbabe Sun 20-May-18 20:09:06

My mum going into hospital with a chest infection then dying of leukemia a week later. She was healthy and in her 60s so a massive shock.

NoFuckingRoomOnMyBroom Sun 20-May-18 20:09:28

flowers Sub
I struggled when I lost my Gramps so can relate to the OP.

kaytee87 Sun 20-May-18 20:09:42

Just the past year or so in general.

Feb 2017 our beloved dog was pts
Apr found out my dads cancer is terminal
July made redundant a month before I was due to return from ML
Nov broke my ankle in 4 places (I still limp and have pain every day)
And a couple of weeks ago my grandfather died while I held his hand.

I think my son is the only thing that's kept me going most days but the guilt of not being able to take him out or look after him by myself for months whilst recovering from my ankle surgery was awful and I still think I've maybe held back his speech by too much tv during that time.

Greenteandchives Sun 20-May-18 20:09:51

My ds1 being diagnosed with cancer at 18 months old. Life changed for ever.

KinkyAfro Sun 20-May-18 20:10:00

My dad commiting suicide almost 6 years ago

Haudyerwheesht Sun 20-May-18 20:10:24

When I was at primary school my much loved granny died, my siblings both left home to go to university some distance away and my best friend who was more like a sister died of a brain aneurysm very very suddenly. It was the combination of all of it and it made me so nervous of who I’d lose next.

iwishicouldbelikedavidwatts Sun 20-May-18 20:11:28

in the past 5 years...

dad cancer - dead
best friend cancer - dead
mum cancer - told us today

i'm the woman she made me and that kept me going through all this and more. and it's going to keep me going now. if i can be half the mum to my kids...

SneakyGremlins Sun 20-May-18 20:11:30

Coming out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: