Advanced search

Shall I go to Citizens Advice?

(8 Posts)
roseblossom75 Tue 24-Apr-18 11:43:18

Not sure where to go from here as I have exhausted every avenue.
Having issues with my electric/gas supplier.
Last July (9 months ago) my boiler broke. I was quoted £4000 to have it repaired but advised that it wouldn't be worth it and I couldn't afford it anyway (single mum and full time carer to severely disabled child and have a mortgage).
I didn't qualify for any grants (tried lots of them all to no avail) and I just couldn't afford a new boiler.
I bought electric heaters and electric shower which have seen me through the winter.
I informed my fuel provider straight away of the change and that my electric bill would be higher and my gas considerably lower.
However they insisted on going by the estimated readings I had given previously whilst my boiler was up and running.
I have been paying £60 a month for gas over the past 9 months (the same amount I was paying when I had my boiler) but the only gas I have actually used over that time is the gas cooker.
I have lost count of the number of phone calls I have made to them over the months giving them my latest electric and gas readings and explaining my situation but these were all dismissed and they continued to go by the estimated bill based on previous readings before my circumstances changed.
I continued to pay the monthly estimated bills by direct debit (never missed a payment).
I emailed them several times but never had a response.
Someone came out in January to read the ELECTRIC metre but they refused to read the gas!!
I then made an appointment for someone to come out to read BOTH metres but no-one turned up.
I called them again to ask why and was told "You are not due to have your metres read". I have provided readings over the phone several times but they still go by previous estimates. I wanted them to read it for themselves.
They are now saying I owe them over £500 which completely baffles me as I have been through the winter with no gas boiler.
I accept my electric bill will be higher as I've been using the electric heaters and shower but surely the lack of gas should compensate that (but they are ignoring the gas readings).
So as I have a lot going on at the moment (unrelated to this) and am not well with anxiety/ panic attacks. I don't need any added stress I have set up a new direct debit to pay off the "debt" they say owe in monthly instalments and still paying £60 a month for gas.
I've just exhausted myself trying to make them listen.
Is it worth going to CAB or should I just forget about it and carrying on paying to avoid any added stress?
With everything else that's going on in my life it's a minor issue.

QuiteLikely5 Tue 24-Apr-18 11:45:52

Can you register for an online account and upload your own meter readings?

Then change supplier ASAP

BlankTimes Tue 24-Apr-18 11:51:22

CAB can help.

In the meantime, never just phone, always do a follow-up email saying who you spoke to, date and time, what was agreed and what was disputed, what actions are going to be taken and by whom.

That's called a paper trail and can be helpful when you need supporting evidence.

Good Luck flowers

bonbonlavie Tue 24-Apr-18 11:58:45

Who quoted you £4000 to replace a boiler? I’m pretty sure you could get it MUCH cheaper than that if it’s just the boiler you’re replacing.

roseblossom75 Tue 24-Apr-18 12:11:52

Thank you.
It was a local boiler repair company who quoted me that.
I never thought to question it at the time but I will get a second opinion.

Pumpkintopf Tue 24-Apr-18 12:36:20

Definitely go to CAB and put everything in writing as pp have said.

Swallowfalls Tue 24-Apr-18 12:52:26

I would change suppliers for your gas which will mean having to give the old supplier a final meter reading. Your gas account should then be masses in credit, which they will have to refund and you can then use to pay off the electric. Then I would change suppliers for electric too and send a stiff letter to the CEO of your old supplier stating why they have lost your business. Am angry on your behalf OP, stuff like this seems to happen a lot with energy companies and their incompetence can cause so much stress and hardship, it shouldn't be allowed angry

bonbonlavie Tue 24-Apr-18 13:02:24

Try to find a plumbing/central heating engineer who wants a homer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: