Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to think Abidec is disgusting?

(84 Posts)
VitaminDb12etc Wed 25-Apr-18 09:36:03

My 2 ds2 & ds4 hate the stuff, currently giving forcing 10ml each per day down them. They’re good with other medicines but it seems they think this stuff is is poison! Is there a better tasting, easier to administer alternative? (HV says this is the best as it has the highest VitD) It’s also £4 a bottle and with the two of them having it a bottle is gone in a week. Obviously it’s for their health so I’m happy to suck up the cost if necessary but I feel so bad when it’s medicine time sad

britnay Wed 25-Apr-18 10:26:04

Just try a different brand. There is no point in forcing it on them. have you tried mixing it with yoghurt?
Or perhaps let them outside a bit more for some sunshine smile

Hereshopingforimprovement Wed 25-Apr-18 10:36:46

I add it to milk. But to be honest my son will eat or drink pretty much anything!

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Wed 25-Apr-18 11:05:55

There's a Boot's own brand which is orange and much nicer.

Pinkbutton85 Wed 25-Apr-18 11:13:56

My two used to love it when they were smaller. Then we switched to chewable ones for a while and then they wouldn’t touch it. Which I do understand as I think the smell alone is rank! But now it goes in their milk and they don’t notice

FizzyGreenWater Wed 25-Apr-18 11:14:41

Wow do they really need this?!

How about healthy food, sunshine and lots of sleep?

FlaviaAlbia Wed 25-Apr-18 11:16:01

There's a raspberry Abidec that's nicer than the orange one, you get 15 doses for about £5.

VitaminDb12etc Wed 25-Apr-18 11:30:51

Britnay, that’s how it feels with this stuff yes, no point forcing it. They get out and about as much as we can but (fizzygreenwater this may answer your reply too) HV insists that they take a supplement until age 5, it’s a big ‘thing’ in our area.
And tbh I think I like the thought of them having the vits as then if they have a fussy food day week I know they’re getting them from somewhere.

Flavia, this IS the raspberry flavour! Don’t tell me there’s a worse tasting version? shock

Ghoul, thanks, I’ll check out the boots one.

I suppose with the HV telling me this is the best that’s what I’m focusing on when I look at other brands. Some don’t have the same amount of VitD, others don’t contain the same other stuff (omega 6 & 9 for example)

FlaviaAlbia Wed 25-Apr-18 11:39:10

Well, the orange drops taste even more strongly of iron! You could always try that and then go back to the raspberry and they might greet it with relief then wink

mumofmunchkin Wed 25-Apr-18 11:42:47

I give mine (also 2 and 4) the halibo chewable vitamins. They say for 3+ but... they hated the abidec too. I stand over the 2 year old until I can see that he's eaten it - assuming that the main risk with under 3's is that a chewable sweet could be a choking hazard.

PinkSkyAtNightAngelDelight Wed 25-Apr-18 11:44:41

H&B do a vitamin D spray that just goes in the mouth and tastes orangey.

Ennirem Wed 25-Apr-18 11:45:41

Until you've tasted the Wellbaby stuff you don't know what disgusting is envy like mouldy coins dipped in botulous honey!

MrsPreston11 Wed 25-Apr-18 11:48:17

No it's disgusting. We swapped to the gummy bear type when DD1 was 2.5.

ConciseandNice Wed 25-Apr-18 11:50:35

Mine were ok with the grossness of Abidec until about 2.5. Now my kids just have the bassetts omega 3 and multivitamin chews. They’re great, vegetarian and even if not the same amount of vitamin d (I don’t know about this), it’s still enough.

Talith Wed 25-Apr-18 11:54:32

I've found pills marginally better value. The liquids are always vile and extortionate. Gummies just extortionate. Fortunately my kids can swallow a pill!

Pinkbutton85 Wed 25-Apr-18 14:08:59

FizzyGreenWater - If only you had the answers to everything in life! hmm

Buglife Wed 25-Apr-18 14:11:52

What is it, a multivitamin? I give DS the Boots own brand multivitamin gummies, they are a tiny pack of 5 gummy bears and e thinks he’s getting a massive treat but surprise... it’s vitamins! They are helpfully used as bribery to get dressed nicely in the morning.

mrsm43s Wed 25-Apr-18 15:42:00

Why is everyone giving their children vitamin supplements? Is this standard advice now?

I've never given my children vitamin supplements, and they're happy, healthy, high achieving teens now. Surely a healthy balance diet and plenty of fresh air, exercise and sunshine (in moderation) is far better than supplements? I understand treating a deficiency or supplements for a specific situation (i.e. poor diet associated with sensory issues etc) but surely its not routinely necessary?

DameLillyTillicut Wed 25-Apr-18 15:45:17

like mouldy coins dipped in botulous honey!
The best description ever. Time outside and lots of fruit and veg for my DC

neddle Wed 25-Apr-18 15:47:11

The hv can insist but they can’t make you give your kids vitamins.
Fwiw, I have five children and have never given vitamins to any of them. They don’t need them. I breastfed them all for two years and they eat proper food and go outside everyday.

melissasummerfield Wed 25-Apr-18 15:54:05

Why are you still seeing a HV for a 2 and 4 yo?

agentdaisy Wed 25-Apr-18 16:22:48

My HV tried to push me into giving abidec to my youngest. I tried giving him it once and he spat it out, I tried it and it was absolutely vile. I wouldn't take it if my life depended on it so I can't blame kids not wanting it.

I used to give my dcs the haliborange vitamin D gummies once they were able to chew and then moved onto vitamin D tablets once they could take them.

littletike Wed 25-Apr-18 16:26:34

DC hated the orange drops and raspberry syrup but I managed to get the lemon one last time and he loves it.

It's NHS/Dept of Health advice is vitamin D supplement until 4/5 years old

DinoSn0re Wed 25-Apr-18 16:27:56

Abidec is foul. We use WellKid.

Babyplaymat Wed 25-Apr-18 16:30:04

Is this a thing? The 7, 5 and 6 month old have never had vitamins here, maybe I need to research

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »