Talk

Advanced search

Leaving London

(315 Posts)
siwel123 Sat 19-May-18 23:21:52

Hi all, don't shoot I know there's life outside of London grin.
Me, my wife and 2 kids currently live in London and the wife has finally agreed to start looking at other places to live but as were both civil servants we have a limited range of places to choose from.

The options we've been given are Leeds or Manchester. AIBU to ask which would you choose and Why? And also what areas would you live in. We would have a 500k budget for the house so any suggestions appreciated.

Fruitcorner123 Sat 19-May-18 23:24:06

Leeds because it's a 'prettier' city, a safer city centre (according to crime stats) and more central than Manchester. 500k will get you a fabulous house in either destination.

siwel123 Sat 19-May-18 23:28:23

Thanks @Fruitcorner123.

siwel123 Sat 19-May-18 23:38:27

Anymore help appreciated

Shiftymake Sat 19-May-18 23:59:27

Been to both and if having to choose between the two I would pick Leeds. It is nicer and probably better for children to grow up in then Manchester.

siwel123 Sun 20-May-18 00:02:11

@Shiftymake. Can I ask what you mean by nicer?

siwel123 Sun 20-May-18 00:45:42

Anymore help appreciated

Ohsuchaperfectday Sun 20-May-18 00:57:27

Why another city? Neither will match London in any way. A move to the country side or somewhere like Bath.. Chester.. Etc but another huge city but not as good why!!

siwel123 Sun 20-May-18 01:01:03

@ohsuchaperfectday. Why?
First of all those are the 2 places we've been offered to work in and is rather not have a massive commute from the country.
Also...
1. I would rather not live in a shoebox excuse of a house.
2.i want easy access to countryside.
3. I want easy access to city amenities.

Basically I like city aspect of living but I like countryside access.

siwel123 Sun 20-May-18 01:05:40

@Ohsuchaperfectday

Eastcoastmost Sun 20-May-18 02:10:30

I’d live in Holmfirth and commute to either.

LePamplemoussse Sun 20-May-18 03:49:46

Sorry but neither Leeds or Manchester compare to London. If you want access to city as well as countryside I would move to the outskirts of London or to a commuter town.

crunchymint Sun 20-May-18 04:05:19

I prefer Leeds, but Manchester is more like a mini London.

HRTpatch Sun 20-May-18 04:10:20

Look at North /west Leeds...great countryside and still easy to get into town.

cazzyg Sun 20-May-18 04:15:23

I can’t advise about Leeds or Manchester but I did make the move out of London to a more northerly location and wanted to reassure you that in terms of quality of life, it has been better for us.

I do miss London. I miss the bustle and excitement of living in one of the biggest cities in the world but luckily get to visit frequently due to my job.

The positives for me have been more affordable housing - 4 bed detached house costs less in mortgage than my rent on a 1 bed flat, cheaper childcare, more disposable income because of cheaper living costs, access to countryside, garden for DD to play in, no hassle over school catchments (not going to be the same everywhere), more freedom for DD to play outside as it’s safer here and health as both DD and I are asthmatic.

It’s been a positive move for us overall.

americanlife Sun 20-May-18 04:29:22

Live in York and just drive to Leeds each day- it is only 20 or so miles from York.

nursy1 Sun 20-May-18 04:31:18

Leeds. With your budget look at Chapel Allerton. If you want to go the whole hog and be somewhere more rural try Harewood ( still shops and pubs) or Ilkley is on direct train in and very lovely.

nursy1 Sun 20-May-18 04:31:44

Traffic round York is horrendous

thatmustbenigelwiththebrie Sun 20-May-18 05:11:26

Leeds is much more compact. Easier to get around and out of.

LOliver123 Sun 20-May-18 06:22:35

I don’t know Leeds. But would recommend South Manchester - good links to city centre, good schools, and easy access to countryside. Altrincham, Timperley Didsbury, Chorlton all good to look at. Also the following areas in Stockport - are good for families - Bramhall , Heaton Mersey , Cheadle Hulme , Gatley

speakout Sun 20-May-18 06:25:48

the wife

hmm

speakout Sun 20-May-18 06:39:37

I wouldn't.

There is very little outside London.
I have been to the North, it's very grim. I even went as far as Scotland once and I still shudder at the memory.
Only white bread. Very few people can read. Don't expect any internet.

ImNotMeImSomeoneElse Sun 20-May-18 06:43:14

Yeah, I'm in Scotland and I have to say the lack of Internet and inability to read makes life challenging.

Opening the right tins for dinner - the other day we had kidney beans with our rice pudding. I thought it was peaches.

BarbaraofSevillle Sun 20-May-18 06:48:20

Live in York and just drive to Leeds each day- it is only 20 or so miles from York

Ridiculous suggestion. That journey will take hours at rush hour and parking in Leeds will cost a fortune. City to city train could work depending on location of work and home.

Of course nowhere is 'the same' as London. But unless you are loaded, it's a bit daft to disregard the very big advantage of more affordable housing in the other cities. £500k in Leeds will get a nice family house in a good area. What does that buy in London or the suggested commuter towns, the latter needing big travel costs on top.

I live in Leeds. It's a great city. There's the Royal Armouries in the city centre, another 3 national museums within an hours travel. Great shopping, bars, restaurants, theatre etc. City parks, access to proper wilderness in the Dales and Peak District, and an annual international professional stage cycling race.

OP as well as the existing suggestions, also look at Horsforth, which is often mentioned as one of the most desirable places to live in the UK, all things considered.

But also look at the school situation. Schools in North Leeds are oversubscribed so you might struggle to get DCs into your preferred option.

speakout Sun 20-May-18 06:50:30

ImNotMeImSomeoneElse exactly.
Pictures on tins are best for people in the North.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: