Talk

Advanced search

Shit! I'm actually obese.

(148 Posts)
pigmcpigface Wed 25-Apr-18 16:17:17

I know IABU to register shock at this, but I just got on the scales for the first time in nine months. My BMI is 30.5! That makes me officially obese for the first time in my life.

Shit, shit, shit.

I'm so ashamed! I can't actually believe it's got this out of control. Or rather, I had deliberately avoided confronting this issue until today.

I need to get my act together and make some positive changes to my lifestyle.

summercat Wed 25-Apr-18 16:18:43

Don't worry sweetie! smile Doesn't sound AWFUL.

What is your height and weight then (if you don't mind me asking.)

pigmcpigface Wed 25-Apr-18 16:20:10

I'm 158cm and 12 stone.

12 STONE! I nearly hit the ceiling in shock.

Despite trying desperately to find a problem with the scales on which to blame this sorry state of affairs, they are actually working properly.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 25-Apr-18 16:20:29

First day of the rest of your life. Don't be ashamed! That's silly (and shame makes pies happen). Dust yourself off and get healthy.

WhatCanIDoNowPlease Wed 25-Apr-18 16:22:17

So 5ft 2? That's not too bad. I'm heavier and taller but also obese. Now is the time to start eating less I guess.

travailtotravel Wed 25-Apr-18 16:22:58

If it helps 12 stone is my goal weight right now. At least it has registered with you.

Bambamber Wed 25-Apr-18 16:23:46

At least it's a step in the right direction as it's obviously forced you to confront the problem

pigmcpigface Wed 25-Apr-18 16:23:56

Oooh, no - I'm 5 foot 4. I must have converted to centimetres wrongly, sorry!

I have already cut down massively on my drinking - I'm allowing myself half a bottle of wine a week, and that's it. This will help hugely, as I have been consuming an awful lot of alcohol calories over the winter. It's been a really tough one, with the house torn apart by building work, and I'm afraid I've been using wine to cope. So that positive change has already happened.

I need to do some proper cardiovascular exercise, and to diet.

whatithink Wed 25-Apr-18 16:24:04

Snap. I knew I'd put on weight but until yesterday had never worked out my BMI or looked at a calculator. Turns out I am just tipping into the obese category. Just made me more depressed and I ate more comfort food smile

shelentei Wed 25-Apr-18 16:24:51

Are you healthy? Because I don't think bmi is accurate tbh. My friend has a dd who is two, and they said she was obese because she's like an inch too short or some bollucks like that. She's not fat at all.

pigmcpigface Wed 25-Apr-18 16:26:51

shelentei - No, I'm not really healthy. I'm not entirely a wreck either. I mean, I can walk 6 miles fairly briskly without a problem, but I lack strength and stamina when it comes to more heavy cardiovascular exercise. I would struggle to run the same distance.

Progenitor Wed 25-Apr-18 16:27:25

I feel your pain, I am edging into obese territory, I am 5ft 3in and 11st 11. My DH doesnt believe me when I say I am obese, as I am a size 14 and carry most of my weight on my gut, my arms and legs and arse are slim! I am trying to lose some weight for summer but have health problems so its hard.

pigmcpigface Wed 25-Apr-18 16:27:28

I definitely do need to lose weight. It's not an optical illusion or one of those cases where I am a bodybuilder or something.

butTIRFlies Wed 25-Apr-18 16:29:18

Surely it can't be that much of a surprise?

IHaveACuntingPlan Wed 25-Apr-18 16:29:29

I'm the same: 5'2" and around 11 1/2stone. In 2016 I lost 2 stones but from June last year I gave up for some unknown reason and have piled it all back on again. I need to start again but the older I get, the harder it is.

summercat Wed 25-Apr-18 16:30:52

So you will come up on the official charts as obese, and your doctor will say you are too, but really, 5 ft 4, and 12 stone, isn't that bad at all! smile

If you have been a fair bit slimmer, like 9 stone, then 12 stone will feel HOOOOOJ, but it's not too bad.

I am not sure I take these weight charts seriously anyway, as they say I should be between 8 st 2 and 9 st 10. I am 10 and a half stone (and 5 ft 4,) and look fine tbh (and I feel OK, with no health issues, and normal bloody pressure!) At 8 st 2 lbs, I would look ILL!

These same charts say that my husband should be between 9 st 12 and 11 st 7, and he is a middle aged man who is 5 ft 9 and a half. He would look DEAD at 9 st 12! (He is 12 st 11 and looks great, so where they are getting 9 st 12 from, I have no chuffing idea!!!!)

Not many suggestions for you, except cut the carbs, cut portion sizes a bit, and maybe walk when you can (and cycle and swim.)

It's an ongoing battle, staying slim-ish!!!

summercat Wed 25-Apr-18 16:32:18

For the record, the OP got her height wrong when converting cm, she is 5 ft 4. smile

MyotherUsernameisaPun Wed 25-Apr-18 16:33:26

This was me in January OP so I know the feeling well! That was a real wake up call for me but I've lost 23lb since then and already feeling soooo much better! You can do this!!!

pigmcpigface Wed 25-Apr-18 16:33:28

OK, so I calculated that if I lose 2lbs a week (yes, I know that's a really tough goal, but it's doable) I can be in the healthy weight (just) range by September.

pigmcpigface Wed 25-Apr-18 16:34:21

myotherusename - that's AMAZING! Well done you. And how encouraging to hear a positive story. Do you mind me asking what you're doing to get such fabulous results? (Don't worry if that's too personal a question to answer online!)

Bluntness100 Wed 25-Apr-18 16:38:49

I'm not a huge fan of the bmi calculators as well, but yes 12 stone at only five foot four is quite overweight, you knew that already. So just use this as the kick up the bum you need.

Pick some old clothing you want to get back into, or an event you need to attend, or even think of summer clothes and then work out how you will do it. Low carb high fat works for me.

You don't have a huge hill to climb here, I don't know how much you want to lose, but say two stone, that's 28 pounds. At two pounds a week, you will be ten stone by August can enjoy the summer.

In addition, every day you get a bit smaller. I wouldn't stress, just get on with it.💪🏼

summercat Wed 25-Apr-18 16:38:55

What do you want to get down to OP?

ALemonyPea Wed 25-Apr-18 16:40:09

You’ve done the hardest part and accepted you need to lose weight. Your plan of 2lb a week sounds good.

I need to lose 21ish lb to get back in to a healthy BMI. Been pissing about since January but have my head firmly in the game now.

Good luck op!

pigmcpigface Wed 25-Apr-18 16:40:28

summercat - the healthy weight range for my height tops out at 138 lbs. That's my initial goal. If I could reach that I would feel pretty chuffed. It's a 40lb loss.

10 years ago, I was 100 lbs. sad

LollaRossa Wed 25-Apr-18 16:41:48

so you will come up on the official charts as obese, and your doctor will say you are too, but really, 5 ft 4, and 12 stone, isn't that bad at all!

This is why we have an epidemic of diabetes.
Of COURSE it's bad. Stop being in denial.

I am 5 3" and weight 7st 8lbs. I have all my life been between 7 4 and 7 12. I am petite. BMI 19.

DP is 5 10 and weighs 10st 10.

I have every sympathy with your OP for being shocked but don't be 'comforted' by posters who say you are not 'bad'.

Just start to tackle it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: