Talk

Advanced search

To think parents really should put some clothing on kids in public?

(173 Posts)
somesetmeadow Sun 20-May-18 08:47:28

At the beach, water fountains in parks and so on, there’s always at least one parent who lets their children charge around without a stitch on.

I just find it really inappropriate. Prepared for a flaming but I do!

Soubriquet Sun 20-May-18 08:48:12

Why? It's a child having fun in water.

Idontbelieveinthemoon Sun 20-May-18 08:48:51

What age are you talking? I've two boys who given chance would charge about in the nip constantly. "No naked bottoms on the sofa" is an actual rule in our house.

RebelRogue Sun 20-May-18 08:49:05

In the supermarket? Yes.
At the beach? Let them have fun(just don't forget the suncream)

Aprilmightbemynewname Sun 20-May-18 08:49:10

I also would never offer my dc up for a pervert to view naked.

TwitterQueen1 Sun 20-May-18 08:49:15

Why does it make you uncomfortable OP? I was that parent when mine were young.

OwlinaTree Sun 20-May-18 08:49:20

Yes, wearing pants isn't going to run their fun is it?

ragged Sun 20-May-18 08:49:46

Depends on age.... somewhere past 5 it gets inappropriate. Could not care less about under 6s.

Pengggwn Sun 20-May-18 08:49:52

Wouldn't myself, not because it is inherently 'inappropriate' (it's a baby or child) but because there are so many creeps out there.

somesetmeadow Sun 20-May-18 08:50:27

I don’t know Twitter

But it does. I feel I have to look elsewhere perhaps.

TheMasterNotMargarita Sun 20-May-18 08:50:52

Nudity is not abnormal.
Kids grow up way too fast these days, let them be carefree and naked while they can!
At a beach or park as you describe it is not inappropriate.
Different in a shopping centre or museum.

Hideandgo Sun 20-May-18 08:50:59

Meh, I’d like to see the world unclench a bit, especially in relation to children, so seeing a few under 5’s romping around in a fountain starkers would be totally fine with me.

Unclench OP.

Sirzy Sun 20-May-18 08:51:28

Unless the child is of an age to not want to then I can’t see any issue with it. For most children they will soon make it clear if they want to cover up or don’t

chocolatestrawberries Sun 20-May-18 08:52:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hideandgo Sun 20-May-18 08:52:57

April, I’m afraid you’re ‘offering your child up for a pervert to view’ fully dressed on a day to day basis. Maybe you should all stay inside.

boopsy Sun 20-May-18 08:54:05

Private areas should be covered as how else are kids going to get the message that privates are private and not for anybody else except them to look at? If they are allowed to show them off they are not going to be shocked or uncomfortable if someone unsavoury asks to see them.

caperberries Sun 20-May-18 08:54:20

It doesn't bother me personally, but when I read in the news about the extent of closet pedophilia and the thousands of perverts sharing images online etc it does give me pause for thought. Places where young dc are likely to be naked will presumably attract these sorts of people.

DragonMummy1418 Sun 20-May-18 08:55:40

I don't want people taking photos of my children in the nude, god knows what kinds of creeps are out there. A water nappy for young ones at least or swim costume.
It doesn't spoil their fun.

somesetmeadow Sun 20-May-18 08:55:58

They do yes caper

I’ve always been a prude chocolate grin

Parentingissotough Sun 20-May-18 08:56:20

I can completely see the point about not wanting people who may seek out naked children to be able to see your DC naked.

That said, I let mine run about on the beach naked. When he’s older I will probably get him to keep his pants on but whether I can manage that or not is a different question! He’s a toddler - let him enjoy the freedom and let his dad and I keep an eye out for anyone starring.

LostInShoebiz Sun 20-May-18 08:56:57

I agree with the PP about mixed messages. In the garden or something, fine, but if privates are private why is it a ok to be seeing hundreds of them in a public fountain in the middle of the city or a park?

Metoodear Sun 20-May-18 08:58:38

I have 3&5 year olds the older one were definitely staring to encourage knickers on at beaches,splash park but younger one butt naked for her most times

MyBreadIsEggy Sun 20-May-18 09:00:01

My dcs would be naked all the time if I let them. They really do not like wearing clothes blush
In our garden/friends gardens etc I let them do whatever they want, but at a public fountain/pool etc I would insist on a swimming nappy at the least.

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Sun 20-May-18 09:01:26

They're kids. Don't be weird.

dayinlifeof Sun 20-May-18 09:01:31

Never, sand in a boys private area is apparently very uncomfortable.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: