Talk

Advanced search

To take down ‘let’ sign

(94 Posts)
TeasndToast Tue 24-Apr-18 09:15:36

As soon as we move in?

We are moving into a rented property this weekend. Having been on MN for a long time I’m acutely aware of how much stigma surrounds renting. Once we move in I really do not want it being advertised to visitors that we rent. Most of our friends don’t even know.

Once we are in we are paying for the use of that property so don’t see that we should have to put up with a great big board letting randoms know our situation for weeks while we wait for someone to collect it.

I can’t find anything on line. Would we be within our rights to take it down and store it until someone organised its collection?

JenBarber Tue 24-Apr-18 09:17:02

Is there stigma around renting? I'm not sure there is. But take it down if you want.

specialsubject Tue 24-Apr-18 09:20:46

there is no stigma attached to renting unless you are stup id, or listenin g to th e stupid . lot of guardian swallowers and corbyn believers on here. know and exercise your tenant rights.

but take down the sign as soon as you are in, agents can take ages to collect.

excuse spaces, mn coding very bad.

Hotchox Tue 24-Apr-18 09:21:32

Yes, take it down on the way in on the first day. It's basically advertising for the estate agents by then. They'll ask for it back at some point, if they don't - free firewood :-)

mostdays Tue 24-Apr-18 09:22:46

If people judge you for renting are they really people whose opinion is worth caring about?

Needmoresleep Tue 24-Apr-18 09:23:06

Just take it down. Agents like the free advertising so are not motivated to fo anything. As a landlord, I normally take the sign down and dispose of it before the tenants move in. It is their home.

Ginorchoc Tue 24-Apr-18 09:24:23

It’ll be collected by the agents board contractor, if it not collected they can potentially be charged so it needs to be somewhere they can see it to collect. Stigma with renting?? Since when. Why would your visitors care if they are friends/family.

JenBarber Tue 24-Apr-18 09:26:08

I think there's a bit of stigma around being a LL, though.

Only because there's far too many shitty ones and letting agent fees are so high.

TeasndToast Tue 24-Apr-18 09:26:18

I wish I didn’t care but I do. There was a comment on here last week on another thread that said, “I sympathise OP, it is horrible owning your own home in a street full of renters”

I like to get on with my neighbours and I have these horrible visions of them seeing the sign and dreading the arrival of ‘the renters’.

BuntyII Tue 24-Apr-18 09:28:09

Well your neighbours will know you're renting because there will have been a To Let sign outside the house

FittonTower Tue 24-Apr-18 09:29:24

I had a huge row with one landlord because he put a permanent "to let" sign on my house - i wasn't planning on moving out so he was just using it as a way to advertise his buisiness.
My problem wasnt any stigma attached to renting (I've never come accross that) but it was a area full of student lets and they are targets for burglary - lax security and a house with 3 or 4 students will have 3 or 4 laptops, 3 or 4 tablets, 3 or 4 sets of speakers/radios etc. I didnt want my house - which at the time had none of these things burgled and a To Let sign was like a big "Come Burgle Me!" sign.....

TeasndToast Tue 24-Apr-18 09:29:38

I know Buntyll but it’s all about damage limitation. Hopefully some will have been on holiday (grasps at straws)

notacooldad Tue 24-Apr-18 09:30:21

Since when has there been a stigma with renting?

If your friends are going to judge you on that you need new friends.
I work in a team of about 8, all of us are on good salaries yet 4 of them rent and all for different reasons.
My friend was telling me the other day that he is planning on selling his house go travelling for 2 years and then rent for the rest of his days.
I'm not getting the shame of renting.

TeasndToast Tue 24-Apr-18 09:32:58

Oh and no there was never a ‘to let’ sign up in the first place. We got it as soon as it was online and passed checks before they had a chance.

A ‘let’ sign has only been put up to advertise they let it out after the event. The house has never been rented out previously. It was bought, renovated then let so I’m especially miffed they have told the entire street. It’s a cul de sac so I suppose it makes me feel a little more self conscious about it iyswim.

clumsyduck Tue 24-Apr-18 09:34:55

The only issue I have with living next to a rental is the turn over of people ! I will always get nervous when new people move in next to me as Iv had a bad experience in the past at my old house ( think 3 am booming music ) id feel this whether someone bought a house next to me or rented it its just that with a rental there I get more sets of new neighbours if you see what I mean I think 6 in 5 years !

clumsyduck Tue 24-Apr-18 09:35:55

Posted to soon ! Apart from that though I'm not sure what stigma there is to renting ?? Lots of people I know rent , I used to rent ? I certainly wouldn't think much of a friend who would look down on someone for renting !!

ThisIsTheFirstStep Tue 24-Apr-18 09:37:01

Where do you live that people have these mad prejudices?

If someone judged me for renting, I wouldn’t want to know them anyway.

Fromage Tue 24-Apr-18 09:37:56

Most of your friends don't know that you rent - have you told them you've bought the house? And what visitors do you refer to - those of your neighbours, or your own visitors?

I'm sorry, I don't understand this at all. Do people really look down on those who live in a rented home? wtf? I've never known of any stigma surrounding renting, and I rented for years.

SemperIdem Tue 24-Apr-18 09:40:29

confused op you need to chill out.

TeasndToast Tue 24-Apr-18 09:40:33

I don’t think any of my friends would judge me I just choose not to share that information. Being a MN member for years has enlightened me to the private thoughts of some about renting.

We are ‘long term’ tenants, both work full time and want stability for our children and last time were in our property for over a decade until we had to leave London. We intend for this place to be the same so no high turnover.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Tue 24-Apr-18 09:41:30

There's no stigma attached to you personally when renting, people just hate living next door to a rented property because they never know how long the current tenants will stay, and what sort of nightmares may move in next.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Tue 24-Apr-18 09:42:47

Much the same as owners, really, except it's assumed that the rate of turnover in tenants will be far higher.

RedDwarves Tue 24-Apr-18 09:42:52

I think you're deluded if you truly believe people give a hoot if you rent or own.

ThisIsTheFirstStep Tue 24-Apr-18 09:42:55

OP why do you care about others’ private thoughts?

It’s so irrelevant.

People have weird private thoughts about all kinds of people.

Omelette233 Tue 24-Apr-18 09:43:39

The neighbours won’t care if you are renting. I’ll guarantee they already know it’s being put up to rent as they will have known who bought it and why.

Honestly, if you are going to spend the rest of your life worrying about what people think, you are going to be very stressed and miserable xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: