Talk

Advanced search

Or being a grumpybagface regarding neighbour's music?

(39 Posts)
GrumpyBagFace Sun 20-May-18 18:23:07

Neighbour is a lone parent with a 15 year old son. She gets home from work about 8pm and from 6-8 every evening her son plays loud repetitive house music. I've talked to her casually about it (she's very nice) and have been round when it's been particularly loud but it's EVERY evening. Neighbour has been staying at her boyfriend's Saturday nights so the shitting music has become a Sunday morning regular too!

He's not playing it late into the evening but it's during the toddlers' bedtimes. It doesn't often disturb them if I'm honest, I just find it incredibly irritating.

I feel like I'm being unreasonable because he's 15 and playing music which isn't having an impact but I also find it so bloody annoying, I don't want to listen to shit music every evening.

CalF123 Mon 21-May-18 05:41:13

YABVVU

Your PFB's bedtime doesn't dictate what other people can do in their own house during the daytime.

PonyPals Mon 21-May-18 05:44:35

I would be really really shitty too. Just coz it's daytime doesn't mean he should be playing shitty music. Have a chat to her to see if it can be every other day or so.

HunnidBands Mon 21-May-18 06:20:58

You are absolutely NOT being unreasonable. Get on the phone to the environmental health. Why should his enjoyment of his music every fucking night usurp your right to enjoy peace and quiet?

Ignore CalF123.typical entitled idiot.

HunnidBands Mon 21-May-18 06:23:17

Btw, he doesn’t have any rights to do this, although some people might try to tell you they can do what they want between the hours of 7-11. They can’t. It’s not a god given right to impinge on everyone else’s peace just because it’s daytime.

Graphista Mon 21-May-18 06:25:41

Yes even during daytime hours there's limits on dB level and persistent nuisance.

Have a more assertive word with her again and if things don't improve contact council.

caithuait Mon 21-May-18 06:25:48

I think yabu. 6 - 8 pm is fine.

SD1978 Mon 21-May-18 06:30:51

If I’m reading right- it doesn’t actually affect your children- you juts don’t like the two hours choice of shitty music choices? I think you are being unreasonable then. It’s not disturbing your kids, you juts don’t like it. By all means talk to the Mum again if you want to, but I think you’ll have a hard time proving it as a nusence

P0DS Mon 21-May-18 06:37:23

I hate this as well op.
I can not bear our next door neighbours when they used to do this every weekend. Yeah it's the weekend and woo it's turned down at 11pm butit's not the point. I do not want my entire weekend dominated by other people's racket.
I lived in a joined house when I was very young and next door would blast Ashanti for two hours when they got home from work. So what it wasn't late. So what it was switched off. If you're joined by a wall to others then you can wear headphones.
Nobody needs to blast noise. It's not normal household noise.
You want to have a party then there are plenty of nightclubs.

SharronNeedles Mon 21-May-18 06:53:20

I would flag it again with her. If you can't, record it too so she can hear how loud it is. Tell her that a pair of good headphones are probably needed at this stage but that you will have to take this further if it doesn't get dealt with

matchingpjs Mon 21-May-18 07:06:18

People that suggest we have 'the right' to do what we want in our own homes regardless of how it impacts on neighbours are wrong
I had a group of female students living next door to me for a year. They played their music so loud that my floorboards were vibrating. This was during the daytime, evenings weren't so much of an issue for some reason. I worked from home and it disturbed me. After contacting their landlord, him having a word with them but it still continuing I contacted the council and their university. The council visited and heard the noise, I kept a diary for a couple of weeks and I'm not sure what happened then but the music stopped being an issue.
we all have a right to enjoy our home but not to the detriment of neighbours. Please contact the local council if polite requests are working. Teenagers find it hard to empathise at the best of times and I'm imagining your teen neighbour is not being spiteful just putting his own wants first every time

LakieLady Mon 21-May-18 07:07:41

Btw, he doesn’t have any rights to do this, although some people might try to tell you they can do what they want between the hours of 7-11.

This.

When I work with clients whose tenancies are at risk because of noise nuisance, they always trot this one out.

It's right up there with common-law spouses having rights when it comes to their partners' home in the list of most commonly-held misapprehensions.

ICantCopeAnymore Mon 21-May-18 08:29:26

CalF is a renowned Mumsnet twat.

If he's causing you a disturbance, I'd try and have a final word with his mother, tell her that you're sorry but you're going to have to get environmental health involved if it carries on and perhaps that will be enough for him to turn it down a bit.

KERALA1 Mon 21-May-18 08:32:10

YAsoNBU. She needs to get him some headphones. You need to make this their problem. One more polite but firm conversation let them know you are going to report so they have a chance to sort then definitely report if they don't. So selfish.

Cornettoninja Mon 21-May-18 08:44:46

I would hate that too but as it's not affecting your dc's sleep and it's relatively early I think, unfortunately, yabu.

Could you speak to your neighbour and ask if speakers could be moved away from any shared walls? That might make a difference. It would at least highlight it as an annoyance.

If it's any comfort, in a couple of years he can confine his shite music to a car.

GrumpyBagFace Mon 21-May-18 09:01:57

I do feel a bit of a killjoy and it isn't affecting my kids' sleep but it is affecting me!

I actually quite like house music but I don't want to hear a synthesised base blasting through the wall every shitting evening!

I wouldn't mind if it was less frequent.

I'll chat to his mum again but he's doing it when she's out so I don't think has much control over it.

9amTrain Mon 21-May-18 12:29:56

Yanbu. He needs to wear headphones.

Aprilmightbemynewname Mon 21-May-18 12:36:41

Find him an offer on some headphones. Print it off and post it through the door.

fleshmarketclose Mon 21-May-18 12:43:36

I have a fifteen year old and would want to know if my teen was disturbing the neighbours. If he doesn't do it when she is there then it's likely she doesn't allow it and won't want him doing it when she isn't.

Bearhunter09 Mon 21-May-18 12:47:07

I hate this and I hate the people who have the attitude of “people can do what they like in their own homes”’ they are the people that tell their kids, yeah do what you want fuck everyone else. People should consider what impact their actions have on others. Unfortunately shitty parents bringing up their kids with the above attitude are causing untold stress to numerous other people

Fairyliz Mon 21-May-18 12:53:38

Umm I'm not sure. This weekend the weather has been glorious so I wanted to sit out in my garden and read quietly. However I couldn't because next doors children were screaming and shrieking in their garden all day.
This happens every time the weather is nice, so I can never enjoy my garden. Shall I complain?
Whose 'rights' come first, mine to have peace in my garden or the neighbours children to have fun outside?

Graphista Mon 21-May-18 12:54:27

Of course she has control over it! She can cut the plug off whatever he's playing it on if necessary!

She needs to discipline her child properly. It's not acceptable to continually disturb neighbours like this. Is there someone the other side too?

Murane Mon 21-May-18 13:05:04

Put your music on even louder. Preferably at 8am on a weekend when he's asleep. I'm sick of inconsiderate people who think they can do what they like with no concern for how their behaviour impacts others. It might not be illegal but that doesn't mean it's polite and decent.

Gromance02 Mon 21-May-18 13:29:48

I don't care what time of day it is, you shouldn't be able to hear your neighbour's music. It is utterly selfish. Seeing as the OP has already tried the reasonable approach, I would retaliate by blasting music at 5am.

GrumpyBagFace Mon 21-May-18 17:59:33

I saw the neighbour/Mum at lunch time and said the music was becoming a bit much. She apologised and said she'd have a word.

5:55pm and the music has started!!

I assume she hasn't had the opportunity to talk to him yet as she'll be working now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: