Talk

Advanced search

To take offence at shitty comment

(152 Posts)
Happyhippy45 Wed 25-Apr-18 12:51:06

I posted on Facebook about something I'd bought with my birthday money.
I've been unable to work for over 2 years due to my disability and my days are difficult to fill as I'm more or less housebound. I bought an arts and crafts item to "keep me busy."
My SIL "liked" my post and then commented something along the lines of "very good, get on with it, but isn't it time you went back to work?"
It was followed by some hearts so does that mean there was no malice intended?
Her mum is always asking me if I'm back to work yet.
I'm trying not to get riled about it but I think it was such an insensitive comment. Should I forgive her ignorance or get her told!

KC225 Wed 25-Apr-18 12:54:09

Reply. 'Isn't it about time you kept your snout out'. With lots of floating hearts and smiley face.

What a cheeky mare. Enjoy your craft items. Hope you feel better soon.

windermerebell Wed 25-Apr-18 12:54:38

Get her told op.
I am in the same position and I actually snapped at SIL that if she could find anyone who would employee me when I am having over 15 seizures a week and soiling and peeing myself during them then to be my guest and I would start on Monday.
She has never commented again

Piffle11 Wed 25-Apr-18 12:55:56

Yes it's insensitive - it's also very passive-aggressive. 'I'm going to say something bitchy but because I've put hearts after it, I can act all innocent if you dare to challenge me'.

Singlebutmarried Wed 25-Apr-18 12:56:13

If it’s well known you’re housebound and unable to go to work, reply with a pithy comment along the lines of....

....aw I’d love to go to work hun, but until someone can fix my xxxxxx I’ll stick with my craft kit.

StealthPolarBear Wed 25-Apr-18 12:57:39

What a bitch

FreudianSlurp Wed 25-Apr-18 12:57:46

Reply in an equally PA way, "Thank you Dr SIL xxxxx"

TigerlilyMoon Wed 25-Apr-18 12:58:10

How could that comment NOT be said with malice?? Horrible, horrible thing to say to someone.. so publicly too! I'd tell her to shove those feeble heart emojis somewhere the sun doesnt shine!

Idontdowindows Wed 25-Apr-18 13:05:13

Unbelievably ridiculous.

"Isn't it time you learned to stop making these ignorant comments SIL? xxx heart heart heart"

swingofthings Wed 25-Apr-18 13:07:42

She clearly doesn't believe that you're too ill to work but she should keep her thoughts to herself if anything out of respect for her brother.
Unfriend her.

PatchworkWomble Wed 25-Apr-18 13:08:45

She must have an issue with you not working. I agree with replying with a comment like windermerebell suggests. The hearts are just passive aggressive. Does she have an understanding of why you have had to stop working? Tbh even if she doesn't, the comment crosses the line and is rude.

harlaandgoddard Wed 25-Apr-18 13:13:56

She’s a bitch, even if you weren’t disabled it’s bloody rude to write that on a public forum. I’d have to reply back.

Waggingmyginger Wed 25-Apr-18 13:14:46

"Right after you start teaching social graces SILxxxx"

TomRavenscroft Wed 25-Apr-18 13:15:19

What a cunt (her not you). Describe one of the effects of your disability in great and unpleasant detail a la windermere's example, then block the twat.

MirriVan Wed 25-Apr-18 13:16:24

OoooooOOOOOOoooh what a bitch!
Is she normally a bitch?

Happyhippy45 Wed 25-Apr-18 13:17:55

I was thinking of posting something along the lines of ""go back to work? Why? I'm having far too much fun hobbling about and being stuck indoors all day."
Mind you, she might take me seriously.
She's not on Facebook much, lives in different country to me but is the same nationality as me, so it's not a culture thing.
My other sister in laws lovely btw.

Happyhippy45 Wed 25-Apr-18 13:19:46

Yes she can be a bitch but this is the first time it's been directed at me. She usually saves it for closer family members.

MirriVan Wed 25-Apr-18 13:20:14

What are the arts and crafts things you bought? I'd use them to make a statement.
If it was cross stitch, for example, make this and then post the pic as a reply.

MirriVan Wed 25-Apr-18 13:22:25

Modelling clay?
One o'these

RB68 Wed 25-Apr-18 13:23:12

I wouldn't be bothered to waste time on her - just type fuck off and die followed by a few hearts #BFF what a cow

Happyhippy45 Wed 25-Apr-18 13:23:20

Hahahaha brilliant Mirri
It's a knitting thing and I don't have the skills yet.......though this could motivate me

MirriVan Wed 25-Apr-18 13:27:08

Aaaah, then tell her you'll get a job riiiight after you've finished knitting her this hat.

MirriVan Wed 25-Apr-18 13:27:51

HAT

SoaveSally Wed 25-Apr-18 13:30:03

MirriVan grin

expatinscotland Wed 25-Apr-18 13:31:18

Reply what KC wrote. And then delete her and her mother.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: