Talk

Advanced search

To stop my fiancé giving money to his brother

(5 Posts)
Upupupup Mon 23-Apr-18 21:07:12

My fiancé has a younger 22 year old brother. This brother lives with his parents, earns about £22k and has no financial commitments other than giving his parents £100 a month and a car to run.

In my mind, he should have plenty of money to spend and save, but he keeps telling my fiancé he’s broke and needs cash and can he help him out. I know he buys a 20 pack of cigarettes a day and goes on holidays a lot, but these are all luxuries. He has already borrowed money from his dad and not paid it back.

Me and fiancé rent a flat in quite an expensive area, and have to spend small fortune on running a car and train tickets. We are Also saving up for a house, which means we never go on holidays. I also can’t understand how his brother is ‘broke’ - I was earning far less when I lived with parents, and had to spend a lot of money on train tickets. He should have a big disposable income.

My fiancé is talking about giving him money and I’m not happy about it seeing as we are looking to buy a house together. If his brother was in genuine need I may think differently but as things stand he should be better off than us! AIBU?

BoxsetsAndPopcorn Mon 23-Apr-18 21:08:54

As long as he is meeting his half of the bills, what he does with the rest of his salary is upto him.

converseandjeans Mon 23-Apr-18 21:11:11

YANBU as it is a pattern that is emerging & it won't stop so long as he keeps giving him money. So think that when you might have kids and he keeps giving his brother money - how would you feel? If you had to go without?

Leeds2 Mon 23-Apr-18 21:13:33

Your DF needs to grow a backbone, and tell his brother "no".

Doubletrouble99 Mon 23-Apr-18 21:15:56

I wouldn't like it either. Try and nip it in the bud.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: