Talk

Advanced search

To expect car insurance for less than £1,200 for my teenager?!?

(78 Posts)
themueslicamel Wed 16-May-18 14:04:19

Hi,

I have been looking through the threads for newbie car insurance and have processed quotes through for DS (17 next month) and for a £500 with a similar excess, car in group 1 with 4,000 miles a year limit and a box fitted, I can't see any change from £1,200-£1,300 a year?!?

I have a Greater London postcode in a low crime area, and have moved his age back 6 months with a full "license from" date of a month ago to get a fair illustration.

I have tried Marmalade and Insure the box, AIBU to expect something for just under a bag of sand?smile

Any other suggestions?

Aprilmightbemynewname Wed 16-May-18 14:04:49

Be grateful!! My ds paid £3800!!

Yogagirl123 Wed 16-May-18 14:06:51

Ouch! Watching, my DS1 is about to start driving lessons.

ihatethecold Wed 16-May-18 14:07:02

We went with Tesco
8000 miles per year. It has a black box that rewards you for good driving.
1300 for the first year.
I was ok with that. It will go down over the years as he builds up his no claims.

Babyroobs Wed 16-May-18 14:07:04

I think my ds paid around £1600 and has one of these black box things that limits mileage and it has bene a bit of a nightmare constantly having to top miles up ( steer clear ! ). Car insurance for teens is shocking but then when I see the dreadful way that a lot of young men drive I can understand why. It's a shame that they all have to suffer for it though !

themueslicamel Wed 16-May-18 14:10:09

Thing is, we intend on using the car as well, so a black box with limited mileage will gave an impact on this.

Assume you can't insure the car separately and switch the box off when we drive it?

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Wed 16-May-18 14:17:20

Ha ha good one OP!

I’ve had my licence for 18 years but had five years with no car of my own. I was regularly driving hire cars. Because I had no no claims, my insurance was £1200.

So - yeah. YABU.

BlueBug45 Wed 16-May-18 14:21:02

YABU - insurers really don't want to insure those under 25 let alone under 21, as they are a massive third party risk.

araiwa Wed 16-May-18 14:22:52

Why are you going to be using his car?

You can only insure a vehicle once and being able to turn off a black box defeats the purpose of having them?

GlitterFart Wed 16-May-18 14:27:31

You’re lucky to get quoted anything under £1500, but the cost does come down significantly with each year of experience and no claims accrued you’ll be pleased to know!

19lottie82 Wed 16-May-18 14:29:09

For a 17 year old boy that’s cheap! Seriously! I’m shocked that you’re shocked!

TheWoollybacksWife Wed 16-May-18 14:30:12

DD was insured with Ingenie for her first year after passing her test. It was £1100 or so with a black box but she got discounts for safe driving and it dropped to £580 for the second year.

BackforGood Wed 16-May-18 14:34:58

That is cheap. A huge amount depends on postcode too.
Insurance companies don't really want to insure young drivers, so the prices are very high.

Magpiemagpie Wed 16-May-18 14:40:56

That’s actually really really bloody cheap. If I were you I would bite that quote off with your husbands dick

Have you put him in as a learner driver or someone who has actually passed his test and has a licence as the difference on a learner driver is actually a lot cheaper than a new driver because a learner driver is always accompanied

If you put the car insurance in his own name try adding two adults over 40 who have been drIving for a long time
I added my father 71 and my DH who has two no fault claims and my sons dropped by over 1000
I found Hastings and admiral to be the cheapest
This is not fronting either fronting is when you do it the other way around and insures are wise to this

What sort of car is it you really want the something like a 1litre engine or something really boring
Something like a Volvo as it’s seen as safe and boring whereas a Vauxhall Cora’s is seen as a boy racer cars

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 16-May-18 14:50:04

Have you tried increasing the estimated mileage? Counterintuitively, if you don't drive 'enough' they think you are higher risk because you aren't considered to be getting enough experience.

Try DS as the main driver, you, or DH as seconds/third drivers and up the mileage to 6-8000 per year.

But yes, £1300 for a 17 YO is well below average. Your area will probably count against you too. You might be in a low crime area, but if you are in or near a busy area, there are plenty of people to crash into and them crash into you. Low area premiums are those where there aren't many people around, like remote islands.

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 16-May-18 14:51:50

What insurance companies fear with young drivers is serious collisions with several passengers where they have to pay decades of care costs and compensation for lost earnings for seriously injured passengers.

Payouts for those types of claims run into millions.

megletthesecond Wed 16-May-18 14:54:26

That sounds cheap I'm afraid.
My DS is 11 and I'm already starting to squirrel away money towards his car insurance.

theSFclub Wed 16-May-18 14:54:39

That is cheap, I'm not sure what you were expecting.

ACurlyWurly Wed 16-May-18 14:57:54

Wow that sounds cheap!
My DS is in army, job is driver and he drives all vehicles from cars through to tanks and HGVs. His car insurance for 1.1 £500 corsa was £2100 with black box! (one cheeky fucker quote was £17,000!!!! I guess they really didnt want to insure him haha)

ChinwagCharlieBear Wed 16-May-18 15:01:09

I think that's quite a good price. I'm 23 and have just insured myself on my first car, 1700 I think, with a black box and an old car.

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 16-May-18 15:02:04

Some information here

What type of insurance are you looking at because it says that comprehensive is cheaper than third party or third party fire and theft confused.

Frax Wed 16-May-18 15:03:09

It's not cheap. I'm sure you could do better. I've insured two 17 year olds for less than that. Try Endsleigh or Direct Line. Or one of ours went with Admiral on a multi car policy with my car.

Frax Wed 16-May-18 15:05:25

I think I'd the car is a worthless old wreck the insurance is higher because there is a possibility of less careful driving / parking? So your £5000 car isn't necessarily dearer to insure than a £500 banger.

nokidshere Wed 16-May-18 15:05:53

I got my 18 yr olds from Peoples choice, him as owner/main driver, dh as named driver and no black box for £898

CaptainCabinets Wed 16-May-18 15:06:03

That’s honestly a brilliant price to insure a lad of his age!

Insurers class males <25 as ‘high risk’ drivers so their premiums are usually well into the thousands. £1200 is cheap!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: